Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Power Supply fan direction?

I just found out that the psu fan is meant to face downwards in a case instead of upwards into the case. I installed my fan with it facing upwards. Is this fine. Been using for ages no issues. Is this okay?

2 minutes ago, Britishblue said:

I just found out that the psu fan is meant to face downwards in a case instead of upwards into the case. I installed my fan with it facing upwards. Is this fine. Been using for ages no issues. Is this okay?

Fan up is fine, it's how I have mine.

The fan sucks air in and blows it through the PSU and out the back where the power cord is. Having your fan face up essentially gives you an extra case exhaust fan.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

It depends on the case, if the case doesn't have a hole on bottom then you should have it facing upwards.

Having it pointing downwards just stops it fighting with your GPU for air. It's not very important.

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

The PSU's fan can point either direction.

The fan sucks in air and exhausts it out the back.

Typically it's recommended to have the PSU's fan pointed down, so it does not intake the hot air from the GPU/CPU in the system.

I say it is typically recommended, because if your PC sits on (plush) carpet that can suffocate the fan.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Fan up is fine, it's how I have mine.

The fan sucks air in and blows it through the PSU and out the back where the power cord is. Having your fan face up essentially gives you an extra case exhaust fan.

Thanks for this :). Helped me out

Fan down sucks fresh air from the outside of the case, to cool the PSU components. Unless it's on a plush carpet.

Fan up, sucks warm air from inside the case. This can be good if the exhaust airflow is lacking in your case and the warmer air shouldn't really affect negatively the components of the PSU or of the GPU.

It doesn't really matter whichever direction it is facing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Britishblue said:

Mine's fan up.

Wouldn't case design matter a lot here?

Many modern cases have a PSU shroud that's pretty tight and solid, which I think would make down-facing pretty much mandatory?

I think those without the shroud, facing up would help overall with case exhaust.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i9-10900KF 5.1-5.3ghz @ 1.365v // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite AX // 32GB (4x8) Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 4000/CL18 // ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC // Corsair 275R Airflow // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultrafear 27GL83A-B/Lenovo L24Q-30/Lenovo L24Q-30 // Razer Black Widow TE Chroma // Razer Viper Ultimate // Corsair H70 Gaming Headset

Wife's System: i7-8700 // Arctic Freezer 33 // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon 5700 XT RAW II // NZXT S340 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: AOC AGON AG241QX/ASUS VG248QEASUS VP248Q // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602 // LG BDRW // NexStar 5.25" USB 3 Enclosure

TV Gamer: i7-8700k 5.0ghz All-core delidded @1.375v // Deepcool Gamerstorm Assassin III // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 // Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 // Corsair 275R Airflow // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

TV Gamer 2: Intel i3-10100 // ASRock H410M-HDV/M.2 // 16GB (2x8) DDR4 T-Force Vulcan 2666 // XFX RX 580 8GB XXX Edition // Rosewill FBM-X2 // Gigabyte P750GM // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD/2TB Seagate HDD // Display: LG 50" 4k TV // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers Donated.

Son's System: i5-9400 // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB (2x8) GeIL Potenza DDR 3200 //ASUS RX 570 4GB // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/1TB WD SN550 // Display: ACER Nitro VG240Y/ PBiip / Dell P2417H // Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

Daughter's System: i3-8350k // Cooler Master i71c // MSI H310M Pro VDH-Plus // 8GB (2x4) Leven DDR4 2666 (2400) // Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Mini // DarkFlash Micro ATX White // Corsair CX550 // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD/2TB Seagate HDD // Display: ASUS VG245H // Redragon TKL Mechanic Keyboard + Mouser

Retired: Ryzen 5 1600 // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M

2 hours ago, minibois said:

The PSU's fan can point either direction.

The fan sucks in air and exhausts it out the back.

Typically it's recommended to have the PSU's fan pointed down, so it does not intake the hot air from the GPU/CPU in the system.

I say it is typically recommended, because if your PC sits on (plush) carpet that can suffocate the fan.

Couldn't having the fan up mean it is exhausting some of that warm air from the gpu? I mean, especially since custom AIB coolers really need lots of airflow so they aren't just chopping their own air. Would it do anything? Just a thought.

For reference, one can also get a perforated stand to lift a computer case off the floor, if there's carpeting.  Something like these monitor stands:

https://www.amazon.com/ATUMTEK-Ergonomic-Platform-Computer-Projector/dp/B08PP28R72

https://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Stand-Riser-Adjustable-Ergonomic/dp/B07H4DMLVH/

(Have to check dimensions, of course, and if it's a super heavy full tower need to find larger and sturdier shelves).  

I'm using one similar to those in a silver color for my Fractal Design Define 7 Compact to give my PSU cleaner air, although I don't have carpeting underneath.  I've added some sorbothane strips underneath the shelf to dampen any vibrations, as this particular 2-shelf design seems to amplify echoes otherwise.

