Not able to run RAM at right speed

Captain Insano

I just got new RAM for my computer and when I went into the BIOS to enable XMP the computer wouldn't post afterwards. The EZ debug was on for the CPU and DRAM. I cleared the CMOS and then it posted, but when I checked task manager the speed was only 2133 Mhz instead of 3600.

The mobo is an Asrock B550 M Steel legend

The CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600

The RAM is G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 16  GB

It maybe that your CPU's memory controller can't handle those speeds which is apart of the silicon lottery so you may need to manually plug in voltage, timings and frequency in to your motherboards RAM OC section to get it running at speeds close to the ones advertised.

16 minutes ago, BrokenProgram01 said:

It maybe that your CPU's memory controller can't handle those speeds which is apart of the silicon lottery so you may need to manually plug in voltage, timings and frequency in to your motherboards RAM OC section to get it running at speeds close to the ones advertised.

A Zen 2 can handle 3600Mhz. No issues there.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

36 minutes ago, Captain Insano said:

I just got new RAM for my computer and when I went into the BIOS to enable XMP the computer wouldn't post afterwards. The EZ debug was on for the CPU and DRAM. I cleared the CMOS and then it posted, but when I checked task manager the speed was only 2133 Mhz instead of 3600.

The mobo is an Asrock B550 M Steel legend

The CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600

The RAM is G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 16  GB

Do you have the RAM in the correct slots? It should be A2 and B2, the 2nd and 4th slots, counting from the CPU side.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Try enabling the XMP profile but set the DRAM frequency to 3200 instead of 3600 and see if it will boot. If it does then it would 3600 not stable. i would RMA it

7 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

A Zen 2 can handle 3600Mhz. No issues there.

I understand that Zen 2 can reach 3600MHz but what I was saying is that he may have gotten a weaker RAM controller so his ram may need a bit more voltage to reach the desired speeds although I wouldn't do this unless you know how much voltage DDR4 can take

edit: RAM controller not CPU controller

3 minutes ago, BrokenProgram01 said:

I understand that Zen 2 can reach 3600MHz but what I was saying is that he may have gotten a weaker RAM controller so his ram may need a bit more voltage to reach the desired speeds although I wouldn't do this unless you know how much voltage DDR4 can take

edit: RAM controller not CPU controller

And I was saying that's simply not a thing that's going to happen on a Zen 2 chip.

17 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Do you have the RAM in the correct slots? It should be A2 and B2, the 2nd and 4th slots, counting from the CPU side.

Yeah I have the RAM in the slots that are indicated. 

21 minutes ago, Max392 said:

Try enabling the XMP profile but set the DRAM frequency to 3200 instead of 3600 and see if it will boot. If it does then it would 3600 not stable. i would RMA it

So I tried this and it did work, but I also changed another setting in the BIOS so I'm going to see if I can get higher.

Just now, Captain Insano said:

So I tried this and it did work, but I also changed another setting in the BIOS so I'm going to see if I can get higher.

I would return and get new different since it sound like ram controller can't handle it.

Just now, Max392 said:

I would return and get new different since it sound like ram controller can't handle it.

I'm not sure that OP can. 3600 MT/s RAM is out of spec for a Ryzen 5 3600.

It seems that OP has just gotten unlucky.

elephants

Just now, Max392 said:

Yeah it did not boot. Looks like you were right. Thanks for the help.

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I'm not sure that OP can. 3600 MT/s RAM is out of spec for a Ryzen 5 3600.

It seems that OP has just gotten unlucky.

It shouldnt problem

Just now, Max392 said:

It shouldnt problem

It shouldn't be a problem to RMA, or shouldn't be a problem to run the RAM at 3600 MT/s?

If the first, yes, it could. Not being able to run RAM faster than it was designed to be does not count as a manufacturing fault.

4 minutes ago, Captain Insano said:

Yeah it did not boot. Looks like you were right. Thanks for the help.

Again, remember, the Ryzen 5 3600 is only guaranteed to run RAM at up to 3200 MT/s. Anything above is technically an overclock and is not guaranteed to work.

elephants

5 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

It shouldn't be a problem to RMA, or shouldn't be a problem to run the RAM at 3600 MT/s?

If the first, yes, it could. Not being able to run RAM faster than it was designed to be does not count as a manufacturing fault.

Ah yes you're right, my bad

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

Again, remember, the Ryzen 5 3600 is only guaranteed to run RAM at up to 3200 MT/s. Anything above is technically an overclock and is not guaranteed to work.

All RAM over 3200MHz is an OC. That's as high as JDEC goes, and even that's fairly recent. Everything was 2666Mhz before that. If the RAM is rated at 3600Mhz, it should run at 3600Mhz. It's supposed to be binned.

58 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

If the RAM is rated at 3600Mhz, it should run at 3600Mhz. It's supposed to be binned.

The RAM may be very well capable of running at 3600 MT/s, but that does not mean that the IMC, or Integrated Memory Controller, is capable of it.

That's what I'm trying to say.

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

The RAM may be very well capable of running at 3600 MT/s, but that does not mean that the IMC, or Integrated Memory Controller, is capable of it.

That's what I'm trying to say.

Granted, but I've never heard of an IMC on a Zen 2 that couldn't handle 3600Mhz. That would have to be a seriously bad chip.

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

Granted, but I've never heard of an IMC on a Zen 2 that couldn't handle 3600Mhz. That would have to be a seriously bad chip.

I haven't either, but you can have varied success with the silicon lottery.

Perhaps they have one of the original batches, that wasn't as powerful?

elephants