Windows 10 on 2 devices

Cringe123

I had a laptop from ages ago that had windows 10 on it. It started getting really slow so i thought i may as well install windows 7 on it to try it out again as i didn't care for the laptop at all. However I recently discovered that it was the hard drive that was broken so i replaced it with an ssd and installed windows 10 back. I typed in my email address into the email thing in the windows 10 setup. I just found out though that on my microsoft account it shows as both my laptop and my main pc on the same email address. Is this bad? I heard you can't have 1 windows on 2 devices.

Its all fine. Your account is shared between the to but the windows license is not

1 minute ago, Hyrogenes said:

Its all fine. Your account is shared between the to but the windows license is not

ah. Thanks. How did my laptop remember the licence though. I completely removed the hard drive from it and installed a completely different os on it?

Just now, Cringe123 said:

ah. Thanks. How did my laptop remember the licence though. I completely removed the hard drive from it and installed a completely different os on it?

Windows is a rather weird thing. It remembers the hardware you use so even if you change the storage config itll remember the ram cpu gpu and mobo you have and keep the key

11 minutes ago, Hyrogenes said:

Windows is a rather weird thing. It remembers the hardware you use so even if you change the storage config itll remember the ram cpu gpu and mobo you have and keep the key

nice. Thanks. Ill keep this in mind

Just now, Cringe123 said:

nice. Thanks. Ill keep this in mind

However at any point of your upgrade the liscence will just stop working with seemingly no rhyme or reason. Windows is like the ship of theseus thought experiment. Except it can't decide if the key only works for the complete original pc  or for as long as the pc slowly transitioned part by part.