Convert mbr to gpt format via cmd without losing data

Maor94

Pretty straight forward, how can i convert a disk format to gpt from mbr without losing the data on the disk?

• 2 months later...
On 4/16/2021 at 11:43 AM, Maor94 said:

Pretty straight forward, how can i convert a disk format to gpt from mbr without losing the data on the disk?

On 4/16/2021 at 11:46 AM, rickeo said:

I can confirm that the recommended method in the link provided works flawlessly with no issues.

If you follow the instructions as lineout, it should take no longer than a couple of minutes to execute.

Checking MBR or GPT partition style

Checking MBR or GPT partition style

Before modifying your system configuration, we recommend checking your current settings to see if the system is set to MBR or GPT using these steps:

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for Disk Management and click the top result to open the experience.
  3. Right-click the drive (where Windows 10 is installed) and select the Properties option.

/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2019/04/disk-management-properties.jpg

4. Click on the Volumes tab.
  5. Under the "Partition style" field, if the field reads GUID Partition Table (GPT), the drive doesn't need conversion, but if you see the Master Boot Record (MBR) label, you can use the conversion tool to switch.

/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2019/04/check-mbr-gpt-windows-10-drive.jpg

6. Click the Cancel button.

Once you complete these steps, you'll know if it's necessary to change the partition style on your device.

Also, if you need to change the partition, make sure to check your device manufacturer's support website to find out if the hardware includes support for UEFI before using these instructions.

Converting MBR to GPT partition style (recommended)

Converting MBR to GPT partition style (recommended)

To convert a drive using MBR to GPT on Windows 10, use these steps:

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Update & Security.
  3. Click on Recovery.
  4. Under the "Advanced startup" section, click the Restart now button.

/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2019/04/windows-10-recovery-advanced-startup-button.jpg

5. Click the Troubleshoot option.

/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2019/04/advanced-startup-troubleshoot.jpg

6. Click on Advanced options.

/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2019/04/advanced-startup-advancedoptions.jpg

7. Click the Command Prompt option.

/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2019/04/advanced-startup-commandprompt.jpg

8. Select your administrator account and sign in with your credentials (if applicable).
  9. Type the following command to validate that the drive meets the requirements and press Enter:

mbr2gpt /validate

/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2019/04/mbr2gpt-validate-command-windows-10.jpg

Quick tip: The mbr2gpt.exe is located in the "System32" folder inside the "Windows" folder. If you want to see all the available options, you can use the mbr2gpt /? command.

10. Type the following command to convert the drive from MBR to GPT and press Enter:

mbr2gpt /convert

/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2019/04/mbr2gpt-convert-windows-10.jpg

11. Click the Close button in the top-right corner of the console.
  12. Click the Turn off your PC option.

After you complete the steps, several actions will take place, including validation of the drive and creation of an EFI system partition (ESP). The UEFI boot files and GPT components will be added to the partition. Then the MBR2GPT tool will update the Boot Configuration Data (BCD), and the previous letter will be added to the drive.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER