Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Google launches trial for new tracking feature FLoC, automatically opts in Chrome users

I really dont like how much power google has

On 4/16/2021 at 1:26 AM, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

i've ditched Chrome like a month ago now, I'm now using Firefox on Windows and Safari on Mac exclusively. it's been nice. 

I have ditched Chrome since yesterday and I'm not missing it at all (on my phone too). Firefox is great.

Used -700% storage

I feel like there is going to be some changes to the GDPR laws to include this form of tracking, assuming the current law doesn't cover FLoC in some way or another.

But yeah, I've been using Firefox for a bit over 2 years now and I haven't found yet any reason to switch back. I suspect that if this does end up getting implemented and it doesn't infringe any data protection laws Chrome will notice a significant loss of users following the update, probably not enough to 'dethrone' Chrome from being the most popular browser but definitely a noticeable difference.

4 hours ago, Murasaki said:

I have ditched Chrome since yesterday and I'm not missing it at all (on my phone too). Firefox is great.

If you want even better experience I'm gonna shill a tool of mine:

https://rejzor.wordpress.com/firefox-tweaker/

So you can customize Firefox even further. Mozilla does a lot of things really badly (and some really well), but when you tweak it your own way, it's still one of the best browsers out there. Especially since it's almost the only one left with its own rendering engine.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES

4 hours ago, Murasaki said:

yeah firefox is awesome. I prefer Safari over it but eeeh on Windows/Android you don't have that choice... 

Phone: iPhone SE 2020 | 64GB | iOS

PC: Supermicro X8DT3 | 2x Xeon X5650 | R9 290X | 32GB RAM | 1.25TB Total SSD | Bitfenix Whisper 850W | Windows 10 Pro

41 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

If you want even better experience I'm gonna shill a tool of mine:

https://rejzor.wordpress.com/firefox-tweaker/

So you can customize Firefox even further. Mozilla does a lot of things really badly (and some really well), but when you tweak it your own way, it's still one of the best browsers out there. Especially since it's almost the only one left with its own rendering engine.

That's pretty neat! Changed around 15 settings with it. Thank you for including documentation on what all of the settings actually mean/do LOL!

Used -700% storage

Long time Google user, not sure what to think of this, as mentioned before surely we are tracked albeit on Firefox or Brave or any browser, sure not to the same technical detail filled degree but still likely adequately enough to build a profile.  

Out of all the other browsers out there the only one I'm tempted to try is Brave, had too many weird bugs with Firefox although that was a very long while ago.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

On 4/15/2021 at 5:01 PM, Drama Lama said:

It really doesn't change anything in my opinion.

It does change quite a few things. First of all this is harder to work around because it's baked into your browser; it knows exactly which websites you visit and when whereas a website would need to rely on third party cookies, canvas footprint and other things that can be blocked or deleted (and in general aren't as accurate). This can also tie your activity to your profile even if you're elsewhere using a different device, which isn't the case otherwise (aside from websites you sign in to of course).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

On 4/15/2021 at 11:58 AM, RejZoR said:

I don't get it how can people become so dependent on Google. It's just so unnecessary.

Gmail

I got Gmail back in 2013 because I needed a free email service and couldn't afford an email service. Today I have a free Outlook account (and can self host an email account), but it's hard to move because of all the services linked to Google (signed up with Google's email) and that time when I pressed Sign up with Google because I needed to join in 5 seconds.

Google Drive

Back in August, I zipped all of my pictures, documents. and photos and uploaded them to Google. Why? I was moving from my laptop to my computer and didn't own thumb drives or NAS. Plus, Dropbox Free isn't quite enough storage.

Google Voice

I have Google Voice because I need another phone number to give out for business reasons, and didn't want to pay for another phone line.

Google Chrome

I don't use Chrome directly, but when I moved to Microsoft Edge Dev (Firefox's interface is not very recent, plus i wanted the dev tools) I was, and am, entitled to Chromium, run by Google. Also, work requires Chrome.

Android TV

I bought a projector with Android and can't be bothered to buy one of Roku's offerings. Besides, I'll be using Android TV's interface anyway to get onto Roku.

Google Docs/Sheets/Slides

I didn't own Microsoft Office until last December, so how else was I supposed to compose documents, organize spreadsheets, and present myself presentations for no reason?

Youtube

What the fuck else am I supposed to watch LTT on?

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

Spoiler

laptop: macbook air 13.3”

Spoiler

RAM: 4GB 1333MHz

CPU: Intel Core i5 2557M

SSD: 128GB

desktop: operation badger

Spoiler

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

Temps: CPU idle 45C, load 78C, top 85C. GPU idle 50C, load ~77C.

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

3 hours ago, wall03 said:

Youtube

What the fuck else am I supposed to watch LTT on?

Floatplane 

Luke Lafreniere Girlfriend (Page 1) - Line.17QQ.com

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Just now, Tieox said:

Floatplane 

Luke Lafreniere Girlfriend (Page 1) - Line.17QQ.com

but the point is that that costs money that I can't afford.

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-wall03

Just now, wall03 said:

but the point is that that costs money that I can't afford.

Zero judgement here, I love how tied up all Google is, and how easy it makes moving between devices.  I presume this is the exact same issue Apple users have when they consider jumping ship to Android/Google/PC.

1 minute ago, Tieox said:

Zero judgement here

thanks. I hope it's the right reason-

I love how tied up all Google is

I don't really care about the part that their all tied up, just that I need services that they offer.

how easy it makes moving between devices.

I don't own any Google devices...

but yeah. It's hard to move. I disagree on why. I see why you might be tied to something, but I never really use mobile platforms, and don't own anything that would really be of value I need Google for.

Services and reasons why I can't leave them | simplified

Reason 1: I'm stuck with it

• Chrome (during work)
  • Android TV (projector)

Reason 2: No free (viable) alternative:

• Google Voice
  • Google Docs

Reason 4: No free alternative

• YouTube
  • Gmail
  • Google Drive

Reason 3: Based on a Google service.

• Microsoft Edge

Is this a rant? If so, please ignore this post. And my life. Thanks!

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-wall03

On 4/16/2021 at 12:34 AM, FakeKGB said:

Couldn't they have picked a better name?
"FLoC" just sounds weird

They should FLoCin choose a better name

--------------------------------------

Edit: Now im wondering if theres a balance between having targeted advertising that companies love dearly and privacy that consumers love dearly.

yeet!