NVMe drive not recognized on BIOS then booting normally

Long time lurker, first time member/poster. Hi!

I'm having weird "issues" with my NVMe SSD. Got an ADATA Swordfish NVMe [500GB] three months ago. Two weeks ago I got BSOD'd (can't remember the error code) and after the reboot my booting drive wasn't being recognized (got the "Select a proper boot device" screen), and after powering off the system via the motherboard and starting it again it booted normally so I didn't get worried.

Today, I was watching some videos and something weird happened. First, my taskbar froze (Chrome was working and I could alt-tab through windows just fine), then it disappeared and after that my screen except for the mouse cursor went black (I could hear the audio just fine still). I thought explorer.exe stopped working or something so after pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete to open the Task Manager I got a BSOD with the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error. All that happened in a span of 15 seconds. The system rebooted and got the "Select a proper boot device" screen again. Rebooted the system and went to the BIOS setup, my NVMe drive wasn't on the drives list. Rebooted again and went to the Boot Menu, my ADATA SSD was there so I selected it and it booted just fine. I ran a CHKDSK test and no errors were found. That's where I'm at, thanks for reading all that.

So my question is, should I get worried? CHKDSK found no errors and my system works fine all the time but that whole event before the BSOD got me worried.

These are my PC components.:

• Mobo: AsRock B450m Pro4-F
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
  • RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB 3200MHz x2 (16GB)
  • GPU: GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA, the tiny one)
  • Storage: ADATA Swordfish 500GB (on the NVMe M.2 slot) and Kingston SA400S 960GB (on the SATA_1 slot)
  • PSU: CoolerMaster Elite V4 600W 80+ White

Nothing is OC'd besides my RAM@3200MHz and nothing gets too hot even on load according to HWMonitor

It could be a motherboard issue, but these errors indicate that some process in the OS space (like a driver) shat it's pants and it could a one time occurrence, it is weird that it asked you do chose a boot device afterwards which is what I am wondering if it could be the mother board but also it could have been the nvme driver that died, just make sure you don't see smoke or smell burn capacitors and you should be ok.

Also I love milanesas and milanesa sandwiches!

34 minutes ago, AndrewTheFrenchMan said:

It could be a motherboard issue, but these errors indicate that some process in the OS space (like a driver) shat it's pants and it could a one time occurrence, it is weird that it asked you do chose a boot device afterwards which is what I am wondering if it could be the mother board but also it could have been the nvme driver that died, just make sure you don't see smoke or smell burn capacitors and you should be ok.

Also I love milanesas and milanesa sandwiches!

I'll definitely keep an eye and nose on that

I'm glad you enjoy the best dish/food on this blesed planet, milanesas are the best