Planning Ryzen, to replace my gaming rig. (i7-920. Yup. Ancient.)

Kissker

Budget (including currency): Approx. $1200 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Multiple games, some "AAA" titles, varying from high CPU use to high GPU use (Minecraft, to Cyberpunk 2077, etc) and a desire to play and stream, or play and record, at the same time. 3D rendering/modeling (such as Meshmixer, Blender, and 3D printing slicer programs, in addition to programs like Photoshop and some mild movie-making)

Other details (existing parts lists) I have a very-very old PC I game with. I still rock a i7-920, a whopping 12gb DDR3 (triple channel) memory, etc.  So most of it won't be used.  Plan to keep using the GTX 1070 until GPUs are more.. normalized.

I have never gamed on anything higher than 1080p 60, I typically use 2 monitors (2, standard 21inch HP 21kd's right now) but have plans to add a third, larger, monitor (27") to game on.

The TL:DR planned system,

-ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)  (Desire to try Wifi 6 sparked interest in this board over the non-wifi version)

-AMD Ryzen 5 3600

-32 GB DDR4 @ 3600 speeds (several to choose from, G.Skill Ripjaws V is in mind)

-Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB 

-Crucial MX500 1TB (this has DRAM right?) (plus all my older HDDs, until replacable)

I have cases I can use (even keeping in mind a larger GPU in the future) such as the Cooler Master HAF 932, as well as PSUs (The i7 920 I use has a 750W I believe) and I am less worried about things like mouse/keyboard over more impactful hardware.  My major concern is the lag/latency I suffer from now when I try to Play and record or play and stream at the same time.

Other than that, my goal is a consistent and smooth gameplay of my games, and faster rendering of things like polygons in meshmixer. I don't have proof but some of my games seem to stall or lag greatly dealing with multiple monitors, so if it might be a better idea to use a secondary (the older PC) as a "all the other stuff" PC while the gaming PC- simply plays games. (I would need to set up some way to record/stream gameplay though)

while it may not be flashy or "RGB'd to death" - is the planned system a decent starting ground? Should I use something like the Ryzen 5 5600X instead (or some other CPU) ?  Am I going to have to get a newer GPU (when they are affordable) to reach this goal? (if I had to choose between 2k and 144hz, I'd probably choose 144hz, but I have not seen in person anything above 1080P, and never played on a higher refresh rate so my opinions are still fluid on this choice- but - 4k is absolutely not an option.  Nothing leads me to believe I would enjoy that "experience")

I wouldn't buy new hardware in this market. I'd get a used 6c12t Xeon for $50 on eBay, OC the shit out of it, and then wait until prices return to normal to do a complete overhaul. Could also consider some more RAM.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I wouldn't buy new hardware in this market. I'd get a used 6c12t Xeon for $50 on eBay, OC the shit out of it, and then wait until prices return to normal to do a complete overhaul. Could also consider some more RAM.

While I appreciate the savings idea, and the re-use of older parts...   I really want something "new" in my life, as most of my things are used, hand-me-downs and the like, and I have been using my PC for some what.. 12 years now I think.. so.. with my savings I really want to get into the Ryzen market and enjoy some new things for a while. (and I know just about any CPU is an upgrade to my i7-920, especially if you can OC it well)

Also.. planning 32GB RAM, you think it would need more?

15 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

For everything but you it's a fine time to upgrade. 5600x and 5800x are MSRP (or within 30$) and instock at almost all times, and new hardware right now is amazing.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

For everything but you it's a fine time to upgrade. 5600x and 5800x are MSRP (or within 30$) and instock at almost all times, and new hardware right now is amazing.

So you think the 5600x would be worth it over the 3600 for my needs/desires?

8 minutes ago, Kissker said:

So you think the 5600x would be worth it over the 3600 for my needs/desires?

Yeah. You could probably fit a 3070 and a 5600x together, it would be a great upgrade. (Once a 3070 isn't phasing in and out of existence)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Yeah. You could probably fit a 3070 and a 5600x together, it would be a great upgrade. (Once a 3070 isn't phasing in and out of existence)

once the RTX 3070 isn't fasing in and out of existence, the rtx 4070 will be out

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

14 hours ago, Kissker said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Multiple games, some "AAA" titles, varying from high CPU use to high GPU use (Minecraft, to Cyberpunk 2077, etc) and a desire to play and stream, or play and record, at the same time. 3D rendering/modeling (such as Meshmixer, Blender, and 3D printing slicer programs, in addition to programs like Photoshop and some mild movie-making)

Other details (existing parts lists) I have a very-very old PC I game with. I still rock a i7-920, a whopping 12gb DDR3 (triple channel) memory, etc.  So most of it won't be used.  Plan to keep using the GTX 1070 until GPUs are more.. normalized.

I have never gamed on anything higher than 1080p 60, I typically use 2 monitors (2, standard 21inch HP 21kd's right now) but have plans to add a third, larger, monitor (27") to game on.

-ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)  (Desire to try Wifi 6 sparked interest in this board over the non-wifi version)

-AMD Ryzen 5 3600

-32 GB DDR4 @ 3600 speeds (several to choose from, G.Skill Ripjaws V is in mind)

-Crucial MX500 1TB (this has DRAM right?) (plus all my older HDDs, until replacable)

I have cases I can use (even keeping in mind a larger GPU in the future) such as the Cooler Master HAF 932, as well as PSUs (The i7 920 I use has a 750W I believe) and I am less worried about things like mouse/keyboard over more impactful hardware.  My major concern is the lag/latency I suffer from now when I try to Play and record or play and stream at the same time.

