New Workstation for Professional & Personal Use

E11iot

Budget (including currency): £2,000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: SolidWorks inc. Visualize & Simulation, would like to maybe do some gaming on it (racing/driving mainly)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

Already have Nvidia Quadro RTX4000, Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA, monitors & peripherals.

Hello All,

Long time reader first time poster here!

It's about time I upgraded my personal rig which I use mainly for professional CAD work. I currently use a Dell Precision 5810, Intel C612 chipset, E5-16xx, 32GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM, and the parts listed as already having above.

Now I'm a bit of a Dell fanboy, so I was thinking of just buying a Dell Precision 5820, using the GPU and SSD that I already have and using an M.2/NVMe for the main drive. That being said, I'm thinking I can maybe get more for my money building from scratch and thought this the best place to seek wholesome advice. Here is what I've narrowed it down to / criteria:

• Motherboard (In order of preference most to least): Asus C422, Asus X299, Asus Z590/490 (or equivalent AMD compatible boards)
  • CPU (In order of preference most to least): Xeon W, Core i9, Core i7 (or AMD equivalent)
  • RAM: 32GB min.
  • GPU (Already have): Nvidia Quadro RTX4000
  • Storage: I got by for a long time with only a 500GB SSD, recently upgraded to 1TB and still have only used just shy of 300GB. An M.2/NVMe for a primary drive would be a good update as well as retaining the MX500.
  • Case: Matte, black, strictly no RGB if there has to be any lights white would be preferential although blue/green would also be OK-ish if lights absolutely can't be avoided, would rather metal side panel than glass or Perspex, a metal case would be nice (I like the cold touch) although not essential, size/space not an issue.
  • Cooling: Not against water cooling but don't know enough about it to spec myself. Not really worried about noise but if close to silent can be achieved with fans that would be fine.
  • Other: Not essential but PS/2 ports would be nice for my Cherry G80-11800, 1-gig or greater Ethernet port is a must, a sound card would maybe be nice although I don't know how essential it is because I only use a sound bar at present.

Hopefully haven't missed anything and if I have please let me know.

Thanks in advance guys and girls!

E11iot

Edited by E11iot

Just now, boggy77 said:

Too be honest, because I don't really know enough about Ryzen, only what I see in LTT videos. In my head the Ryzen 5/7/9 are like the Core i5/i7/i9, and with my preference being Xeon I didn't who what the equivalent AMD offering was.

I'll say this, I'm certainly not against it and am more than happy to open the door to AMD, will update the post.

Thanks boggy77 

5 minutes ago, E11iot said:

Too be honest, because I don't really know enough about Ryzen, only what I see in LTT videos. In my head the Ryzen 5/7/9 are like the Core i5/i7/i9, and with my preference being Xeon I didn't who what the equivalent AMD offering was.

I'll say this, I'm certainly not against it and am more than happy to open the door to AMD, will update the post.

Thanks boggy77 

The equivalent Ryzen part to the XeonW CPU's are the Threadripper series. The most recent Threadripper 3000 series goes all the way from 24c/48t to 64c/128t CPUs.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

22 minutes ago, E11iot said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: SolidWorks inc. Visualize & Simulation, would like to maybe do some gaming on it (racing/driving mainly)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

Already have Nvidia Quadro RTX4000, Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA, monitors & peripherals.

Hello All,

Long time reader first time poster here!

It's about time I upgraded my personal rig which I use mainly for professional CAD work. I currently use a Dell Precision 5810, Intel C612 chipset, E5-16xx, 32GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM, and the parts listed as already having above.

Now I'm a bit of a Dell fanboy, so I was thinking of just buying a Dell Precision 5820, using the GPU and SSD that I already have and using an M.2/NVMe for the main drive. That being said, I'm thinking I can maybe get more for my money building from scratch and thought this the best place to seek wholesome advice. Here is what I've narrowed it down to / criteria:

• Motherboard (In order of preference most to least): Asus C422, Asus X299, Asus Z590/490
  • CPU (In order of preference most to least): Xeon W, Core i9, Core i7
  • RAM: 32GB min.
  • GPU (Already have): Nvidia Quadro RTX4000
  • Storage: I got by for a long time with only a 500GB SSD, recently upgraded to 1TB and still have only used just shy of 300GB. An M.2/NVMe for a primary drive would be a good update as well as retaining the MX500.
  • Case: Matte, black, strictly no RGB if there has to be any lights white would be preferential although blue/green would also be OK-ish if lights absolutely can't be avoided, would rather metal side panel than glass or Perspex, a metal case would be nice (I like the cold touch) although not essential, size/space not an issue.
  • Cooling: Not against water cooling but don't know enough about it to spec myself. Not really worried about noise but if close to silent can be achieved with fans that would be fine.
  • Other: Not essential but PS/2 ports would be nice for my Cherry G80-11800, 1-gig or greater Ethernet port is a must, a sound card would maybe be nice although I don't know how essential it is because I only use a sound bar at present.

