Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Desk computer shelf

Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
42 minutes ago, Britishblue said:

I'm not 100% sure this belongs on this forum but I recently got an IKEA desk. (IKEA Fredde.) And It has an area for your pc  below the desk. I have a mid tower case. Are these normally good? I really don't want it coming out and my pc falling or something. I'm probably just being way too paranoid. Thanks

I have the same desk. Ive had it at least a year is not longer. I have a Mini ITX system currently and it fits just fine. No issues. I had a mid tower case system as well that once sat under it, no issue. Currently one side has my PC and the other has my modem and UPS (weights a ton btw). 

I'm not 100% sure this belongs on this forum but I recently got an IKEA desk. (IKEA Fredde.) And It has an area for your pc  below the desk. I have a mid tower case. Are these normally good? I really don't want it coming out and my pc falling or something. I'm probably just being way too paranoid. Thanks

Some general thoughts (though I don't know tons about that desk in particular)

1. it is good to keep the computer off the floor from a dust perspective. Two slabs or wood could do that if you don't feel like installing the shelf. 

2. You can rope your system to the desk

3. It's unlikely the shelf on the desk will physically fail unless you put A LOT of weight

4. Depending on the gear in your computer, it falling might not matter. If you don't have harddrives or optical disk drives... there's no moving parts other than fans. The only thing to worry about then would be the heatsink... that may or may not be a concern. 

R9 3900x; 64GB RAM | RTX 2080 | 1.5TB Optane P4800x

1TB ADATA XPG Pro 8200 SSD | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD
HD800 + SCHIIT VALI | Topre Realforce Keyboard

42 minutes ago, Britishblue said:

I have the same desk. Ive had it at least a year is not longer. I have a Mini ITX system currently and it fits just fine. No issues. I had a mid tower case system as well that once sat under it, no issue. Currently one side has my PC and the other has my modem and UPS (weights a ton btw). 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It looks like the PC shelves are supported on two edges (the side and back), so they should be fine.

If you want to be extra safe, you could add a support leg near the front inside corner of each shelf. It could be something as simple as a piece of closet rod or lumber cut to length and wedged in place. Paint it to match the desk and put one on both sides to maintain symmetry, and they shouldn't be too noticeable unless you're looking for them.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

It looks like the PC shelves are supported on two edges (the side and back), so they should be fine.

If you want to be extra safe, you could add a support leg near the front inside corner of each shelf. It could be something as simple as a piece of closet rod or lumber cut to length and wedged in place. Paint it to match the desk and put one on both sides to maintain symmetry, and they shouldn't be too noticeable unless you're looking for them.

That might be a good idea. I just get really worried about this sort of stuff. It's probably fine but that would give peace of mind

31 minutes ago, Britishblue said:

That might be a good idea. I just get really worried about this sort of stuff. It's probably fine but that would give peace of mind

put some books under it so they push up on the shelf a little.

14 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Now i knew which desk im going for next, just need to find a fitting third monitor that has height adjustment.

Thanks.

ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 3600 at 4GHz/1.2vMasterLiquid ML360R RGB | PNY Geforce RTX 2080 Super OC 8GB Gaming | Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 (2x 8GB) 3000 MHz | Fractal Design 750w Integra M | Intel 600p - 256 GB (M.2) | Samsung EVO 850 - 500 GB | Samsung EVO Pro 850 - 250 GB Fractal Design R6 Black (Silent) | 3x FractalDesign Dynamic X2 GW-14 & 3x CoolerMaster 120mm "RGB"

Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7 240hz/1ms, ACER Predator XB271H A 144hz/1ms. (Yeah i sold the Philips 273ELH to a friend XD)

Car(s): Volvo V70 D3 2016

3 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Now i knew which desk im going for next, just need to find a fitting third monitor that has height adjustment.

Thanks.

I run two ultrawides, it was a challenge. If your using 16:9 screens on a smaller size then 3 could work. The only thing that sucks about this desk is that you cant really use monitor arms with it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

I run two ultrawides, it was a challenge. If your using 16:9 screens on a smaller size then 3 could work. The only thing that sucks about this desk is that you cant really use monitor arms with it. 

Currently got 2x 16:9 monitors. One ACER predator and one Samsung Odessy G7.

Hoping to get an ASUS 27 inch VQ 165hz as a third monitor.

Going 144hz+, no more 60hz here.

ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 3600 at 4GHz/1.2vMasterLiquid ML360R RGB | PNY Geforce RTX 2080 Super OC 8GB Gaming | Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 (2x 8GB) 3000 MHz | Fractal Design 750w Integra M | Intel 600p - 256 GB (M.2) | Samsung EVO 850 - 500 GB | Samsung EVO Pro 850 - 250 GB Fractal Design R6 Black (Silent) | 3x FractalDesign Dynamic X2 GW-14 & 3x CoolerMaster 120mm "RGB"

Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7 240hz/1ms, ACER Predator XB271H A 144hz/1ms. (Yeah i sold the Philips 273ELH to a friend XD)

Car(s): Volvo V70 D3 2016