360 hrz External Monitor to Laptop

dennistheden

I'm looking to connect an external monitor with a refresh rate of 360 to my laptop. However, my laptop* does not have a DP, only thunderbolt, standard USB and HDMI. I did some individual research and asked some people at micro center, but the consensus is that I can't simply "adapt" the out DP cable from the monitor into a hdmi and still retain the 360 hz ability. Please let me know if this is not possible or if there's a way to accomplish this. Thanks alot!

Here's my computer:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/621985/maingear-element-3-173-gaming-laptop-computer---black

The monitor I'm thinking of:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/634182/dell-alienware-aw2521h-245-full-hd-360hz-hdmi-dp-g-sync-hdr10-ips-led-gaming-monitor

Thunderbolt to Display Port dongle is dime a dozen, that you dont need to worry about it much when you have one of those. But you gotta make sure you have a Thunderbolt to Display Port 1.4 for compatibility and stability sake due to 360Hz bandwith requirements (basically ya need a big data tubes for it)

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

5 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Thunderbolt to Display Port dongle is dime a dozen, that you dont need to worry about it much when you have one of those. But you gotta make sure you have a Thunderbolt to Display Port 1.4 for compatibility and stability sake due to 360Hz bandwith requirements (basically ya need a big data tubes for it)

So as long as I have the correct cables, I can just adapt the DP cable from the monitor into a thunderbolt and then plug that into my laptop while still retaining the 360 hertz ability?

* Is Display Port 1.4 a type of cable?

* Or you mean to make sure that the adapter cable is compatible with DP type 1.4?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks again!

3 minutes ago, dennistheden said:

* Is Display Port 1.4 a type of cable?

* Or you mean to make sure that the adapter cable is compatible with DP type 1.4?

Both Cable and adapters. Displayport 1.4 is the update to the Displayport 1.2 and 1.3, with support for resolution of up to 8K at 60Hz, and generally the higher the resolution support means that your bandwith is bigger for higher refresh rate as well. And in particular (i cant open microcenter site because they hate my IP guts for some reason), that Alienware monitor is stuck at 240hz without Displayport 1.4.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.