PC will not boot whilst GPU is connected - HELP!

Thornton2021

Hey, I'm new to the forum - I usually manage to solve my issues just through browsing old posts, but I can't find any solutions to this issue, just lots of posts which are then left without a confirmed solution.

I have a custom built PC which is about 12 months old, I have had a few freezes whilst playing games but nothing major and nothing that a re-boot hasn't sorted, I was playing a game (the GPU was at about 60% so not under full load) and my system powered down out of the blue and would not re-start, there was no burning smell or any visible signs of failure, when the power button is pressed there is nothing, a slight half rotation of the case fans but nothing more. I assumed it was the PSU initially but after performing the paperclip test the PSU fired up normally, so I connected the motherboard and CPU, again it started fine, then once I connected the PCIe cables (6pin + 8pin) to the GPU from the PSU the system would not start again, strangely when only the 6pin PCIE cable is connected the system does start but, but does not recognise the GPU (VGA LED on the EZDEBUG on the motherboard is illuminated). I don't have another system to test any components in nor any components I can swap out to test in my system.

From what I can gather it's likely a dead GPU (which is odd considering it wasn't being stretched at all at the time and hasn't overheated), but could it be anything else? is there anything else I can try to get the system working?

Specs as follows:

CPU: i9 9900k

MB: MSI Z390-A pro

GPU: ASUS RTX 2070 Super Turbo EVO 8G

RAM: Corsair Vengance DDR4 16GB X2 (32GB) 30000 mhz

PSU: Corsair Vengance 650m

I can use integrated graphics without the GPU corrected to access the BIOS and all settings.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Will update this post when a solution is identified for anyone else that faces a similar issue in the future. 

Many thanks.