Clockspeed vs # of Cores?

I was looking at www.pcpartpicker.com earlier this evening to see how it will cost to upgrade my System I built in mid 2013. I quickly notice that while Intel Core-i5 11000 Series 6C 2600Mhz CPU was cheaper and with iGPU, was 1,000Mhz slower then the R5-3600 3600Mhz.

I comparing this to my i5-4670 3400Mhz I built my current Rig. Granted with the newer i5 w/ iGPU I get two more Cores and backup, newer  iGPU, it just seems a bit backwards being 800Mhz lower the Haswell i5 I'm using.

Or despite this I will still get a major increase in Performance over the I5 I have?

Don't just look at the base frequency. The i5 11600 goes from 2.8 to 4.8 GHz, in case that's the one you're talking about.

There's also generational improvements where newer CPUs are faster than previous generations at the same clock speed (IPC improvements)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can't compare mhz like that. Look at reviews of the performance of those cpus, as cpus can do much more or less work at the same clock speed.

Also lots of modern cpus basically never run at that base speed.

Right and I was sort of thinking that. I remember the Megahertz  Wars during the Mid90's. AMD's K5 outperformed the Pentium at the time...

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Don't just look at the base frequency. The i5 11600 goes from 2.8 to 4.8 GHz, in case that's the one you're talking about.

There's also generational improvements where newer CPUs are faster than previous generations at the same clock speed (IPC improvements)

The i5 I was looking at goes form 2.6 to 4.4 Ghz.

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

that's boost clock, not overclock, you can usually hit 4.8 with decent cooling/motherboard.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

7 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Right and I was sort of thinking that. I remember the Megahertz  Wars during the Mid90's. AMD's K5 outperformed the Pentium at the time...

Yea the new chips do a lot more per instruction than your current chip. There are also lots of new special instructions that make some tasks much faster like avx2.

6 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Its basically never going to be running at 2.6ghz, its probably sitting at about 4ghz-4.4 under most loads.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea the new chips do a lot more per instruction than your current chip. There are also lots of new special instructions that make some tasks much faster like avx2.

Its basically never going to be running at 2.6ghz, its probably sitting at about 4ghz-4.4 under most loads.

At all six cores?

Just now, whm1974 said:

At all six cores?

Well you didn't say the exact cpu you were looking at, but looking at the 11600k, its all core turbo is 4.6ghz at stock speeds(might hit power limit though)

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-11600k/23.html

The non k version is a bit lower, probably like 4.2-4.4.

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

I was looking at www.pcpartpicker.com earlier this evening to see how it will cost to upgrade my System I built in mid 2013. I quickly notice that while Intel Core-i5 11000 Series 6C 2600Mhz CPU was cheaper and with iGPU, was 1,000Mhz slower then the R5-3600 3600Mhz.

I comparing this to my i5-4670 3400Mhz I built my current Rig. Granted with the newer i5 w/ iGPU I get two more Cores and backup, newer  iGPU, it just seems a bit backwards being 800Mhz lower the Haswell i5 I'm using.

Or despite this I will still get a major increase in Performance over the I5 I have?

basically what everyone else has said

btw all the 11th gen i5s are faster than 3600 and will be a huge jump from the 4670

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler