How do I create a shopping website?

I want to create a little shopping website for a school project. 

I need to have some products, where I can add them to the shopping cart. I know how to make the products, but I don't know how to make a button where I can add the product to the shopping cart. I also want a shopping cart where I can see the items, delete them. I also need some kind of create profile area, where I can create data, search for data, delete data, and update data. If I want to add my name to a list, then I would need to add it to a list and update the name, delete the name, and search for lastname for example and find the data. 

I tried finding guides, but everything I found was too complex and had too many things. I don't know if there is any guides to this, but if anyone knows, then I would really appreciate a link or something.

image.thumb.png.5237dd65de2365e71fc4b9638846e91c.png

3 minutes ago, Emil_Loenneberg SE said:

I tried finding guides, but everything I found was too complex and had too many things

The thing is that creating a shopping-site is complex. If you're not prepared to go through the effort of learning a complex task like that, then you might as well go and do something else.

For one, you need a server running a webserver and a database. You also need to learn one or another programming-language to use on the server-side in order to process all these requests, including searching through the database and all that. You most likely will also need to learn Javascript for the client-side.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

What are you already familiar with in terms of programming; what experience do you have?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

The thing is that creating a shopping-site is complex. If you're not prepared to go through the effort of learning a complex task like that, then you might as well go and do something else.

For one, you need a server running a webserver and a database. You also need to learn one or another programming-language to use on the server-side in order to process all these requests, including searching through the database and all that. You most likely will also need to learn Javascript for the client-side.

Okay so. I don't actually need to make it online and therefore all that SQL injection etc. doesn't matter since it's local. I know Php, Html, css and sql. But I kinda forget it, and therefore im searching a guide.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

What are you already familiar with in terms of programming; what experience do you have?

I know HTML, PHP, CSS and SQL. I just forgot it all because I didn't use it for a long time, so therefore I need a guide or something from w3schools, but I haven't really been able to find it.

Just now, Emil_Loenneberg SE said:

I don't actually need to make it online and therefore all that SQL injection etc. doesn't matter since it's local.

Doesn't change anything about what I said: you still need a webserver and a database and you need to program something on the server-side to handle the requests.

1 minute ago, Emil_Loenneberg SE said:

But I kinda forget it, and therefore im searching a guide

Start with one of those topics, instead of trying to find a guide that teaches all of them at once. If you can't remember how to e.g. use databases, go with that. Then proceed to find a guide on PHP-programming, then figure out how to access the database-server from your PHP-code.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

The thing is that creating a shopping-site is complex.

If he is building it from the ground up yes, if not then he can cruise through it with very superficial programming knowledge.

@Emil_Loenneberg SE Here are your search terms:
LAMP / XAMPP
WordPress
WooCommerce

Have fun 😄

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

10 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Doesn't change anything about what I said: you still need a webserver and a database and you need to program something on the server-side to handle the requests.

Start with one of those topics, instead of trying to find a guide that teaches all of them at once. If you can't remember how to e.g. use databases, go with that. Then proceed to find a guide on PHP-programming, then figure out how to access the database-server from your PHP-code.

So kind of make 1 page at a time? Ok Thanks!!

The "modern" way web development works is that you have a backend server and a separate frontend UI and they interact with each other via an API (Application Programming Interface).

This has a few advantages over the "old" way of doing things where the backend server dynamically generates the frontend page for the user every time it's requested - which is effectively what PHP is designed for. A few of these advantages are:

• You can change the frontend without ever having to touch the backend, as long as you continue to be compatible with the APIs
  • Similarly, the same system can easily have multiple different frontends  - for example, a website, iPhone app and Amazon Echo skill can all use the same API
  • It's often faster for the end user because you can effectively host the frontend statically on a CDN (Content Delivery Network; think loads of interconnected servers all around the world)

In reality the "old" way is probably fine for what you're doing, but in reality if you were building something like that from scratch for production deployment online it would work a bit differently.

Also, this post is intended as a simple summary and almost certainly has mistakes and oversimplifications.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

8 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

The "modern" way web development works is that you have a backend server and a separate frontend UI and they interact with each other via an API (Application Programming Interface).

This has a few advantages over the "old" way of doing things where the backend server dynamically generates the frontend page for the user every time it's requested - which is effectively what PHP is designed for. A few of these advantages are:

• You can change the frontend without ever having to touch the backend, as long as you continue to be compatible with the APIs
  • Similarly, the same system can easily have multiple different frontends  - for example, a website, iPhone app and Amazon Echo skill can all use the same API
  • It's often faster for the end user because you can effectively host the frontend statically on a CDN (Content Delivery Network; think loads of interconnected servers all around the world)

In reality the "old" way is probably fine for what you're doing, but in reality if you were building something like that from scratch for production deployment online it would work a bit differently.

