NVME SSD Upgrade for Dell OptiPlex 790

We have a Dell OpliPlex 790 in the office for work and is currently using an HDD. I was planning to do an upgrade in the storage since we have a defective S340-15IWL Laptop which has a 512GB M2 NVME 2242 SSD. My goal is to set this SSD as main boot for my OS. What are the things I need to have to do an upgrade?

There is no easy way to boot from nvme on those systems. Id just get a sata ssd, and use the nvme drive in anouther system.

If you want to be hacky, you can put the boot loader on a usb, and get a pcie to m.2 adapter, but really go with a sata ssd.

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

There is no easy way to boot from nvme on those systems. Id just get a sata ssd, and use the nvme drive in anouther system.

If you want to be hacky, you can put the boot loader on a usb, and get a pcie to m.2 adapter, but really go with a sata ssd.

thanks for your response, did some research and i see issues booting up an nvme, since i want to prioritize what i have first, i found some sata ssd adapter that converts nvme m2 is it worth to try? 

image.png.c64f8a42718df854b0119782fbe4ab26.png

3 minutes ago, kriemheld said:

thanks for your response, did some research and i see issues booting up an nvme, since i want to prioritize what i have first, i found some sata ssd adapter that converts nvme m2 is it worth to try? 

image.png.c64f8a42718df854b0119782fbe4ab26.png

That isn't a sata to pcie adatper. That is a 2.5in u.2 drive, so its for servers moslty, and sata cables won't fit.

i think i found the right one, if i ran out of options might as well opt to sata ssd

image.png.db60024e0820f3bf94be839d54ddf9c8.png

14 minutes ago, kriemheld said:

i think i found the right one, if i ran out of options might as well opt to sata ssd

Nvme uses pci-e lanes, that won't work since it only plugs to a sata port.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

14 minutes ago, kriemheld said:

oh well i think it may not fit in this adapter.. this is the actual nvme based on the FRU.. thank you so much for your help

image.png.b22125b9f97132530767202451ce84a1.png

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

Nvme uses pci-e lanes, that won't work since it only plugs to a sata port.

i see, will probably go for a sata ssd. thanks