Which PSU plugs for 8+4 pin CPU power?

Go to solution Solved by Analog,
5 minutes ago, chudtopia said:

not a complete expert but i think you should be able to put it in the other cpu pin slot and it should only fit on one side

The connectors are keyed, you can't really mess it up. The 6+2 pins and the 4+4 EPS connectors all can be connected to the same spots and are 8 pins. The peripheral and SATA are 6 pins. 24 pin motherboard connector - self explanatory. This is how they are divided:

image.thumb.png.b816115984a067c9fc3dd8f993eeb1d5.png

I'm pairing a Corsair RM650 with a ROG Strix b550-f gaming WiFi which has 8+4 pin cpu power plugs. I know the extra 4 pin plug isn't strictly necessary but might just plug it in anyway in case I want to OC at some point. My PSU came with both an 8 pin and divisible 8 pin (4+4) cpu power cables.

Into which plug on the PSU does the second CPU cable go? On the bottom row, are both the plugs on the right for CPU cables and if so, which do I plug the 8 and 4 pin into or does it not matter?

(Sorry if this is a stupid question, first time builder!)

Thanks!

RM650 plug plate.jpg

not a complete expert but i think you should be able to put it in the other cpu pin slot and it should only fit on one side

5 minutes ago, chudtopia said:

The connectors are keyed, you can't really mess it up. The 6+2 pins and the 4+4 EPS connectors all can be connected to the same spots and are 8 pins. The peripheral and SATA are 6 pins. 24 pin motherboard connector - self explanatory. This is how they are divided:

image.thumb.png.b816115984a067c9fc3dd8f993eeb1d5.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

-- Moved to Power Supplies --

Follow the image @Analogshared.

Within those four connectors in the red shape, it doesn't matter which connector your use for your 8 pin CPU/4 pin CPU/6+2 pin PCIe cable.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

20 minutes ago, wolfy21 said:

8 pin and divisible 8 pin (4+4)

Use that.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 hours ago, wolfy21 said:

I know the extra 4 pin plug isn't strictly necessary but might just plug it in anyway in case I want to OC at some point

Even for LN2 on a 5950x. The extra 4-pin is essentially pointless. So you could just leave it empty