Intel should just force us to use ATX12VO and call it a day.....

I mean... seriously.  Don't even leave it open to choice.  I think with DDR5 and/or PCIe 5.0, they should just say ATX12VO is the ONLY platform that supports this new tech.

I mean (I use those two words a lot apparently), if you want PCIe 5.0 and DDR5, you're going to need a new motherboard any way.  And you can "adapt" an ATX12V PSU to support ATX12VO (example: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/ATX12VO-Adapter-Cable/p/CP-8920272) so why not just "s*** or get off the pot".

Smaller power connector (10-pin), cleaner cable routing, higher standby voltage (lower current).....  it's a win-win IMHO.

If you could get both AMD and Intel on board with this it would be amazing. DDR5/ PCIE 5.0 will already need new chipsets. Intel is already(based on history) going to be changing platform. Rumor is that AMD is also changing platform with the next generation CPU. Seems like the perfect, logical time to do so. If you are upgrading to DDR5/PCIE5.0 you need a new CPU, Mobo and RAM. Adding a new PSU here too wouldn't be the end of the world. At first the higher costs would just be our "early adopter tax."

There's not really going to be an equally good time for across the board change until the yet to be spoken of DDR6. PCIE can change without major changes to other hardware as AMD showed. DDR6 will be the next step to where people "need" to buy the other new equipment to go with it. 

On a selfish note. Give us less cables for the small builds!

Spoiler

20201222_211705.jpg

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Does this make the motherboard more expensive for the extra onboard dc converters?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

8 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

If you could get both AMD and Intel on board with this it would be amazing. 

AMD is definitely interested in ATX12VO.

7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Does this make the motherboard more expensive for the extra onboard dc converters?

There's kind of a wash.  There's already a lot of conversion done on the board already. 

image.png.1e3259ac7e23a0c92200f2c3efc17280.png

The biggest cost adder would be the +5V buck for SATA and the additional connectors, but then the PSU should be cheaper because it doesn't have that buck conversion or cable.  Besides... M.2.  I don't even have a 2.5" SSD anymore.  I have two M.2 drives.

21 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

The biggest cost adder would be the +5V buck for SATA

I'm wondering how that will be handled or if there's the possibility of a PCIE 12v to 5v SATA step down more for home storage than anything. Especially with people going away from 3.5 drives and 2.5s kind of going the same way. 

This is more of me thinking out loud about future scenarios. My NAS, and a bunch of people just getting into a NAS tend to use old hardware they have around the house. Once we get to where this standard is that old hardware I'm just wondering if there's a feasible equivalent to adding another SATA power cable coming off the PSU. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I'm wondering how that will be handled or if there's the possibility of a PCIE 12v to 5v SATA step down more for home storage than anything. Especially with people going away from 3.5 drives and 2.5s kind of going the same way. 

This is more of me thinking out loud about future scenarios. My NAS, and a bunch of people just getting into a NAS tend to use old hardware they have around the house. Once we get to where this standard is that old hardware I'm just wondering if there's a feasible equivalent to adding another SATA power cable coming off the PSU. 

I'm sure internal buck converter "boxes", similar to something like NZXT's internal powered USB hub, will become available once we see more and more ATX12VO.  

That would be great !

The only issue is people using group-regulated units with such adapters... 😔
(They shouldn't be using such units to begin with, but knowing how cheap and uninformed people can be...)

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I think with DDR5 and/or PCIe 5.0, they should just say ATX12VO is the ONLY platform that supports this new

Honestly, a full overhaul with the upcomming socket changes would be awsome. 

A couple of adapters included in the box for the first 5 years and most of the issues should be resolved for people who cant get a new PSU. 

Also give me U.2/3. Allow us to use 2,5inch bays for stuff! Internal and external. External rear end 2,5inch bay to slot in a USB or Network card. No need to use PCIe slots or slot space. Then again, we cant have nice things

Is there anyway you can make 12VO backwards compatible (or forwards compatible, for that matter)? Backwards compatibility might not be realistic but forward compatible is, except for the standby rail. Maybe they should keep the standby at 5V before transitioning fully into 12V only?

38 minutes ago, boghubodaghi said:

Is there anyway you can make 12VO backwards compatible (or forwards compatible, for that matter)? Backwards compatibility might not be realistic but forward compatible is, except for the standby rail. Maybe they should keep the standby at 5V before transitioning fully into 12V only?

Do you know the difference between backwards and forwards?  LOL!

As I said in my original post:

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Or are you saying they should make ATX12VO power supplies work with ATX12V boards?

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Do you know the difference between backwards and forwards?  LOL!

To be frank I might have mixed it up. I meant backwards compatible is whether or not a 12VO PSU can supply a "regular" board (which is unrealistic), and forwards compatible the other way around (12VO board running with a normal PSU). I meant to say if you are buying 12VO boards in the future, you won't be using it with a normal power supply as you're missing the 12V standby rail. I am aware of the existence of those adapters, but I'm thinking about the standby rails which might be missing (or am I just confused? could be very possible).

I also thought of having standby buck converters in the new boards, as if 5V to 12V converters. But that's just going to be another cost adder.