Is having dead pixels from a new monitor considered acceptable?

Peter Boyle

Hi,

Less than a month ago I purchased the MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD and a few days ago I noticed that it had a few dead pixels on the display. I asked for a return which is currently in process and ordered a new one as I needed a monitor asap and didnt mind buying it again since i was getting the refund for the other one. The new monitor (same model) has came today and it has even more dead pixels. At this point idk if I am just being picky but I was hoping to have no dead pixels on my new monitor. This monitor was looking hopeful but there is a few very noticeable dead pixels with one of which being on the windows search bar so it can always be seen when doing uni work.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for alternative monitors? Preferrably from a brand that actually have decent QC because I've lost all faith in MSI after this. I am looking for either a 1440p 144Hz (or higher) or a 1080p 240Hz monitor. I do quite like 1440p though so I might be ruling out the 1080p options as 1440p is so much sharper to me.

Thanks in advance

Personally i would say no. But some dont mind. if its like in the corner i wouldnt really care tbh

Just ask for another return and possibly a coupon for some discounts seeing as it happened twice 😉

8 minutes ago, Peter Boyle said:

At this point idk if I am just being picky but I was hoping to have no dead pixels on my new monitor.

Nah, you're not picky at all.

Dead pixels should not be accepted on monitors, companies should have a level of QA to make sure panels with dead pixels don't make it in production units.

Of course dead pixels can still occur, so they should have a good way of handling these types of issues (i.e. quick returns/replacements).

With ISO-9241-302, 303, 305, 307:2008 they are allowed to have some dead pixels though. Usually monitors fall in Class 1 or 2, meaning they can have 1/2 dead pixels per million pixels on screen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9241#ISO-9241-302.2C_303.2C_305.2C_307:2008_pixel_defects

So do keep in mind if you only have a couple dead pixels, they can decline your return/warranty request for that reason.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for alternative monitors? Preferrably from a brand that actually have decent QC because I've lost all faith in MSI after this. I am looking for either a 1440p 144Hz (or higher) or a 1080p 240Hz monitor. I do quite like 1440p though so I might be ruling out the 1080p options as 1440p is so much sharper to me.

While I don't have any specific recommendations, I have always had good experience with Samsung in the regard of having no dead pixels, including their panels (which multiple manufacturers use in their monitors).

That's not a specific recommendation though.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, Peter Boyle said:

Hi,

Less than a month ago I purchased the MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD and a few days ago I noticed that it had a few dead pixels on the display. I asked for a return which is currently in process and ordered a new one as I needed a monitor asap and didnt mind buying it again since i was getting the refund for the other one. The new monitor (same model) has came today and it has even more dead pixels. At this point idk if I am just being picky but I was hoping to have no dead pixels on my new monitor. This monitor was looking hopeful but there is a few very noticeable dead pixels with one of which being on the windows search bar so it can always be seen when doing uni work.

Thanks in advance

It all depends on what your doing, If it's professional work, I suggest just going with new one or just getting a new monitor. If your doing other things, its fine unless you get it for cheaper.

Current Setup: PC

5 minutes ago, Peter Boyle said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance

I once bought a monitor that ended up having dead pixels and it eventually spread across my whole screen as if my monitor had some form of monitor cancer.

I got a monitor from Gigabyte earlier this year and I spotted one dead pixel so I returned it immediately. They ended up sending me a new one that didn't have dead pixels. The box was unsealed meaning that they manually checked for them for me. I would say return it again and you should either buy from a company with better quality control or just keep buying the same monitor until one actually works.

Remember that you and I are human and we both make mistakes. If I say something you disagree with, you don't have to fight about it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It seems my luck with monitors isnt the best xD

14 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

I. personally, wouldn't accept a single dead pixel on a new monitor.

Thats what I was thinking but I assumed I was asking for too much since all of these have had them. My ASUS VG248QE I got years ago never had issues like this. Might give ASUS another try

Thats what I was thinking but I assumed I was asking for too much since all of these have had them. My ASUS VG248QE I got years ago never had issues like this. Might give ASUS another try

It's always going to be a concern when you go from for example TN to IPS.

Old school TN you basically had to punch to make dead pixels. 😄 At least in my experience, IF they didn't have them already.

Personally i have never had a dead pixel. Not in 100€ budget monitors, and not in 800€+ monitors. And i'm not the kind to run every possible test for dead pixels or backlight bleed as soon as a monitor arrives. In any case i would not accept any dead pixel whatsoever and immediately get it replaced. It's not "being picky" imo. It's about getting what you paid for.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

It seems I've been fairly unlucky with dead pixels compared to others here. My MSI Optix monitor and two of my previous non-touch laptop displays had dead pixels, but I've always just lived with them. With my Optix monitor the dead pixel is on the very edge of the display, so it isn't a huge issue, but I was hugely disappointed when I first noticed it. Saying that, if I had noticed the dead pixels within a day or two of receiving the product, I'd have returned it and demanded a replacement. Dead pixels should not be at all acceptable, quality control needs to be stepped up a lot at certain brands, but it just seems that a lot of people either don't notice at first or don't consider it a huge issue, so they sometimes slip the user by. As others have said, it's definitely not being picky, you paid for the monitor, so don't accept a defective one if you don't have to.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

Unfortunately dead pixels are not uncommon.

