Monitor losing display signal, graphics card fans ramp up

Dredavila

I am having a very weird and inconsistent problem with my PC and am not sure how to even diagnose it.

Whenever I seem to open up a game (especially demanding ones) my monitor will randomly lose the display signal from the graphics card and the graphics cards fans will start to spin at what seems to be full speed. The graphics card remains on and the PC and monitor will stay in this state until I have to reset the computer. The sound in my game will also bug out in the background while this is going on and it will even disconnect me from online games as soon as it happens.

And if this does happen, when I reboot my PC and get to the sign in screen, as soon as I input my password and hit the enter button it will lose the display signal and do the whole ramping up thing. Restarting my PC over and over seems to let me get back in after enough tries but it does not solve the problem.

The most complex part about it to me is that the first time I played a non-demanding game for 2 minutes, it lost signal. After rebooting and getting back in, I tried the same game again and was able to play for about an hour uninterrupted. After this I tried a demanding game and it lost signal.