10400F Motherboard Recommendation

Hello!

Looking for a cheap motherboard to pair with a 10400f. I assume temps should be fine on any mobo with this CPU but I might pick up a second hand 8 core in the future. The cheapest boards are all Asrock but I know their z490 boards have really poor vrm's and I can't find any reviews for b460 or b560 boards.

Any recommendation welcome

Michael

3 minutes ago, Michael. said:

Hello!

Looking for a cheap motherboard to pair with a 10400f. I assume temps should be fine on any mobo with this CPU but I might pick up a second hand 8 core in the future. The cheapest boards are all Asrock but I know their z490 boards have really poor vrm's and I can't find any reviews for b460 or b560 boards.

Michael

b560-hdv for the cheapest possible, it should be around $75 USD, otherwise the b560-pro 4 matx, should be around $100 or so. They support faster memory so if you're gaming you'll want to pick up a kit of faster memory. Not *all* of Asrock's z490s have poor vrms, but most of them do, uhhh their b460's and b560's aren't really that different, vrms are pretty bad on the hdv and the pro4, but since you're just using a 10400, you're not going to have any issues. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

4 minutes ago, Michael. said:

Hello!

Michael

Hi, and welcome in the form!

can I ask what is your budget?

19 minutes ago, Michael. said:

Hello!

Michael

This b460 Aorus pro can handle this one and can handle an I7 10700 and the price is pretty darn good https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-B460M-AORUS-PRO-Motherboard/dp/B08934QJNQ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=b460&qid=1618345780&sr=8-1 

22 hours ago, Omar.B said:

Hi, and welcome in the form!

can I ask what is your budget?

Thank you!

No budget per say just looking for as cheap as possible.

PRIME B560M-A|Motherboards|ASUS Global This board looks ideal for me I just don't have any knowledge of it's VRM. I will likely upgrade in the future so I want to make sure the mobo can handle a higher power cpu.

1 hour ago, Michael. said:

Thank you!

No budget per say just looking for as cheap as possible.

PRIME B560M-A|Motherboards|ASUS Global This board looks ideal for me I just don't have any knowledge of it's VRM. I will likely upgrade in the future so I want to make sure the mobo can handle a higher power cpu.

its good it can handle an i5 but the price is 110$ and the aorus is even better which can handle i7 is 10$higher (120$) and in the future you can still upgrade with the aorus 

On 4/13/2021 at 11:17 PM, Michael. said:

Hello!

You don't really need a beast VRM for a 10400f. Pretty much anything that has the appropriate socket will be just fine powering this chip. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

24 minutes ago, Omar.B said:

its good it can handle an i5 but the price is 110$ and the aorus is even better which can handle i7 is 10$higher (120$) and in the future you can still upgrade with the aorus 

The Gigabyte board will limit the ram speed though for the i5, and that means less performance. He is better off getting a 500 series chipset.

9 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The Gigabyte board will limit the ram speed though for the i5, and that means less performance. He is better off getting a 500 series chipset.

true but this still intel mistake