Manufacturers and retailers also generally have limits on what is considered a defect. (dumb i know)

It usually depends on where and how many dead pixels there are.

Dead pixels in the center portion of the screen for example are usually considered bad enough to warrant replacement, while dead pixel along the edges of the screen are considered acceptable and not eligible for replacement, unless there are many of them in one area.

Would i accept it...1 or 2 around the edges i'd be ok with, especially with higher density displays where they are less noticeable.

However more than that and i would push for a replacement. And certainly if the Display cost over £500, i wouldnt accept any at all.

Best course of action if ur worried about their warranty definitions for replacement, is to not make any mention of 'dead pixels' ...just act 'dumb' and say your screen has 'marks' on it under the surface, almost like dust or bugs. That should be enough to get it replaced.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 hour ago, Peter Boyle said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance

so, my monitor recommendation is an aoc 165hz 1080p monitor, perfect monitor in my opinion, ive been using their monitors for a year now, and not one came with a single dead pixel.            https://www.amazon.com/AOC-C24G1A-Frameless-1920x1080-adjustable/dp/B08D3Y5PFZ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=aoc+165hz+monitor&qid=1618325962&s=electronics&sr=1-2

1 hour ago, fuzz0r said:

It's always going to be a concern when you go from for example TN to IPS.

Old school TN you basically had to punch to make dead pixels. 😄 At least in my experience, IF they didn't have them already.

Ah right makes sense. I was debating going back to TN but after going to my 1080p TN panel again today it looks terrible in comparison

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Personally i have never had a dead pixel. Not in 100€ budget monitors, and not in 800€+ monitors. And i'm not the kind to run every possible test for dead pixels or backlight bleed as soon as a monitor arrives. In any case i would not accept any dead pixel whatsoever and immediately get it replaced. It's not "being picky" imo. It's about getting what you paid for.

I never tested my monitors either until I noticed that I had a pink pixel when scrolling through youtube. Now they stick out so much to me and I checked the new one as soon as it arrived. Glad I did!

48 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

It seems I've been fairly unlucky with dead pixels compared to others here. My MSI Optix monitor and two of my previous non-touch laptop displays had dead pixels, but I've always just lived with them. With my Optix monitor the dead pixel is on the very edge of the display, so it isn't a huge issue, but I was hugely disappointed when I first noticed it. Saying that, if I had noticed the dead pixels within a day or two of receiving the product, I'd have returned it and demanded a replacement. Dead pixels should not be at all acceptable, quality control needs to be stepped up a lot at certain brands, but it just seems that a lot of people either don't notice at first or don't consider it a huge issue, so they sometimes slip the user by. As others have said, it's definitely not being picky, you paid for the monitor, so don't accept a defective one if you don't have to.

I'm getting them returned but they said that the refund being processed is subject to them deciding after testing so not sure how likely it is im getting my money back. At least one of them is still in the return window I suppose

49 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Unfortunately dead pixels are not uncommon.

Manufacturers and retailers also generally have limits on what is considered a defect. (dumb i know)

It usually depends on where and how many dead pixels there are.

Dead pixels in the center portion of the screen for example are usually considered bad enough to warrant replacement, while dead pixel along the edges of the screen are considered acceptable and not eligible for replacement, unless there are many of them in one area.

Would i accept it...1 or 2 around the edges i'd be ok with, especially with higher density displays where they are less noticeable.

However more than that and i would push for a replacement. And certainly if the Display cost over £500, i wouldnt accept any at all.

Best course of action if ur worried about their warranty definitions for replacement, is to not make any mention of 'dead pixels' ...just act 'dumb' and say your screen has 'marks' on it under the surface, almost like dust or bugs. That should be enough to get it replaced.

The site I bought from does their own testing so they said the refund will depend on that. I'm definitely not accepting the second one back because the dead pixel on the search bar is far too noticeable it will annoy the life out of me lol

43 minutes ago, xdXot1c said:

so, my monitor recommendation is an aoc 165hz 1080p monitor, perfect monitor in my opinion, ive been using their monitors for a year now, and not one came with a single dead pixel.            https://www.amazon.com/AOC-C24G1A-Frameless-1920x1080-adjustable/dp/B08D3Y5PFZ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=aoc+165hz+monitor&qid=1618325962&s=electronics&sr=1-2

I will look into it thanks. Only issue is now that I've tried 1440p anything lower looks terrible xD. Im sure in time I'll get used to it though

2 minutes ago, Peter Boyle said:

I'm getting them returned but they said that the refund being processed is subject to them deciding after testing so not sure how likely it is im getting my money back. At least one of them is still in the return window I suppose

Fingers crossed that they'll be reasonable and grant the refund then. At least you've acted quickly on it, that's the most you can do, and hopefully they'll get back to you soon

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

43 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

Fingers crossed that they'll be reasonable and grant the refund then. At least you've acted quickly on it, that's the most you can do, and hopefully they'll get back to you soon

They're picking up the monitors on the 15th so hopefully theyre fast with the process after that