Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question Regarding M.2 And Motherboard

Go to solution Solved by Gamer4714,

Something similar to this on reddit 

 

This is my 2nd build, so I'm not super knowledgeable about specific things like this. I'm going to be using a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master board and two M.2 drives, one smaller one for the OS, and one larger one for my important games. I have a few higher capacity 2.5" drives for all of my other storage needs already. My issue is when plotting everything into PC Part Picker. I'm left with the warning on the bottom that says this:

Note: The motherboard M.2 slot #3 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated with a PCIe-based M.2 drive, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.

 

Am I correct in assuming the bottom slot is slot #3? (The Manual has it listed as M2C_Socket) If so, can I disregard this message and assume I'll have full functionality of those SATA ports until I populate that last M.2 slot?

 

Secondly, when I finally decide to put down the money for another larger sized M.2, which SATA ports lose functionality? The manual doesn't seem to state which ones, although I could have missed this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tsukashi said:

This is my 2nd build, so I'm not super knowledgeable about specific things like this. I'm going to be using a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master board and two M.2 drives, one smaller one for the OS, and one larger one for my important games. I have a few higher capacity 2.5" drives for all of my other storage needs already. My issue is when plotting everything into PC Part Picker. I'm left with the warning on the bottom that says this:

Note: The motherboard M.2 slot #3 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated with a PCIe-based M.2 drive, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.

 

Am I correct in assuming the bottom slot is slot #3? (The Manual has it listed as M2C_Socket) If so, can I disregard this message and assume I'll have full functionality of those SATA ports until I populate that last M.2 slot?

 

Secondly, when I finally decide to put down the money for another larger sized M.2, which SATA ports lose functionality? The manual doesn't seem to state which ones, although I could have missed this.

It means that if you use the last m.2 slot which means the one on the bottom i think, 2 of the sata ports will be disabled as the cpus pcie lanes are shared withthe 2 sata ports and the last m.2.

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me i'll only leave the thread after finding the answer. I'm a programmer and cyber security expert so I can also be summoned to help in any Coding Projects and to help if you're hacked .

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gamer4714 said:

It means that if you use the last m.2 slot which means the one on the bottom i think, 2 of the sata ports will be disabled as the cpus pcie lanes are shared withthe 2 sata ports and the last m.2.

I'm aware of what the warning means, I'm looking for a confirmation on what I don't know already, such as which slot is slot #3, which I already assumed is the bottom slot, and then which SATA ports get disabled when I do populate the 3rd M.2 slot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Something similar to this on reddit 

 

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me i'll only leave the thread after finding the answer. I'm a programmer and cyber security expert so I can also be summoned to help in any Coding Projects and to help if you're hacked .

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gamer4714 said:

Something similar to this on reddit 

 

That was more what I was looking for, thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tsukashi said:

That was more what I was looking for, thank you.

You're welcome

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me i'll only leave the thread after finding the answer. I'm a programmer and cyber security expert so I can also be summoned to help in any Coding Projects and to help if you're hacked .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×