New Build... should I RAID?

Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
1 minute ago, tyrannicpuppy said:

Would doing this remove all benefit of having a 4.0 nvme?

Yes. A RAID1 - array is only as fast as the slowest drive in it.

I'm currently in the process of planning out my first PC build in over a decade as my old tower has just about had it. I've settled on most of the parts, but I am curious as to whether I should try my hand at a RAID array in the new tower when I build it (as my understanding is building one later will require wiping the drives).

The purpose of the computer will be mainly as a Plex Server/HTPC with the occasional gaming (once I can afford to replace the GTX680 I'm keeping from the current tower, can't afford to replace that right now). For serving the media, I'll simply get a few massive HDDs as I don't care if I lose any of the TV or movie files to drive failure. Redownloading or ripping those is so easy as to be laughable these days.

What I'm considering is a PCIe 4.0 nvme C drive on the MB, and I am wondering if there would be any benefit in making a RAID 1 array with a sata ssd (of the same capacity) as the redundancy for that drive. Would doing this remove all benefit of having a 4.0 nvme? Or would I still get the speeds of the nvme and then it copies to the redundant drive after the original operation is completed? This is where I will be storing any vital files that I want to ensure the security of.

So far my budget is mostly used up buying the new MB/CPU/RAM so the tower will be a hodge podge of my exisiting sata drives (mostly HDDs with one SSD) and an nvme as the new boot drive. So I'm considering ways of ensuring redundancy without blowing my budget entirely on nvme drives.

My only experience with RAID to date is on my WD EX4 NAS enclosure, which was preset to RAID5 with the included four HDDs. So I am a total newbie when it comes to this tech and welcome some tips from those more knowledgable than myself.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7 | Zotac GTX 680 AMP | Samsung 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB WD Black 2TB | Coolermaster HAF X | Stock Cooler | Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W ARGB | Windows 10 Pro

Logitech G35 7.1 Surround | Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | LG 27MP48HQ

1 minute ago, tyrannicpuppy said:

Would doing this remove all benefit of having a 4.0 nvme?

Yes. A RAID1 - array is only as fast as the slowest drive in it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Thanks. Looks like it's gonna be pricey if I want local redundancy.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7 | Zotac GTX 680 AMP | Samsung 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB WD Black 2TB | Coolermaster HAF X | Stock Cooler | Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W ARGB | Windows 10 Pro

Logitech G35 7.1 Surround | Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | LG 27MP48HQ

Unless a few hours of down time is intolerable, you would be better off running an automated daily backup of the NVMe drive. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.