Other than that, my goal is a consistent and smooth gameplay of my games, and faster rendering of things like polygons in meshmixer. I don't have proof but some of my games seem to stall or lag greatly dealing with multiple monitors, so if it might be a better idea to use a secondary (the older PC) as a "all the other stuff" PC while the gaming PC- simply plays games. (I would need to set up some way to record/stream gameplay though)

while it may not be flashy or "RGB'd to death" - is the planned system a decent starting ground? Should I use something like the Ryzen 5 5600X instead (or some other CPU) ?  Am I going to have to get a newer GPU (when they are affordable) to reach this goal? (if I had to choose between 2k and 144hz, I'd probably choose 144hz, but I have not seen in person anything above 1080P, and never played on a higher refresh rate so my opinions are still fluid on this choice- but - 4k is absolutely not an option.  Nothing leads me to believe I would enjoy that "experience")

I5 10400f/11400f, B560 Pro4, 3060Ti, and a 1440p 144hz monitor would be good for you, methinks. Muslin Pilot-E for the SSD (any size) 

As for WiFi, I would just get a PCIe WiFi card rather than a board with WiFi built in.

If you plan to overclock your RAM, either get a G.Skill kit with good timings (most have Samsung B-Die if they do have good timings) or a Crucial Ballistix set. 3600mhz works with the B560 chipset and 10400f but will be more beneficial on an 11400f (although I, like many others, am not the biggest fan of 11th gen)

final note, 10400f > R5 3600, but if possible you can get a 5600x and B550 TUF or some decent MSI board with flashback. That will easily beat a 10400f/11400f system as well as work better with faster RAM. Whichever way you go, I recommend the Vetroo V5, Gammax 400, or SE-224-XT coolers.

On 4/15/2021 at 12:06 PM, TitanMaster57 said:

I5 10400f/11400f, B560 Pro4, 3060Ti, and a 1440p 144hz monitor would be good for you, methinks. Muslin Pilot-E for the SSD (any size) 

As for WiFi, I would just get a PCIe WiFi card rather than a board with WiFi built in.

If you plan to overclock your RAM, either get a G.Skill kit with good timings (most have Samsung B-Die if they do have good timings) or a Crucial Ballistix set. 3600mhz works with the B560 chipset and 10400f but will be more beneficial on an 11400f (although I, like many others, am not the biggest fan of 11th gen)

final note, 10400f > R5 3600, but if possible you can get a 5600x and B550 TUF or some decent MSI board with flashback. That will easily beat a 10400f/11400f system as well as work better with faster RAM. Whichever way you go, I recommend the Vetroo V5, Gammax 400, or SE-224-XT coolers.

Appreciate the details but... I want to go Ryzen.  I stated that in the title and such. So the i5 info isn't really needed here. 

On 4/17/2021 at 5:45 PM, Kissker said:

Appreciate the details but... I want to go Ryzen.  I stated that in the title and such. So the i5 info isn't really needed here. 

Why do you want to go Ryzen? No reason to go Ryzen over Intel in this situation whatsoever.

On 4/19/2021 at 8:48 AM, TitanMaster57 said:

Why do you want to go Ryzen? No reason to go Ryzen over Intel in this situation whatsoever.

Sorry for delay, had a rough work week.

Ryzen over Intel is for the upgrade path.  While the Ryzen 9's are currently out of my price range, having the right socket Mobo means I "could" swap to them in the future, without much else changing.    It is also for the multitasking - Ryzens (in others experiences and data showing) seem to handle doing things like "play a game and stream it too" without as many dropped frames, lag spikes, etc effecting either the gameplay or the stream quality.  While this may be simply down to core/thread count, and a Intel equal might rival it - it would not permit an "upgrade path" to future Ryzens.   (and I've had my PC for some 13 or so years now, I lost count, so I don't plan to just "redo it later")

The last reason is a bit more personal or petty... I just don't want Intel gettin my money right now.   I know it's kinda dumb, and overall I might "not get as much FPS in games" or what not, but honestly I don't want to support Intel's choices (especially recently) even though "my vote" (my money) won't even be a drop in an ocean to them.

On 4/14/2021 at 7:47 PM, Kissker said:

-AMD Ryzen 5 3600

2k is 1080p but the cinematic res, so slightly wider if that is what you meant. Also, not all routers are WiFi 6 capable, so that is something to look out for.

On 4/25/2021 at 8:26 PM, Kissker said:

Sorry for delay, had a rough work week.

Ryzen over Intel is for the upgrade path.  While the Ryzen 9's are currently out of my price range, having the right socket Mobo means I "could" swap to them in the future, without much else changing.    It is also for the multitasking - Ryzens (in others experiences and data showing) seem to handle doing things like "play a game and stream it too" without as many dropped frames, lag spikes, etc effecting either the gameplay or the stream quality.  While this may be simply down to core/thread count, and a Intel equal might rival it - it would not permit an "upgrade path" to future Ryzens.   (and I've had my PC for some 13 or so years now, I lost count, so I don't plan to just "redo it later")

The last reason is a bit more personal or petty... I just don't want Intel gettin my money right now.   I know it's kinda dumb, and overall I might "not get as much FPS in games" or what not, but honestly I don't want to support Intel's choices (especially recently) even though "my vote" (my money) won't even be a drop in an ocean to them.

Ditto on the late reply, haven’t been on le interwebs much recently

AM4 is on it’s last leg with Ryzen 5000, and Intel only has 2 or 3 generations of CPUs per socket. This means that next generation, if you want to upgrade, you are going to have to swap literally everything out anyways (new motherboard, CPU, RAM, potentially power supply, etcetera)

I stand by what I said about not going Intel over Ryzen.