OCULUS QUEST 2 120HZ AND AIR LINK MODES COMING SOON IN NEW UPDATE

Going_AFK

Summary

oculus is adding 120hz mode but with the quest 2 running hotter, shorter battery life and bad quality in games making it possible, it is for the developers to use so it will always be there, unsure if it is coming to oculus link or "air link". Virtual Desktop  dev replied to a comment about 120hz mode "Yep, the 120hz update is ready to roll out whenever the Quest 2 update lands" so wireless 120hz vr should be available. Wireless PCVR streaming is soon to be made availabe but making application like virtual desktop obsolete. 

Infinite desktop allows users to bring a desk and wireless keyboard into vr but so far only keyboard that is supported is logitech k830 that you can see a 3d model of in vr

Quotes

"Oculus is announcing that wireless PC streaming, a 120Hz refresh rate, and improvements to Infinite Office will be coming to the Oculus Quest 2 with the v28 software update, which the company says will be rolling out soon."

My thoughts

It is really cool but it is sad to see a true developer for the oculus platform like virtual desktop become obsolete since his software has better compatibility with pcvr wirelessly then facebook does with the oculus link cable

Sources

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-oculus-air-link-a-wireless-way-to-play-pc-vr-games-on-oculus-quest-2-plus-infinite-office-updates-support-for-120-hz-on-quest-2-and-more/

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/13/22382805/oculus-quest-2-facebook-wireless-pc-streaming-120hz-infinite-office

Looking forward to the update. Really great stuff in there.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

If only there was a PC focused version of the quest 2:

no account requirement

no ability to run native apps (reduced onboard processing and battery)

included optical link cable

same price

I would actually buy into VR for once.

11 hours ago, Going_AFK said:

Wireless PCVR streaming is soon to be made availabe but making application like virtual desktop obsolete. 

Oh good. So hopefully by the time I can get my hands on a GPU that doesn't have a massively inflated price tag, this update will be out and I won't have to buy VirtualDesktop or screw around with ALVR.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

You can get a quest 2 without all the facebook stuff actually, but it'll cost ya 😉 its $800 I think for the business orientated version. Will be interesting to know if the streaming over air link is comparable to VD or better. I've heard that there is a 100mbps limit on AMD card and a 200mbps limit on the Nvidia cards. with virtual desktop only capable of 150mbps I wonder if the extra 50mbps of bandwidth will make a big difference or not. It'll also be sweet to use ASW for flight sim 🙂 (I'm cheap and don't want to buy a link cable )

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

54 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

If only there was a PC focused version of the quest 2:

no account requirement

no ability to run native apps (reduced onboard processing and battery)

included optical link cable

same price

I would actually buy into VR for once.

the account thing is a Facebook issue, best option that PC focused is the HP Reverb G2
has higher res but slow hz (90hz). its a WMR device (supported by steam VR)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

the account thing is a Facebook issue, best option that PC focused is the HP Reverb G2
has higher res but slow hz (90hz). its a WMR device (supported by steam VR)

Correct me if i'm wrong but higher res displays is the worst way to increase how good content looks on a VR Headset.

The lenses on the Quest 2 result in a better picture without needing to crank the resolution.

Also I will NEVER EVER EVER buy a VR headset that requires a proprietary cable. HP is the worst VR company for this. They break and you cannot replace them.

Nice, whether you're a Facebook fan or not

Drives competition, or not if other companies can't produce headsets cheaply like oculus, because they can subsidize by collecting data

The price of other VR headset is just too stupidly high compared to quest 2

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I'm saving for a gpu. 

Don't make me take a detour for a quest 2! 

Seriously though, I kinda want one. The starwars game looks cool, and I'd probably play..... A lot..... Of beatsaber if I got one.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

20 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

too bad the Quest 2 is DOA for me due to the requirement of a Facebook account linked to your Oculus account.

^This

On 4/14/2021 at 6:46 PM, TrigrH said:

Correct me if i'm wrong but higher res displays is the worst way to increase how good content looks on a VR Headset.

The lenses on the Quest 2 result in a better picture without needing to crank the resolution.

Also I will NEVER EVER EVER buy a VR headset that requires a proprietary cable. HP is the worst VR company for this. They break and you cannot replace them.

i had to buy a new rift-s because they never stock any cables. perfectly good headset sitting in my garage collecting dust.