E11iot

it is threadripper but it is still a great cpu 

KanyeWestLover911
Reminder

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

I Use Arch BTW

my PCs 

these are my Pcs 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mtj08/saved/

KanyeWestLover911
Reminder

I Use Arch BTW

my PCs 

these are my Pcs 

15 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Wow, that was fast!

I have to say, I really like that case! Seemingly can get quite a lot for my budget. Thanks for doing it in GBP. Plus points for PS/2 🤙

14 minutes ago, POG Gamer said:

it's 2030.84 euros 

15 minutes ago, POG Gamer said:

That case looks amazing, very mean. Also I notice this higher end board seems to not have PS/2, notice the same with C422, is this going to be hard to find on the higher end side of things now?

Question on liquid CPU coolers for you and @boggy77 - what else is required for liquid, just a pump, radiator and some tubes? Is a pump quieter than a silent fan?

Thanks again.

45 minutes ago, E11iot said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: SolidWorks inc.

E11iot

It cannot be overstated how much AMD is ahead in terms of productivity workloads. You will find much more performance with either a Ryzen 9 3950x or 59XX or a Threadripper 3960x than most of what Intel has to provide.

For your case, I suggest you get a Fractal Design Meshify series OR a Define R6/7. They are very clean and pretty much RGB-free (though in most cases you can turn them off)

Here's a build that uses a Threadripper 3960x:

And here's one that uses a Ryzen 9 3950x (not the 5950x because good luck finding stock, although it would work in this motherboard also)

While The top one is £300 above your budget, I would definitely recommend it over the 3950x build for a workstation.

ALSO: An AIO is a bad choice for anything related to 5950x or 3950x, esp since the cooler I linked (NH-D15 Chromax) is in stock and very much equivalent with

>No leaks
>No pump failures
>Very quiet
>Same-ish performances.

Also, good luck finding PS/2 connectors on these boards.. just get a usb adapter.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, E11iot said:

That case looks amazing, very mean. Also I notice this higher end board seems to not have PS/2, notice the same with C422, is this going to be hard to find on the higher end side of things now?

Question on liquid CPU coolers for you and @boggy77 - what else is required for liquid, just a pump, radiator and some tubes? Is a pump quieter than a silent fan?

Thanks again.

you need pump,radiator(s),cpu block,and tubes  or you could get an AIO whitch is a prebuilt and closed loop but its just for the cpu 

this is the AIO i use https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PVfFf7/nzxt-kraken-x53-7311-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-rl-krx53-01

KanyeWestLover911
Reminder

I Use Arch BTW

my PCs 

these are my Pcs 

23 minutes ago, E11iot said:

well either go for an AIO like the one I suggested, which comes with everything, you just need to install it, or a big air cooler like the noctua nh-d15.

i would generally recommend air cooling, as it's quieter and more reliable in the long term, but in this case, the arctic freezer ii 280mm is a very good deal and a very good aio. you can go with either, whatever you prefer.

as for threadripper vs ryzen, solidworks likes many cores for some tasks (rendering) and fast cores for other tasks (most of the others apart from rendering tbh).

the 5950x and even the 5900x beats the threadripper in all tasks apart from rendering, where the threadripper wins just due to number of cores. 

if rendering is a very large part of what you do, then threadripper is the way, although significantly more expensive. If it's only a part of what you do, a 5900 or 5950 will serve you better.

3 hours ago, givingtnt said:

It cannot be overstated how much AMD is ahead in terms of productivity workloads. You will find much more performance with either a Ryzen 9 3950x or 59XX or a Threadripper 3960x than most of what Intel has to provide.

For your case, I suggest you get a Fractal Design Meshify series OR a Define R6/7. They are very clean and pretty much RGB-free (though in most cases you can turn them off)

Here's a build that uses a Threadripper 3960x:

And here's one that uses a Ryzen 9 3950x (not the 5950x because good luck finding stock, although it would work in this motherboard also)

While The top one is £300 above your budget, I would definitely recommend it over the 3950x build for a workstation.

ALSO: An AIO is a bad choice for anything related to 5950x or 3950x, esp since the cooler I linked (NH-D15 Chromax) is in stock and very much equivalent with

>No leaks
>No pump failures
>Very quiet
>Same-ish performances.

Also, good luck finding PS/2 connectors on these boards.. just get a usb adapter.

Ok this is awesome, thanks for the help!

Although the want for a threadripper is there I'm not sure the need is. So I work probably 95% just in 3D CAD (although often with huge assemblies), 4.5% rendering and maybe 0.5% simulation, like it's so seldom I probably shouldn't even have mentioned. Rendering is mostly GPU heavy on the Visualize side of things anyway so the RTX4000 already kills what I need to do.

