Drawing tablet for beginner?

kylerit

Hello!

I am looking to buy my wife a drawing tablet for her birthday. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a budget of $1100?

I was looking at the Microsoft Pro 7, but am afraid the specs wouldn't be able to support the drawing applications with just a 1.1GHz i5, with 8GB RAM, and a 126GB SSD. The higher specced ones fall out of my price range. I was also looking at the iPad pro, but just the 256GB model would already max out my budget before the pen and keyboard, and I don't know how working on that would compare to working on a dedicated drawing tablet.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, kylerit said:

I don't know how working on that would compare to working on a dedicated drawing tablet.

ipads are ok from what I have heard and seen

or ipad air

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I've heard Wacom is a really good brand for this kind of thing and have a wide range of products, just not sure what the best hardware/software combo with it would be the best. (this is there "beginner" one, they have ones that are more for like artists in the $600-1100 range which is out of budget if you also need a PC to boot)
Amazon.com: One by Wacom Student drawing tablet for Windows PC, Mac and certified Works With Chromebook: Computers & Accessories

1 minute ago, RAM555789 said:

I've heard Wacom is a really good brand for this kind of thing and have a wide range of products, just not sure what the best hardware/software combo with it would be the best. 
Amazon.com: One by Wacom Student drawing tablet for Windows PC, Mac and certified Works With Chromebook: Computers & Accessories

I think this guy is looking for a tablet like ipad?

but yeah I was thinking wacom but there computer tablets are nutz

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 minutes ago, sub68 said:

I think this guy is looking for a tablet like ipad?

Well yeah I knew they wanted a drawling tablet, just wanted to add another perspective, because if they already have a laptop setup it could be a lot cheaper to get a Wacom and some decent drawling software and go that route, Also depends on how good the laptop monitor is with color range, and how well the software they would use works.

1 minute ago, RAM555789 said:

Well yeah I knew they wanted a drawling tablet, just wanted to add another perspective, because if they already have a laptop setup it could be a lot cheaper to get a Wacom and some decent drawling software and go that route, Also depends on how good the laptop monitor is with color range, and how well the software they would use works.

Ok thats actually going that might be cheaper.

me:

stares at wacom CTL4100

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Do you want a tablet that can also be a drawing tablet or a drawing tablet to hook up to a computer?

If pure tablet self contained device an ipad with apple pencil support is the way to go.

If a drawing tablet for a computer a wacom medium size tablet is my recommendation.

15 hours ago, kylerit said:

Hello!

I am looking to buy my wife a drawing tablet for her birthday. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a budget of $1100?

I was looking at the Microsoft Pro 7, but am afraid the specs wouldn't be able to support the drawing applications with just a 1.1GHz i5, with 8GB RAM, and a 126GB SSD. The higher specced ones fall out of my price range. I was also looking at the iPad pro, but just the 256GB model would already max out my budget before the pen and keyboard, and I don't know how working on that would compare to working on a dedicated drawing tablet.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

How about an iPad Air? As long as an 11-inch screen is reasonable, it'll fit the bill and give you money for the Pencil and Magic Keyboard. She'd only really need the iPad Pro if she could use the larger screen or the extra rear camera tech. And since she's a beginner, a larger screen might be overkill.

There will be effort involved in getting her artwork to other devices (though it may be easy if you use some cloud-connected apps), but the allure of drawing on the computing device itself is the intuitiveness — you don't have that disjunction between what's happening on screen versus what's happening on a dedicated drawing surface.

15 hours ago, sub68 said:

stares at wacom CTL4100

Oh this looks quite nice. I actually might have to pick this up myself, I have a family member myself who was looking to get into digital drawling. 

15 hours ago, jaslion said:

Do you want a tablet that can also be a drawing tablet or a drawing tablet to hook up to a computer?

If pure tablet self contained device an ipad with apple pencil support is the way to go.

If a drawing tablet for a computer a wacom medium size tablet is my recommendation.

I was mainly looking for a tablet that can be a drawing tablet. Although the iPad isn't a dedicated to drawing, it does appear to be a pretty damn good option for artists at this price point. All other stand alone tablets either seem inadequate in terms of specs at this price, or are twice as expensive for decently quick machine.

My current order will be ~$70 over budget, but I think it's money well spent. Do you guys agree with my picks?

iPad Pro 12.9 126GB https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0863D15R6

Apple Pencil Gen 2 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1WWBJK

Logitech Slim Folio Keyboard https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086LLNJQX

2 hours ago, kylerit said:

I was mainly looking for a tablet that can be a drawing tablet. Although the iPad isn't a dedicated to drawing, it does appear to be a pretty damn good option for artists at this price point. All other stand alone tablets either seem inadequate in terms of specs at this price, or are twice as expensive for decently quick machine.

My current order will be ~$70 over budget, but I think it's money well spent. Do you guys agree with my picks?

The ipad pro is so beyond overkill for a beginner really but if it is what you want go for it. I'd recommend a cheaper ipad to first see if she likes it and then move on. Keep in mind you also need to get something like procreate too. Also no real need for a keyboard if the main focus is drawing. All the good apps are fully made for touchscreen and do not have keyboard shortcuts/inputs.

11 hours ago, kylerit said:

Looks solid to me, I was jjust suggesting some other options that could be cheaper, but as you said seemed inadequate.

13 hours ago, kylerit said:

If it were me it'd be the iPad Air 256GB, Apple Pencil Gen 2, and the Apple Magic Keyboard. That last bit could be important for drawing, since your wife can easily detach the iPad from the keyboard when she wants to draw. The Logitech keyboard you can fold around, of course, but it's basically 'stuck' to the iPad whether you need it or not.