Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

0b size in boot drive

Hi! I have been trying to fix my laptop for 2 months, I can't seem to fix it. I can't access my laptop cause it's drive has 0b size in diskpart, and it doesn't get recognized in the bios, I tried chkdsk with no luck. Any help will be appreciated

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the drive is just dead

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Maybe the drive is just dead

Maybe, but the drive is still spinning, but it boots into winre, it should be like "Boot device missing, Please insert boot drive". Thanks for helping

 

Edit: also the said drive is the boot drive, it still shows signs of life, I don't wanna lose my data in that drive

Edited by mayapaya15
More info
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mayapaya15 said:

Maybe, but the drive is still spinning, but it boots into winre, it should be like "Boot device missing, Please insert boot drive". Thanks for helping

 

Edit: also the said drive is the boot drive, it still shows signs of life, I don't wanna lose my data in that drive

The drive can spin even if it's gone bad it just won't read any data, what signs of life? Did you try plugging it into another computer as 2nd drive?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Kanna said:

The drive can spin even if it's gone bad it just won't read any data, what signs of life? Did you try plugging it into another computer as 2nd drive?

No, I meant that it still being recognized by windows and sets it as a boot drive but boots into winre, My assumption is that this drive turned into a format which windows doesn't support

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mayapaya15 said:

No, I meant that it still being recognized by windows and sets it as a boot drive but boots into winre, My assumption is that this drive turned into a format which windows doesn't support

Not on its own it didn't. I assume its using GPT, it sounds like the main partition on the drive is corrupted but the boot/recovery partitions remain intact.

 

Best thing to do is boot into a Linux live environment using something like Ubuntu, fire up GParted and see how that reads the drive. If you take a screenshot of GParted we should be able to tell you exactly what is happening.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Not on its own it didn't. I assume its using GPT, it sounds like the main partition on the drive is corrupted but the boot/recovery partitions remain intact.

 

Best thing to do is boot into a Linux live environment using something like Ubuntu, fire up GParted and see how that reads the drive. If you take a screenshot of GParted we should be able to tell you exactly what is happening.

Can I do that with a USB stick? Sorry if I only replied now

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mayapaya15 said:

Can I do that with a USB stick? Sorry if I only replied now

Yep though you'll need access to another computer to write the USB.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yep though you'll need access to another computer to write the USB.

im doing it rn, also ur pc spec hawt

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yep though you'll need access to another computer to write the USB.

i found one at cnet, does it boot into the live environment or its an installer?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mayapaya15 said:

i found one at cnet, does it boot into the live environment or its an installer?

 

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

 

When you first boot it it will ask if you want to Try or Install, click Try and it will boot to desktop.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

 

When you first boot it it will ask if you want to Try or Install, click Try and it will boot to desktop.

Ok, I'll do it tomorrow, I'll use this as my only hope

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

 

When you first boot it it will ask if you want to Try or Install, click Try and it will boot to desktop.

new problem, m laptop alwas boots into automatic repair, even if i change the boot order 😕

 

image.thumb.png.7c578f50784faa4edf5b9482ed7f9547.pngand also, is this normal?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2021 at 11:49 PM, Master Disaster said:

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

 

When you first boot it it will ask if you want to Try or Install, click Try and it will boot to desktop.

Okay, booted into gparted and it shows me this, it seems it recognizes the drive has a problem, it also recognized the drive is unallocated

IMG_20210422_180814.jpg

16190863636301062691242.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mayapaya15 said:

Okay, booted into gparted and it shows me this, it seems it recognizes the drive has a problem

Yeah, I/O error is not good. I'd be confident in saying the drive is dead. Sorry.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah, I/O error is not good. I'd be confident in saying the drive is dead. Sorry.

Can I do anything to bring it back? Like format it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah, I/O error is not good. I'd be confident in saying the drive is dead. Sorry.

I edited my reply, maybe more information? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mayapaya15 said:

I edited my reply, maybe more information? 

Oh, hang on a minute.

 

Yeah it might be fine. The problem is with SDA1 which is a partition, SDA is the drive label. Try to format it and see if it works or fails.

 

In GParted you have to actually click Apply after making changes for it to do anything.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×