Help choosing a new laptop

Hello,

I was hoping somone could help me choose a new laptop for my friends kid? She is going to start home schooling and her Mum wants something she can work on. I know that school work wont require much of any power but Id like to get the best bang for the buck within the price range (£400) just so its as versatile as possible for anything else they may want it for (basic gaming etc).

In this price range the CPU models confuse the crap out of me - I have no idea how one compares to another and I assume it will be intergrated graphics which again, I dont really know much about.

Any advise would be muchly appriciated :D

how about a refurbished Lenovo T470,

it wont offer exceptional gaming performance, but simple games or games at lower graphics will work just fine.

And they hold their value pretty good

2 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

how about a refurbished Lenovo T470,

it wont offer exceptional gaming performance, but simple games or games at lower graphics will work just fine.

And they hold their value pretty good

I would not assume any random child is a pc gamer

1 minute ago, curiousmind34 said:

I would not assume any random child is a pc gamer

thats not a gaming laptop

Just now, Haraikomono said:

thats not a gaming laptop

I’m saying to not consider gaming performance, even fore simple games

Just now, curiousmind34 said:

I’m saying to not consider gaming performance, even fore simple games

well

21 minutes ago, messy said:

just so its as versatile as possible for anything else they may want it for (basic gaming etc)

read this ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KUU-X13-Laptop-13-5-inch/dp/B08X13NK7H/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=i3+laptop+under+400&qid=1618590585&sr=8-12
i3, 256 gig ssd, 1440p, 8gb ram. This is basically all you can ask for that price. The housing material is also metal.

If you can get past the fact that it is not a well known brand, it’s a pretty good spec.

Yea, so its mainly just for school work - somekind of gaming ability would be nice but is an after thought.

Also - if people could explain why they suggest teh laptops they suggest? Which are good CPUs to look for in this budget range?

5 minutes ago, messy said:

Yea, so its mainly just for school work - somekind of gaming ability would be nice but is an after thought.

Also - if people could explain why they suggest teh laptops they suggest? Which are good CPUs to look for in this budget range?

i3 and ryzen 3 would be ideal. If you can stay away from pentiums, celerons, or A-series chips, that’s pretty good

18 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

i3 and ryzen 3 would be ideal. If you can stay away from pentiums, celerons, or A-series chips, that’s pretty good

I have come accross a lot of i3's before in use by office workers who were just using MS office and web browsing - even with that load they were struggaling so I am a bit wary of them.

If I look at refurbished laptops things like i5-4300U or even 6200u become available - I assume these would be a noticable improvement?

*EDIT* - huh, actually, it seems like the 4300u has better single core performance than the 6200?

think im leaning toward a ASUS VivoBook F515JA.

opinions?