Is silence worth it?

Lairlair
Go to solution Solved by boggy77,
9 minutes ago, Lairlair said:

Is it worth it investing in a titanium silent PSU?

absolutely not.

And a Noctua top tier cooler?

absolutely yes

What about my 3 year old SSD? Is that okay or would it make a big difference to go with NVMe? I thought of waiting a year or two and then upgrading / adding it as a boot drive or project and cache files storage.

should still be fine, but might speed up some operations, like loading files

10 minutes ago, Lairlair said:

I'm also pondering whether I should go for 64GB of RAM, given that After Effect is a RAM monster. But it's a big leap in price and again, I thought of just adding 2 sticks later on if I have a project working with 8K footage of whatever.

2x16 should be fine for now, you can always upgrade later by adding another 2x16 if you see ram utilisation pinned at 100% all the time.

Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€144.44 @ Amazon Deutschland)

get the b550 version of this motherboard, it's newer, has better vrms, and has bios flashback in case it doesn't come with the correct bios.

Budget (including currency): 1500€ tops

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I do video, animation, game development. I mostly use After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere, Blender and Unity these days. I'd like a jack of all trades kinda rig. If I can game on it, great but I play more indie games that don't require so much horsepower.

Other details I already have a 500GB Sata III SSD and managed to find a GTX 1660 Super close to MSRP recently (hallelujah) that I thought of migrating to a new build.
I'm coming from a 2013 rig and it's holding up very well all things considered. Core i7-3820 4 cores 3.60Ghz, 32GB DDR3 RAM. It even has a blu ray player, imagine that!

So I thought of something like that:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  (€697.99 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (€89.39 @ Alza)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€164.89 @ Alternate)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€63.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 600 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply  (€215.71 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1376.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-15 12:01 CEST+0200

I'm positive this would bring a good kick to performance and that's already good enough for me. I'm more curious what you guys think of these questions:

Is it worth it investing in a titanium silent PSU? And a Noctua top tier cooler? I thought this could even accompany me to my next rig given the high quality and long warranty... I sometimes record some sound so I thought it could be a nice bonus.

What about my 3 year old SSD? Is that okay or would it make a big difference to go with NVMe? I thought of waiting a year or two and then upgrading / adding it as a boot drive or project and cache files storage.

I'm also pondering whether I should go for 64GB of RAM, given that After Effect is a RAM monster. But it's a big leap in price and again, I thought of just adding 2 sticks later on if I have a project working with 8K footage of whatever.

Any recommendation regarding performance is welcome. Though I don't know that I'm super interested in squeezing every last drop of computing power into a given budget.

Side note: Yeah a 1660 super with a Ryzen 9 5900x feels like a bottleneck but you know how the market is... Plus I don't mind gaming at 1080p and don't render 3D images so often that it warrants buying an overpriced GPU in the near future.

I just built a PC and fitted it out with a Noctua DH-15s plus some Noctua fans and a corsair RM850. It's lovely and quiet for the most part. Trouble is after going to all that trouble for quietness, the coil whine from my Radeon 6700XT is more noticeable 😕

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

Is it worth it investing in a titanium silent PSU?

absolutely not.

And a Noctua top tier cooler?

absolutely yes

should still be fine, but might speed up some operations, like loading files

2x16 should be fine for now, you can always upgrade later by adding another 2x16 if you see ram utilisation pinned at 100% all the time.

get the b550 version of this motherboard, it's newer, has better vrms, and has bios flashback in case it doesn't come with the correct bios.

Wow you guys are fast! Thank you for the advice! Is the BitFenix PSU whisper quiet, like the name suggests?

Off topic but:

Spoiler

I can't help but wonder why they include HDMI DP outputs on recent AMD motherboards... Seems like a waste of materials and PCB traces.

2 minutes ago, Lairlair said:

Wow you guys are fast! Thank you for the advice!

Off topic but:

Hide contents

I can't help but wonder why they include HDMI DP outputs on recent AMD motherboards... Seems like a waste of materials and PCB traces.

The manufacturers have to guess what features a user is going to want a long time before they actually have the model ready to ship. They assumed enough people would want to run APUs. Enough people must want the feature for them to keep doing it I assume. Also given how hard it is to get a GPU maybe its not such a bad idea, although APUs are hard to get hold of too 😛

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

5 minutes ago, Lairlair said:

Wow you guys are fast! Thank you for the advice!

Off topic but:

Hide contents

Ryzen CPU with the G suffix have an igpu. There are also Ryzen APU.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

How interesting! I thought AMD had done away with any kind of onboard graphics in their recent higher end consumer lineups. Alright then it makes sense :)