Also, this post is intended as a simple summary and almost certainly has mistakes and oversimplifications.

yea idk my english aint that good.

just use word press 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 4/14/2021 at 4:56 PM, Emil_Loenneberg SE said:

So kind of make 1 page at a time? Ok Thanks!!

I think you need to wrap your head around how data flows around in web apps, how everything is organized and how everything communicates with each other.

The way you phrase your questions I have to assume that you wrote a bit of HTML and CSS and made a few simpler PHP files that "do something" in the browser. That is absolutely not enough to make a shop system in any way. Even a crude mockup of a shop system takes more knowledge of how to structure your application.

At the very very least, you'd need to know how to make forms and send data back to your webserver. That way you could make something that kind of behaves like a very basic shop. However that is not how it's done today and it would in no way be actually useful. It's more of an excersise for you.

Making an actual shop system from scratch that is functional and secure is a job for experienced developers/engineers and it will take months and you'd be using several frameworks and technologies that each take weeks to get familiar with even as an experienced developer. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

2 hours ago, bowrilla said:

At the very very least, you'd need to know how to make forms and send data back to your webserver. That way you could make something that kind of behaves like a very basic shop. However that is not how it's done today and it would in no way be actually useful. It's more of an excersise for you.

Making an actual shop system from scratch that is functional and secure is a job for experienced developers/engineers and it will take months and you'd be using several frameworks and technologies that each take weeks to get familiar with even as an experienced developer. 

Or just use wordpress and any such website builder/content management system, you know, and click and drag stuffs. 

Why do people make it hard for themselves?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 hours ago, wasab said:

Or just use wordpress and any such website builder/content management system, you know, and click and drag stuffs. 

For fun? Sometimes it is not about doing something as eeasy as possible, you can learn a lot by writing stuff from scratch.

1 hour ago, Liewyec said:

For fun? Sometimes it is not about doing something as eeasy as possible, you can learn a lot by writing stuff from scratch.

yeah.... but no. It is awfully time consuming and resource costly to develop a functional system from scratch, with a front end and back end. Many developers nowadays specialize in a premade technology that provides all the backbone functionalities which are already usuable out of the box. All they need to do is customize it and perhaps create the missing modules that fit the bussiness needs. E.g. ServiceNow, Salesforce, and of course, wordpress. If you are developing these tools, then yeah, you will be working on a project that involves everything but just developing end user applications on it? You simply use their technologies. 

I am pretty sure that the website and software for Linus tech tip forum comes from a third party vendor in a similar fashion, then a developer installs and customize it.  No one at LTT is coding this whole thing from scratch.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

9 hours ago, wasab said:

I need to use php, that's what my teacher says

7 hours ago, wasab said:

yeah.... but no. It is awfully time consuming and resource costly to develop a functional system from scratch, with a front end and back end. Many developers nowadays specialize in a premade technology that provides all the backbone functionalities which are already usuable out of the box. All they need to do is customize it and perhaps create the missing modules that fit the bussiness needs. E.g. ServiceNow, Salesforce, and of course, wordpress. If you are developing these tools, then yeah, you will be working on a project that involves everything but just developing end user applications on it? You simply use their technologies. 

I am pretty sure that the website and software for Linus tech tip forum comes from a third party vendor in a similar fashion, then a developer installs and customize it.  No one at LTT is coding this whole thing from scratch.

Depends on what you are doing, if you are working on some project just for fun to figure out how something works, or you are learning it is useful to start from scratch, you will learn how things connect together.

If you are doing something more serious, then sure use some thirpardy, it will save a lot of time.

On 4/17/2021 at 10:33 AM, Liewyec said:

Depends on what you are doing, if you are working on some project just for fun to figure out how something works, or you are learning it is useful to start from scratch, you will learn how things connect together.

If you are doing something more serious, then sure use some thirpardy, it will save a lot of time.

You ever heard of the no code, low code movement? Some "software developers" can literally make full stack applications without writing any piece of code. This is how advanced software are these days. Software engineers are now engineering programming out of their career, literally. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

8 hours ago, wasab said:

You ever heard of the no code, low code movement? Some "software developers" can literally make full stack applications without writing any piece of code. This is how advanced software are these days. Software engineers are now engineering programming out of their career, literally. 

With this approach, sooner or later you will run into situation, where the prebuilt stuff does not do exactly what you want, and you need to modify it, and what then? Why do you think big frameworks (even wordpress) support custom extensions?

When you are lernig it is esential to understand the basics. 

6 hours ago, Liewyec said:

With this approach, sooner or later you will run into situation, where the prebuilt stuff does not do exactly what you want, and you need to modify it, and what then?

Contract it out?

Sudo make me a sandwich