Gaming Laptop Thermals / Max Fps

dennistheden

Context:

Howdy. Here's my computer: https://www.microcenter.com/product/621985/maingear-element-3-173-gaming-laptop-computer---black

For games I only play DOTA2, which I've come to gather is more CPU intensive than GPU. Always, I LOVE FPS I want as many as possible. However, it seems like my CPU, and more specifically my CPU thermals, is what is holding my computer back from increasing *fps. I've undervolted my CPU -0.5 which I gather helps with heat issues. I even got a cooling pad, which may not be of a TON of help, but I gather that it's at least >0 help. 

Min/Max FPS during a dota game can be far apart depending on game state, but I'm looking to take my 500 FPS MAX / 200 FPS MIN and turn it into a 360 FPS MIN (I don't care about the max at that point).

Question:

If I tinker with underclocking my CPU (throttlestop?), can I get a gain of FPS by limiting thermal throttling? Or will any substantial underclocking simply reduce heat AND FPS simultaneously? Or is there a way to take some of the CPU load and offset it onto the GPU, as from the looks of things my GPU has alot of headroom with the type of games and settings that I play at.

8 hours ago, dennistheden said:

I've undervolted my CPU -0.5

Is that 0.5 V or mV? Did you undervolt both the CPU core and cache.

Post a screenshot of your settings.

Turn on the Log File option in ThrottleStop and run a log file while gaming. Turn on Nvidia GPU in the Options window so your GPU data is included in the log file. Attach a log file to your next post or copy and paste the data to http://www.pastebin.com

If your laptop was properly designed and setup, there might not be much room to improve its performance further.