Have spent the last few hours doing Ryzen research and definitely feeling more informed thanks to all these posts to point me in the right direction.

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, E11iot said:

Although the want for a threadripper is there I'm not sure the need is. So I work probably 95% just in 3D CAD (although often with huge assemblies), 4.5% rendering and maybe 0.5% simulation, like it's so seldom I probably shouldn't even have mentioned. Rendering is mostly GPU heavy on the Visualize side of things anyway so the RTX4000 already kills what I need to do.

Have spent the last few hours doing Ryzen research and definitely feeling more informed thanks to all these posts to point me in the right direction.

Thank you!

Oh, don't bother with TR then, you can double the ram on the Ryzen build for 64gb easily with how it's setup currently.
Or get the same (very fast mind you) SSD in 2tb form and probably still be under your budget.

You have to be careful of something with Ryzen builds: Ram speed.
Ryzen LOVES fast ram (hence why 3600 is imo a minimum here) and you have to go in the bios and manually set the speed, it will often default to something much lower on it's own. Make sure you go in there and have a check. If you don't know how, check the manual and if you still don't, make another post. It should be very easy on most boards.

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

3 hours ago, boggy77 said:

well either go for an AIO like the one I suggested, which comes with everything, you just need to install it, or a big air cooler like the noctua nh-d15.

i would generally recommend air cooling, as it's quieter and more reliable in the long term, but in this case, the arctic freezer ii 280mm is a very good deal and a very good aio. you can go with either, whatever you prefer.

as for threadripper vs ryzen, solidworks likes many cores for some tasks (rendering) and fast cores for other tasks (most of the others apart from rendering tbh).

the 5950x and even the 5900x beats the threadripper in all tasks apart from rendering, where the threadripper wins just due to number of cores. 

if rendering is a very large part of what you do, then threadripper is the way, although significantly more expensive. If it's only a part of what you do, a 5900 or 5950 will serve you better.

Thank you!

As above with @givingtnt, I'm thinking based on my work a 3900X may even do the job. Noctua NH-D15 chromax black also looking like a good fit!

Thanks guys. I'm learning today 🤙

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

Oh, don't bother with TR then, you can double the ram on the Ryzen build for 64gb easily with how it's setup currently.
Or get the same (very fast mind you) SSD in 2tb form and probably still be under your budget.

You have to be careful of something with Ryzen builds: Ram speed.
Ryzen LOVES fast ram (hence why 3600 is imo a minimum here) and you have to go in the bios and manually set the speed, it will often default to something much lower on it's own. Make sure you go in there and have a check.

Funny you say about the RAM - I was talking to my most computer savvy friend about an hour ago who advised near word for word the same thing about Ryzen in that it loves fast RAM.

As above with @givingtnt, I'm thinking based on my work a 3900X may even do the job. Noctua NH-D15 chromax black also looking like a good fit!

Thanks guys. I'm learning today 🤙

It very much would be. I've been building workstations for college friends for a few years now and tbh the wait & extra money on the 59XX (because stock..) are not worth it. The 3900 / 3950x are more than capable.

So again, thanks everyone for the help it's really helped me focus on what's important in this build, knew LTT Forum wouldn't let me down! So I've landed on the following, and still up for discussion:

Feel free to pick it apart and tell me where you think I could improve it. Gone with a Ryzen 9 3900X because I think it'll be more than enough for my workload, and Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black cooler (mainly because I think it looks freaking awesome).

Went Asus PRIME X570-PRO over Asus ROG STRIX X570-E despite being white for two reasons:

1) Not really fussed on WIFI anyway, I'm on Cat6 wired. Can bang a network card into the extra 1x slot on this board.

2) I cannot face looking at that ROG logo any longer - My work laptop at my day job is a ROX STRIX G at that logo is everywhere. It's also responsible for my hatred of RGB.

RAM is... RAM I guess? Should be plenty fast, right?

970 Evo Plus was rated highly on the SSD tier list linked above and I know the same from the LTT videos.

That fractal design guess has played in my mind so much that I've already ordered it (so should probably go back and mark that as purchased!), and I guess that PSU is a great deal right?

Wayyy under budget so maybe just max out with 128GB or is that overkill?

Anyway any more tips appreciated muchly 🤙 What a great start to being in the forum, this is super!

3 hours ago, E11iot said:

Wayyy under budget so maybe just max out with 128GB or is that overkill?

that is overkill.

motherboard is a bit overpriced as well, also the PSU.

as for ram, ideally you'd go for 3600Mhz.

if you want to fit 4 sticks of ram, might need to go with the nh-d15s, to make sure ram fits under the cooler.

also, for the price of that samsung drive, you can get a pcie gen 4 drive, with twice the speed