Windows refuses to detect (or rather use) my GPU.

kidunfortunate_

So I decided updating windows after bugging me about it for a solid 3 weeks, and before the update, everything was fine. I had 144hz compatibility, and all the good stuff. Now, post-update, windows removed nvidia control panel, I can no longer use 144hz, I get occasional bsod's (I used to get them from absolutely nothing, but after running mdsched.exe, it is now much rarer I get a bsod, though it still happens. Windows never did tell me what exactly was wrong with my ram, even in event viewer.), windows won't detect my gpu (gtx 1060 3gb), and it's now stuck in my "Other Devices" tab called "Unknown Device". I know it's my gpu because when I right click it and click update driver and search automatically, it tells me that it's a gtx 1060 3gb, and also that it failed to install drivers. And when I tried updating my drivers through geforce experience, it tells me the package is corrupt. My c drive still has a bit over 20 gigs of space left. I currently have no graphics driver installed. When I tried installing it directly from the nvidia website, it never works. It doesn't give a specific error. I then deleted the file, downloaded from the nvidia website again, but this time, I extracted it using Bandizip, and ran "setup.exe". That also didn't work. As I already said, from trying to update my drivers in Device Manager, I clicked the "Search automatically for drivers" option, and it gives me a driver for my gpu, which I presume is the right one because it literally says geforce gtx 1060 3gb. That didn't work. So now that I have my drivers extracted, I tried going back into device manager and installing the drivers manually. Guess what happened. Absolutely nothing. It didn't work either. So now I'm stuck here with a computer that runs ROBLOX at 0.1 fps. And the gpu that Windows wants to use is called "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (No ACPI support)". What happened to my computer? Please help. I have also tried reinstalling Windows via the Windows media creation tool, but that didn't work, just giving me this. "0x8007025D - 0x2000C The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation." Please, someone tell me what is happening to my PC. I don't know what went awry as I've updated windows tons of times before with no issue at all, but this is horrible.

Quick thought:  was it ONLY the windows update that changed? No cables go moved or anything (have to ask)  I tried to roll back a windows install and it didn’t work.  The reason was because the old driver I had worked but the new one didn’t include my weird antique hardware (very large very fast for its time Korean grey-market crossover monitor) and effectively erased the working driver and replaced it with a non-working one so there was no roll back.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Quick thought:  was it ONLY the windows update that changed? No cables go moved or anything (have to ask)  I tried to roll back a windows install and it didn’t work.  The reason was because the old driver I had worked but the new one didn’t include my weird antique hardware (very large very fast for its time Korean grey-market crossover monitor) and effectively erased the working driver and replaced it with a non-working one so there was no roll back.  

Not that I know of. I know that Windows actually detects the gpu and knows it's there, and knows what it is, but just doesn't want to use it, presumably from the fact that I currently have no drivers installed. But why windows doesn't want to install the updated drivers? No clue. Now I just have the drivers downloaded to my desktop collecting dust because it doesn't wanna install them.

I might just try resetting windows as a last resort. If that doesn't work... f*ck.

2 minutes ago, kidunfortunate_ said:

Not that I know of. I know that Windows actually detects the gpu and knows it's there, and knows what it is, but just doesn't want to use it, presumably from the fact that I currently have no drivers installed. But why windows doesn't want to install the updated drivers? No clue. Now I just have the drivers downloaded to my desktop collecting dust because it doesn't wanna install them.

Ah.  Different problem. Getting retriecent the drivers to load.

There’s an app called DDU that might help if you uninstalled old ones but didn’t use it.  You also may be possibly forgetting something basic.  One never knows with that sort of stuff.  This gets outside my knowledge base but possibly not of others here.

7 minutes ago, kidunfortunate_ said:

I might just try resetting windows as a last resort. If that doesn't work... f*ck.

there may be hope here.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah.  Different problem. Getting retriecent the drivers to load.

There’s an app called DDU that might help if you uninstalled old ones but didn’t use it.  You also may be possibly forgetting something basic.  One never knows with that sort of stuff.  This gets outside my knowledge base but possibly not of others here.

there may be hope here.  

I didn't try DDU because I already manually uninstalled the drivers in add/remove programs built in to windows.

11 minutes ago, kidunfortunate_ said:

I didn't try DDU because I already manually uninstalled the drivers in add/remove programs built in to windows.

Yeah.  That’s actually why DDU exists.  That often doesn’t work right.  DDU is a way to change a gpu without having to do a reinstall to get rid of the old driver bits. Still might be a good idea.  It’s pretty hardcore.  Read and follow the instructions especially including the bit about safe mode. 

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah.  That’s actually why DDU exists.  That often doesn’t work right.  DDU is a way to change a gpu without having to do a reinstall to get rid of the old driver bits. Still might be a good idea.  It’s pretty hardcore.  Read and follow the instructions especially including the bit about safe mode. 

19282231_drivererror.png.2ddab16591e5951446403cf96b58b2b4.png

Yeah, I'll try it anyways. This error shows up when I try updating drivers via Device Manager, both manually, and automatically.