Building a PC for a friend

Rhestyn

Hi all! trying this here as i have not had a lot of success with r/buildapc in the past.

2000$

US

Will be used for gaming, video/music editing and some 3d modeling.

Here is what I have so far. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TXzmht

My current plan is to loan him my old 1070 until he can find a 3070 for a reasonable price(in a year probably).

Current computer is a radeon r9 280x and an intel xeon E3 1320 v3 so its not hard to double the performance.

He is planning on buying it as soon as he can.

Currently using 2 1080 monitors but plans on 3 in the future.

Not sure if the first note about the usb headers is an issue but willing to swap out the board.

Biggest question is if there are any obvious issues or bottlenecks.

Thanks for the help!

2 minutes ago, Rhestyn said:

Hi all! trying this here as i have not had a lot of success with r/buildapc in the past.

2000$

US

Will be used for gaming, video/music editing and some 3d modeling.

Here is what I have so far. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TXzmht

My current plan is to loan him my old 1070 until he can find a 3070 for a reasonable price(in a year probably).

Current computer is a radeon r9 280x and an intel xeon E3 1320 v3 so its not hard to double the performance.

He is planning on buying it as soon as he can.

Currently using 2 1080 monitors but plans on 3 in the future.

Not sure if the first note about the usb headers is an issue but willing to swap out the board.

Biggest question is if there are any obvious issues or bottlenecks.

Thanks for the help!

Solid build, however would recommend a 970 evo plus as it is nvme and good increase in performance. Also i would go for the same ram but 3600 mhz as ryzen benefits from such. Finally, i would have a look at other coolers for the cpu especially if overclocking, possibly a noctua nh-d15 or some type of watercooler. It will fit into the budget of 2000 with those extras or it may go slightly over, but not by more than $50 i would assume. 

Welcome to the forums!

PCPP will flag issues like this

I see no issues

24DF72AE-2C2E-4770-906E-E7C5A41DECC9.png

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

9 minutes ago, Adrian12 said:

Solid build, however would recommend a 970 evo plus as it is nvme and good increase in performance. Also i would go for the same ram but 3600 mhz as ryzen benefits from such. Finally, i would have a look at other coolers for the cpu especially if overclocking, possibly a noctua nh-d15 or some type of watercooler. It will fit into the budget of 2000 with those extras or it may go slightly over, but not by more than $50 i would assume. 

Are you talking about replacing the ssd or the existing nvme? Changed the ram and cooler out. He isn't planning on overclocking.

I made a couple minor tweaks, going with an NVMe drive for the same price as the original M.2 (the 860 evo is not an NVMe drive) and swapping out the motherboard for one that supports a front panel USB type C. All in all it's a pretty solid build. If I were doing it, I might have swapped out the case for a P400A, just because it's half the cost and still a pretty solid case, but the Define R6 is a pretty good case, and if he's a first time builder, the added creature comforts of the define R6 will be greatly enjoyed. 

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I made a couple minor tweaks, going with an NVMe drive for the same price as the original M.2 (the 860 evo is not an NVMe drive) and swapping out the motherboard for one that supports a front panel USB type C. All in all it's a pretty solid build. If I were doing it, I might have swapped out the case for a P400A, just because it's half the cost and still a pretty solid case, but the Define R6 is a pretty good case, and if he's a first time builder, the added creature comforts of the define R6 will be greatly enjoyed. 

I like the nvme change and the cooler. He does need wifi but I will put in an adapter to have the extra usb ports.

8 minutes ago, Rhestyn said:

I like the nvme change and the cooler. He does need wifi but I will put in an adapter to have the extra usb ports.

Just get a wifi card for $10. It removes the chipset fan, adds more USB ports, gives you surface mount power and reset buttons, and gives you the 7-segment display post code readout (a personal must for any motherboard I buy), and will still end up cheaper than the X570 TUF board. ASRock's BIOS is a bit weird to get around at first (especially for overclocking), but for the basic stuff it's pretty easy to figure out.