T-Mobile enables eSim on Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

linkboy

Summary

T-Mobile has become the first carrier in the US to enable eSim support on a Samsung phone. The phones have supported eSim, but it's been disabled.

Quotes

T-Mobile just rolled out a new OTA update today for the branded Note 20 Ultra featuring eSIM support and Dual SIM Dual Standby (DSDS) support. Android smartphones are now finally receiving two of the most requested features like eSIM and Dual SIM starting with Samsung smartphones. This holds true for the T-Mobile Note 20 Ultra. We can expect the same for the regular Note 20 and even the Galaxy S20 in the future.

According to the OTA update screen, eSIM and Dual SIM are the key highlights of the update. It’s not clear whether the update is based on the newer April 2021 security patch level or not. Apart from this, the changelog states security fixes, device stability improvements, new and enhanced features.

My thoughts

It's good to see a feature that's been supported by phones finally be enabled. It's especially good for people who want a Samsung phone, but need two phone numbers (like a personal and work number). Before this update, the only phones that supported it were the iPhones and Pixels.

Sources

T-Mobile brings eSim support to Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

Wonder how long before this comes to the UK as well, im fully expecting that I'll have to ditch my P30 Pro sadly. Hope this comes to the enterprise side as well, getting sims for our wireless emergency kits uses up time which could be saved when a site is hard down. If we just need to edit a config to get it to work that would be fantastic.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1