PC shutting down on its own

79Brownie

Hi everyone,

I recently built my first ever PC and ever since day 1, I've noticed it does this weird thing where if I shut it down at night and turn it on in the morning it loads up to the windows loading screen and then shuts down. but when I turn it on for the second time it loads just fine. anybody ever experience anything like this? Does it just clear the residual power in the system?

the specs of the PC are:
MSI B450-A pro max
Ryzen 5 3600X
G-skill Ripjaws 3600mhz CL19

Gigabyte GTX 1650 OC

Thermaltake smart 500W 80Plus

500gb Kingston A400 SSD

1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

It could be a few things:

1. Power supply has issues

2. motherboard is broken or has a false contact with one of the 24 pins

3. overheating

But if the automatic reboot is very repeatable and consistent it might be some weird driver issue with the motherboard

24 minutes ago, AndrewTheFrenchMan said:

It could be a few things:

1. Power supply has issues

2. motherboard is broken or has a false contact with one of the 24 pins

3. overheating

But if the automatic reboot is very repeatable and consistent it might be some weird driver issue with the motherboard

it doesn't reboot on its automatically. i have to press the power button after its shuts down. also it only happens when i shut down, sometimes when i put it to sleep cause i have some unfinished work open it turns on normally. 

It could either be power supply issues, motherboard drivers/issues and or graphics card, or even hard drive if you're getting a blue screen.

I'd suggest you do some troubleshooting, run your computer on safe mode for a couple of hours and see if it happens. Try using another hard drive. If nothing seems to work, I'd just do a full clean up and windows installation. Hopefully this helps you.

Just now, 79Brownie said:

it doesn't reboot on its automatically. i have to press the power button after its shuts down. also it only happens when i shut down, sometimes when i put it to sleep cause i have some unfinished work open it turns on normally. 

Check all of your plugs in the I/O or power supply, make sure you're not the one unplugging things with your feet or something is loose. 

Just now, Fernandie said:

Check all of your plugs in the I/O or power supply, make sure you're not the one unplugging things with your feet or something is loose. 

ive checked all I/O plugs and connections to the motherboard/power supply multiple times. i do get blue screen some days and most days it just shuts down. i suspect its a driver or motherboard issue but i think its a bit beyond my paygrade. appreciate your suggestions tho !