Pre-built PC to then Upgrade

So I have been looking into getting a PC for quite a while now, and even have had some friends start to wonder when I'm going to get one. I have been wanting to build one myself but with the scalped prices and the inflation of parts that needed to do one that would be able to run modern games decently, they have started to recommend prebuilts as they would be able to be cheaper and have some more high end components rather than blowing around $1000 for a single part. What would be some good companies to look into for it. I know that LTT has a series of videos that run through the very topic on what is available, what they offer, and if its worth. Asking from the community seems like the next step with some first hand information from people who know a lot more about PCs than I do. And having a baseline for a new owner, I could upgrade as stuff comes out and becomes more readily available and cheaper.

14 minutes ago, ExcitedNoises said:

So I have been looking into getting a PC for quite a while now, and even have had some friends start to wonder when I'm going to get one. I have been wanting to build one myself but with the scalped prices and the inflation of parts that needed to do one that would be able to run modern games decently, they have started to recommend prebuilts as they would be able to be cheaper and have some more high end components rather than blowing around $1000 for a single part. What would be some good companies to look into for it. I know that LTT has a series of videos that run through the very topic on what is available, what they offer, and if its worth. Asking from the community seems like the next step with some first hand information from people who know a lot more about PCs than I do. And having a baseline for a new owner, I could upgrade as stuff comes out and becomes more readily available and cheaper.

Even if you buy a prebuilt (eg not a Dell or HP, but something like cyberpower) you aren't getting away from scalped GPU and CPU prices. Dell and HP locked in prices years or months in advance so they have parts at MSRP but unfortunately they also don't have the configurations people want, so you would have to settle for something that you'd throw expensive parts away to upgrade.

Like, if you can wait 2 years, just buy something that will hold you over (eg laptops tend to be a better deal), as all the PCIe5/DDR5 equipment should be out by then as well. Otherwise unless you haven't upgraded in a decade, I'd suggest making your existing computer last as long as possible.

GPU's are unobtainium, and unless you want to settle for 5 year old parts, or "better than nothing" options, you likely can't even get one to upgrade anyway.

image.thumb.png.47dcb18343e3ab309890224128e5ec0e.png

On 4/16/2021 at 8:36 PM, Kisai said:

Even if you buy a prebuilt (eg not a Dell or HP, but something like cyberpower) you aren't getting away from scalped GPU and CPU prices. Dell and HP locked in prices years or months in advance so they have parts at MSRP but unfortunately they also don't have the configurations people want, so you would have to settle for something that you'd throw expensive parts away to upgrade.

Like, if you can wait 2 years, just buy something that will hold you over (eg laptops tend to be a better deal), as all the PCIe5/DDR5 equipment should be out by then as well. Otherwise unless you haven't upgraded in a decade, I'd suggest making your existing computer last as long as possible.

GPU's are unobtainium, and unless you want to settle for 5 year old parts, or "better than nothing" options, you likely can't even get one to upgrade anyway.

image.thumb.png.47dcb18343e3ab309890224128e5ec0e.png

Thing is, I don’t have a ‘laptop’. Closest thing I have personally is a chromebook that I’ve had for 3-4ish years. And with most applications and games requiring windows to work or other OSs, it’s just something that I’ve always been wanting to do. I could try and load windows onto it but with limited knowledge it’s not really gonna work for me. A laptop could work, and like you said, tide me over for now, but atleast it’s something to use until prices eventually would level out.