Does Nvidia Reflex replaces any use for vsync ?

Gustavo Dutra
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,
11 minutes ago, Gustavo Dutra said:

I can on the nvidia panel, but idk if works.

If you can enable it, i'm pretty sure it works and that's the reason why there is no tearing without V-Sync. G-Sync only works once V-Sync is disabled.

I've started using vsync and trying to keep my games beyond my monitor hz to avoid screen tearing... Looks greats when above 100 fps.

Then i saw this new game called enlisted on a open beta. After looking at its settings i found out they do have this nvidia reflex option. If you enable it, the game automatically disables vsync. And i don't see much different if any at all.

Now, i've looked at the nvidia reflex explanation video and they still say to use their gsync stuff.

So, i still need vsync or not ? Im not sure whats going on here...

Literally all V-Sync does is to limit your fps to the max refresh rate of your monitor. If your games ran at more fps then your monitor refresh rate, then V-Sync was not enabled. Reflex will decrease your input lag, but will not work with V-Sync. However it will work when using G-Sync, which is the better option than V-Sync either way.

Personally i would never use V-Sync as it's known to increas your input lag a lot.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Literally all V-Sync does is to limit your fps to the max refresh rate of your monitor. If your games ran at more fps then your monitor refresh rate, then V-Sync was not enabled. Reflex will decrease your input lag, but will not work with V-Sync. However it will work when using G-Sync, which is the better option than V-Sync either way.

The idea of vsync capping frames isn't totally true. On planetside 2 vsync does not limit my fps to my monitor hz. And vsync kills screen tearing if you have enough frames to keep up with.

Weird that i dont see screen tearing with reflex and vsync off in that game.

1 minute ago, Gustavo Dutra said:

Weird that i dont see screen tearing with reflex and vsync off in that game.

Probably because with V-Sync disabled, G-Sync is active. It's the better option to reduce or eliminate screen tearing than V-Sync.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Just now, Stahlmann said:

Probably because with V-Sync disabled, G-Sync is active. It's the better option to reduce or eliminate screen tearing than V-Sync.

Thats the catch, i dont have gysnc lol.

1 minute ago, Gustavo Dutra said:

Thats the catch, i dont have gysnc lol.

Do you have a FreeSync monitor? Most of the time these also work with G-Sync.

6 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Do you have a FreeSync monitor? Most of the time these also work with G-Sync.

Yes its FreeSync tho nvidia panel says its not compatible.

Just now, Gustavo Dutra said:

Yes its FreeSync tho nvidia panel says its not compatible.

Can you enable G-Sync in your driver options or not?

Just now, Stahlmann said:

Can you enable G-Sync in your driver options or not?

11 minutes ago, Gustavo Dutra said:

If you can enable it, i'm pretty sure it works and that's the reason why there is no tearing without V-Sync. G-Sync only works once V-Sync is disabled.

I also only had FreeSync monitors for the past few years, but every single one of them worked flawlessly with G-Sync.

2 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I also only had FreeSync monitors for the past few years, but every single one of them worked flawlessly with G-Sync.

Yeah i enabled it and i think its working. In the past i did this before but forgot to enable the on build tv freesync... Thanks