40 minutes ago, Quartz11 said:

For reference, one can also get a perforated stand to lift a computer case off the floor, if there's carpeting.  Something like these monitor stands:

https://www.amazon.com/ATUMTEK-Ergonomic-Platform-Computer-Projector/dp/B08PP28R72

(Have to check dimensions, of course, and if it's a super heavy full tower need to find larger and sturdier shelves).  

I'm using one similar to those in a silver color for my Fractal Design Define 7 Compact to give my PSU cleaner air, although I don't have carpeting underneath.  I've added some sorbothane strips underneath the shelf to dampen any vibrations, as this particular 2-shelf design seems to amplify echoes otherwise.

Thanks for the idea. But my pc is on a desk so it's okay

1 hour ago, Quartz11 said:

I use something similar to this to raise my PC off the floor:

https://www.amazon.com/LORYERGO-Monitor-Riser-Stand-Adjustable/dp/B087QDGQXB

Works great. 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i9-10900KF 5.1-5.3ghz @ 1.365v // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite AX // 32GB (4x8) Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 4000/CL18 // ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC // Corsair 275R Airflow // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultrafear 27GL83A-B/Lenovo L24Q-30/Lenovo L24Q-30 // Razer Black Widow TE Chroma // Razer Viper Ultimate // Corsair H70 Gaming Headset

Wife's System: i7-8700 // Arctic Freezer 33 // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon 5700 XT RAW II // NZXT S340 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: AOC AGON AG241QX/ASUS VG248QEASUS VP248Q // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602 // LG BDRW // NexStar 5.25" USB 3 Enclosure

TV Gamer: i7-8700k 5.0ghz All-core delidded @1.375v // Deepcool Gamerstorm Assassin III // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 // Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 // Corsair 275R Airflow // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

TV Gamer 2: Intel i3-10100 // ASRock H410M-HDV/M.2 // 16GB (2x8) DDR4 T-Force Vulcan 2666 // XFX RX 580 8GB XXX Edition // Rosewill FBM-X2 // Gigabyte P750GM // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD/2TB Seagate HDD // Display: LG 50" 4k TV // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers Donated.

Son's System: i5-9400 // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB (2x8) GeIL Potenza DDR 3200 //ASUS RX 570 4GB // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/1TB WD SN550 // Display: ACER Nitro VG240Y/ PBiip / Dell P2417H // Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

Daughter's System: i3-8350k // Cooler Master i71c // MSI H310M Pro VDH-Plus // 8GB (2x4) Leven DDR4 2666 (2400) // Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Mini // DarkFlash Micro ATX White // Corsair CX550 // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD/2TB Seagate HDD // Display: ASUS VG245H // Redragon TKL Mechanic Keyboard + Mouser

Retired: Ryzen 5 1600 // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M

1 hour ago, JohnDeereBro said:

Couldn't having the fan up mean it is exhausting some of that warm air from the gpu? I mean, especially since custom AIB coolers really need lots of airflow so they aren't just chopping their own air. Would it do anything? Just a thought.

The thought process that goes on in my head is "well by the time you need that extra airflow for your GPU from the PSU, you already have some airflow problems to deal with".

The idea just being, no need to warm up your PSU for the sake of an overheating GPU.

But yes, a fan up scenario could help the GPU with its temps.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

Does it matter if the fan always on or it's fanless on low loads? I believe I've read that it should be facing up if it's a semi-fanless(hybrid) design.

Depends on manufacturer's specifications for that particular model.  Some PSUs are designed to have a semi-passive cooling mode, and some have fan that's always on with varying RPM.  Personally I like the always-on fan design, with quiet fans and low RPM at low loads.  This way all the parts inside a PSU are getting some cooling at all times.  If you don't have good dust filters on your case, always-on fan will mean more dust in the PSU over time (of course it also means you should be diligent about cleaning the dust filters periodically too, not set-and-forget).  Plus and minus for everything. 

On 4/15/2021 at 11:31 AM, minibois said:

The thought process that goes on in my head is "well by the time you need that extra airflow for your GPU from the PSU, you already have some airflow problems to deal with".

The idea just being, no need to warm up your PSU for the sake of an overheating GPU.

But yes, a fan up scenario could help the GPU with its temps.

Ok, good to know. I wondered if it could actually work or if I was just going crazy again. Thanks.  : )

The PSU is going to take hot air from the case and exhaust it out of the case.  If your PSU is oriented with the fan up and is not hidden by one of those shelves/shouds many new cases have, then your PSU is going to be taking warm-to-hot air to cool itself--can that be sufficient for PSU cooling if the air inside is hot?  If you have it with fan down, it's going to take room temperature air to cool itself only.