What are the real speeds for 3.1 type-c USB Drive

keavlar

Hey, 

So I bought a new 3.1 usb type-c Flash Drive.

And I do not see that of a difference between 3.0 and 3.1.

My MAIN QUESTION: PLEASE ANSWER IT! 

What are the speeds for :

Reading from USB (if I transfer a 4gb file from USB)

Write speed (When I write / copy a 4gb file to a flash drive)

Because, the results I see really bad, and not what I expected.

And over internet, I can't find a proper answer for write speeds. 

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

1 minute ago, chudtopia said:

could you link the drive here

I would prefer the speeds by preference, in total, what expect from 3.1 , but sure:

https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/usb-flash-drives/sandisk-ultra-dual-drive-luxe-usb-3-1-type-c#SDDDC4-128G-A46

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

im pretty sure this is correct, usb 3.0 has a bandwidth of 5Gb/s and usb 3.1 has a bandwidth of 10Gb/s, but that exactly mean it can read and write 10Gb/s and so it would have a slower read/write because of flash memory

1 minute ago, chudtopia said:

im pretty sure this is correct, usb 3.0 has a bandwidth of 5Gb/s and usb 3.1 has a bandwidth of 10Gb/s, but that exactly mean it can read and write 10Gb/s and so it would have a slower read/write because of flash memory

So you saying...

I should get a read and write speed over 500mbs? 

and if i had to guess, its probably about 150MB/s read and I think about 45MB/s

Just now, chudtopia said:

and if i had to guess, its probably about 150MB/s read and I think about 45MB/s

Clouse , write in between 16~60mbs.

Which annoys me. 

The interface speed ( usb 5 gbps , usb 10gbps) is different than actual capabilities of a product.

The actual transfer speeds will depend on the flash memory used and the controller inside.

There's a datasheet on the page linked : https://documents.westerndigital.com/content/dam/doc-library/en_us/assets/public/sandisk/product/usb-flash/ultra-dual-drive-luxe-usb-3-1-type-c/data-sheet-ultra-dual-drive-luxe-usb-3-1-type-c.pdf

It only says sequential read speed up to 150 MB/s though... so from my limited experience with such usb sticks... expect around 100-120 MB/s reads, and up to around 100 MB/s writes.

Usually sustained write speeds are a bit less than read speeds.

also because usbs stupid naming, usb 3.0 and usb 3.1 gen 1 are the same

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The interface speed ( usb 5 gbps , usb 10gbps) is different than actual capabilities of a product.

The actual transfer speeds will depend on the flash memory used and the controller inside.

There's a datasheet on the page linked : https://documents.westerndigital.com/content/dam/doc-library/en_us/assets/public/sandisk/product/usb-flash/ultra-dual-drive-luxe-usb-3-1-type-c/data-sheet-ultra-dual-drive-luxe-usb-3-1-type-c.pdf

It only says sequential read speed up to 150 MB/s though... so from my limited experience with such usb sticks... expect around 100-120 MB/s reads, and up to around 100 MB/s writes.

Usually sustained write speeds are a bit less than read speeds.

When will they fix it Jesus. What is the point in usb 3.1 and 3.2 if it still the same speeds, more or less. 

and on the website it says that the flashdrive is a 3.1 gen 1

4 minutes ago, keavlar said:

When will they fix it Jesus. What is the point in usb 3.1 and 3.2 if it still the same speeds, more or less. 

Because nobody stops you from buying an actual SSD and place it in an  external case and use it at high speeds.

Because usb sticks are the modern equivalent of floppy disks, temporary, lower quality, lower endurance storage ... nobody cares about making controllers with super fast speeds because nobody would pay for them, everyone wants very cheap usb sticks.

Because the actual form factor (a usb stick) doesn't make it easy to get high speeds - you would get high speeds by using RAM as write buffer (so an extra chip) and multiple Flash memory chips to read and write in them in parallel, as a SSDs does.

There are usb devices that get close to interface speed ... capture cards, external ssds ... and so on.

Nobody claimed the usb stick was capable of the maximum transfer speeds.

Between usb sticks and ssds you have SD cards and specialized cards for digital cameras and video cameras.... and those have higher quality flash and higher endurance and higher speeds and you can often find adapters to convert them to usb stick.

How it connects is only part of the equation. Just because the bus bandwidth is 10Gbps, doesn't mean the drive can push that hard. In the specs, it clearly says:

Quickly move files to your computer
Say goodbye to emailing photos between devices. Once files are on your SanDisk Ultra® Dual Drive Luxe, the high-end USB 3.1 Gen 1 performance with 150MB/s read speeds let you quickly move your files to your computer.1

So 150MBps is the absolute fastest it will go. Notice the little superscript at the end:

1. Read speeds up to 150MB/s. Write speed lower and vary by capacity. USB Type-C port with USB 3.1 Gen 1/ USB 3.0 support required. Based on internal testing; performance may be lower depending upon host device, interface, usage conditions and other factors. 1MB = 1,000,000 bytes.

That's not abnormal. Reads are usually faster, and what drive manufacturers advertise because they like big top line numbers. Also, like all drives, that's sequential. 4K random is far more common in normal day to day usage, and is always *much* slower.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Thanks for all relevant answers, and sarcastic as well 🙂