A very strange issue while connecting to some services

HeyCrest
Go to solution Solved by AMD A10-9600P,

I don't think this is anything that can be helped. You'll just need to wait for the ISP to sort the issue out. Sounds like an outage across a large area of your country may have happened.

Hi. I was playing a game on my PC (Valorant) and had Discord running in the background. Suddenly, my game said it cannot connect to its servers. At the same time, a friend from a different city texted me if Valorant is down. I said yes, as we both faced the same issue. I closed the game, to find that Discord was down for me as well. I asked my friend and they confirmed its down for them too. Then I asked my friends circle, and 3 of them have Discord down, while 4 have it up. Things got even stranger when I found out that if I switch to my carrier datapack from wifi, Discord phone app works fine. But if I switch my phone from cellular data to wifi, discord gets a connection error. On top of that, my friend sent me a discord text while I was connected to wifi (cellular data was off), and I received the text in notifications but when I opened the app it won't load. YouTube, Twitch etc. websites are working fine on wifi, on all devices.

So to sum it up, me and a few of my friends cannot connect to Discord on our Wifi, but can connect if we switch to cellular data. The rest of my friends can connect to Discord on their Wifi. The same friends who cannot connect to Discord, also cannot connect to the game servers. Note: each friend lives in a different place and has a different ISP/wifi.

I am so confused, some things seem to work on some wifis while they don't on others. But everyone's wifi, on its own, seems to work as all the popular websites are loading fine for all. Please help, what (and where) could be the problem?!

I don't think this is anything that can be helped. You'll just need to wait for the ISP to sort the issue out. Sounds like an outage across a large area of your country may have happened.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

9 minutes ago, HeyCrest said:

Please help, what (and where) could be the problem?!

Sounds like an interruption in the connection between your ISP, nodes in between and the game server. Your cellular network probably isn't affected since they use alternate network routes to the same server.

You can try using a VPN connection to see if it happens to bypass that interruption but you might run into latency issues.

Just have to wait to see if your ISP can redirect their traffic around the interrupted segment.

14 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

You're right, just half a minute ago services have been restored.