What is a logical amount to spend on a pc?

PogDogs

What do you guys think is a good amount to spend on a computer now adays for gaming?

Honestly, it really depends on what its use is for. For gaming, in a normal world, between $800-$1000 makes sense for a good 1080p system and scales up to $2000-$2500 for a good 4k gaming rig. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Really depends what you expect the PC to be capable of, however right now the price of gaming PCs is firmly dictated by the supply and cost of graphics cards.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Depends, if you need peripherals $1300 should get you started with a decent set. If not you can get a decent system for $1000-$900. That ofcourse would mean getting a GPU at reasonable price range.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

depends how much income you have. it's a bad idea to get into a bad financial situation because of a gaming PC.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, PogDogs said:

What do you guys think is a good amount to spend on a computer now adays for gaming?

Depends on what it'll be used for, where you live and how much you can afford to spend without it impacting your ability to pay bills, buy food and all other expenses involved in your life, while also leaving you with some extra in case of emergencies.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I would say $1000-1500 for your average does pretty much everything well enough gaming PC. Lower is budget territory, where you're making sacrifices to cut costs, and higher is enthusiast territory, where you want all the bling and all the FPS and don't mind paying for it.

That's obviously given not scalped prices. Everything out the window once you factor that in.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Short answer, it depends.

It depends on;

• How much you're prepared to spend
  • How much you are able to spend
  • Where you live
  • What you want the PC to be able to do
  • How soon you want the PC
  • Whether you need a new display, mouse and keyboard or not
  • Situations within the computing industry, like high demand for parts
  • How long you want the PC to last for

For a reasonable rig (disregarding the price hikes at the moment), I'd recommend a Ryzen 5 or Core i5, 16GB RAM (two sticks at 3200 or 3600MHz), an RTX 2060 or 3060ti, 500GB SSD and 2TB HDD, or 1TB SSD. To go alongside those, I'd suggest a 1080p or 1440p 144Hz monitor, and whatever mouse or keyboard takes your fancy.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

Depends on what you use it for. Professionals who uses it for work would spend a lot of money for their PCs, because the high upfront cost is relatively small compared to the money they make for doing their job faster.

It also depends on your situation. You shouldn't go into debt or mortgage your house just for a PC.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

as less as possible,

built mine out of comonents i got off ebay for a combinend value of 280€  rx 580, i5-7400, asus pro gaming v5, 32gb ddr4, 256gb nvme ssd and 4tb seagate hdd, corsair 650w

Until the job is done 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

4 hours ago, PogDogs said:

Never spend more than 50% of the budget on any one part unless you want it forever.

eg the CPU, RAM , MB, and GPU collectively should be about 80% of your budget, with the PSU, Chassis, and NVME M2 drive being in the other 20%.

Like you can easily spend $3000 right now, and not end up with a GPU at all. The CPU, MB and RAM all being around $600 each.

It depends. If you've saved $10k over the last 10 years solely for the purpose of a new rig, then go at it, you earned it. If you just won 10k from a scratch off, it might be worth investing some of that money elsewhere.

As others stated, there's a ton of other variables that come into play as to if you're getting your money's worth/value for any given part at the time of purchase.

A 800 dollar pc might be reasonable to some, whereas a 4000 dollar pc might be reasonable to another. Just because something is reasonable to someone else does not mean it should be reasonable to you.

27 minutes ago, NinJake said:

It depends. If you've saved $10k over the last 10 years solely for the purpose of a new rig, then go at it, you earned it. If you just won 10k from a scratch off, it might be worth investing some of that money elsewhere.

As others stated, there's a ton of other variables that come into play as to if you're getting your money's worth/value for any given part at the time of purchase.

A 800 dollar pc might be reasonable to some, whereas a 4000 dollar pc might be reasonable to another. Just because something is reasonable to someone else does not mean it should be reasonable to you.

wise words

Depends. Are you sure about it or not. If not, then its not worth spending as much. Also if you are sure about spending to PC, you can spend less on some parts since partial upgrading is cheaper than doing whole thing at once. Also depends on what you are planning to do with it. Not just "gaming, streaming, editing" type of things, but if gaming, do you game because of looks or because of content. And so on.

Before current situation I did make a list of parts as if I would have to do full new build. It was around €1500. Thats about double what I paid for my PC in 2008.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I think the answer to every "how much should I spend ?" question starts with "how much do you earn ?"  Like, even a 400$ PC can be too expensive if it means eating raw rice for a month. 

But on a more serious note, if the GPU market wasn't broken I'd say 800$ for a basic "I'm gaming at 1080p" setup, up to around 1400$ for a "1440p is the best resolution and I like pushing details in games". But hey, market is like the ice cream machine at McDonald right now so I who know what's a fair price anymore.

I'll also add that if you're on a budget right now, don't forget to factor in the screen and peripherals. A cheap computer can be upgraded simply by adding a GPU and some RAM, but a cheap screen will have to be replaced entirely. 

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

Because I'm on a disability income I have adopted a new way to afford a PC as I simple can not buy a pre built system or all the parts at once and then put it all together. What I do now is to spend a set amount per month. Which is if it helps, 200ukp.

That money can buy 1 part like a bit or ram this month, a cooler next month and if the part cost x2 or x3 then I leave that 200 in the bank until the next month and then buy the part I need.

It will take months to build a PC, but there is no price limit to the finished build and you can make it a PC which will run the software you need it to at max settings. Another bonus is while you spend months putting it together Graphic cards might actually find their way into shops? I'm going to use my current GFx card and SSDs as they are still up to running current games and the mobo features allow them to run even faster than the old mobo.

In a normal world, like until late 2020, around 1000$ gaming configuration with delle choosen componets was the bang for the buck sweetspot, until 2000 you get good improvements, above 2000 not so.

But with 600$ back then you could get the most FPS/$ with config like ryzen 3600 + GTX 1660 super.

Now with todays GPU prices is a whole different story

Thats a very person specific question. It really depends on what you use it for and how much you can afford. If you are a millionaire and want the maximum performance at any cost you could spend £4-5k. ($5-$6.5k) IF you are a normal person who wants a mix of surfing, excel, word and gaming at 1080p £1000 ($1300) would normally be a reasonable amount (that without the GPU market chaos).  I would suggest a good mid range PC would be a little above that at circa £1300 ($1700) which would get you a machine that should allow 1440p in most games, all the usual surf/excel stuff plus light video editing and transcoding.

On 4/13/2021 at 12:42 PM, Skiiwee29 said:

For gaming, in a normal world, between $800-$1000

This would be my answer in normal times,  but seeing as I just bought a "midrange" (technically "low end" as it was the weakest of the bunch back then) gpu for 700 bucks few months ago that doesn't hold quite true anymore, and the same card cost now 1200 or something alone...

So yeah, it depends on many factors,  but gpu prices mostly currently. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 4/13/2021 at 7:01 AM, Fatih19 said:

You shouldn't go into debt or mortgage your house just for a PC.

Thought of this: