Upgrade PC to Ryzen (CPU, Mobo, RAM and SSDs) or switch to a M1 Mac mini and use old PC as NAS?

I'm tempted to upgrade my PC because my cooler leaked, killed the CPU and mobo so I'm now using a 3rd gen i5 and a mobo that can't take the 4 sticks of ram so I'm on 8gb only, I was thinking about getting just a used compatible mobo with 4 slots of ram, but they are as expensive as new ones so if I go all new my target is a 5600x or 5800x but that means also getting, ram and (since I'm upgrading) a nvme ssd, adding up the costs I'm within mac mini prices so I'm doubting about two directions to take:

Option 1: Upgrade this PC, hackintosh it and maybe sell the old parts or upgrade my grandparents pc or something with it.

Option 2: Get a M1 mac mini and keep the PC as is but use it as a file server, the case is huge and can hold like 10 drives so it would be a nice NAS, also I am already keeping it on 24/7 since I'm mining ETH.

I work as a software developer and used to have a heavy use for my PC, running local servers and many virtual machines. Now I switched to rented servers and basically all my development is cloud based. I already use macOS as my main OS, also I no longer game, maybe some casual minecraft or flight simulator but no more than that.

What would you do? What life expectancy can I expect from the mac? I know that if it dies out of warranty I'm fucked, compared to a custom rig where it's easier to get parts and do whatever you want.

LianLi A71F Fulltower - i7 3770k delided + Corsair H60 - G.Skill Ripjaws 16 Gb @2133 Mhz - Sabertooth Z77 - Asrock Vega 56 - Asus Xonar Essence STX - Creative SoundBlaster Omni - 2x Corsair Force GT 120 Gb - 2x WD Green 2 Tb - 1x WD Blue 2 Tb - Corsair K70 w/ Red switches - Logitech MX Anywhere 2.

id go with the mac

Im working as a SysAdmin and DevOps, and I can tell you all our senior staff love the new m1 series.

they are fast, and slick.

Id use the towerpc maybe as time machine backup, and maybe for some vms using kvm

I'd go with the mac mini, just for the reliability over a Hackintosh. Plus, having a server to use is very helpful. I get not trusting Apple, it's the main reason I'm an Android user, but if you like Mac OS, I'd say the Mac Mini is the better option.

For upgrading you have to buy almost all new parts and can only use some of the parts you have which might add up to the coast of just buying a new computer. Also, having the other computer as a backup and holding any data that can not fit on the Mac would help with price of getting the Mac mini.

Good to see that it wasn't a bad idea to consider a new mac, but I think this opens a new question: mac mini or stretch the budget for a base macbook air?

I've never been a laptop user (actually hate them because of the lack of upgrades down the line, but that will be the same with a mini) and currently use an iPad for when I'm not working from home (rare thing these days due covid) because it's light and fits in a really small bag (yeah, women's thing I know).

Is it a good idea to keep a laptop docked and plugged in all day or will that hurt the battery? TBH I could even sell the iPad to lessen the price difference.

LianLi A71F Fulltower - i7 3770k delided + Corsair H60 - G.Skill Ripjaws 16 Gb @2133 Mhz - Sabertooth Z77 - Asrock Vega 56 - Asus Xonar Essence STX - Creative SoundBlaster Omni - 2x Corsair Force GT 120 Gb - 2x WD Green 2 Tb - 1x WD Blue 2 Tb - Corsair K70 w/ Red switches - Logitech MX Anywhere 2.