Apple Spring Loaded Event (April 20th, 2021) - Leaked by Siri, confirmed by Apple

NotTheFirstDaniel

I'm hoping for iMacs... not that I can really justify one, since I bought one last year.

A fresh design and Apple Silicon could be just what's needed to spark iMac sales. Not that I'm expecting iMac G3-era excitement when laptops are clearly the stars these days, but a new iMac could be popular picks for people working from home. Especially if Apple cuts prices and offers more value at the low end, like it did with the MacBook Air.

My question is whether Apple sticks to the low end or replaces everything, and if it goes with everything, does it make RAM expansion available on at least some systems? My pet theory is that Apple doesn't want to upgrade much of the lineup until it has a solution for expandable RAM, but it might replace the smaller iMacs if it thinks buyers will be happy with on-chip memory.

4 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I feel next year will be the time Apple will release ARMv9 AS chips for HPC applications like in data science, something they can finally compete where Intel and AMD dominated. Not sure how would an iPhone would benefit from SVE but all AS chips will be v9 next year

Yes and no. I'm maybe making a cockeyed assumption here about what you meant, but whilst i can see apple releasing somthing workstation level, i doubt they're looking to get into the server market. Server space just isn't somthing that fits into Apples ethos. They're all about easy to use point and click consumer facing stuff, it's why they're so popular there. But it also means they have some fundamental approach style differences that just won't fly in various corporate environments.

5 hours ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

Well I mean, this is not the first time Siri leaked a press event before Apple. We don't know what happened to them.

Actually maybe Siri is developing a mind of her own...

Or Apple is trying anything they can to get people to interact with Siri 😛

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

When was the event supposed to be announced? Its not like knowing it now makes much of a difference as the event is in less than 10 days anyways. Part of me even wonders if this was 100% intentional. 

So apparently the leak and the full announcement are the same thing so i guess i will just go here. The Event is has been announced and is call "Spring Loaded". Sounds cool and i cant wait for the keynote!

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/13/apple-event-april-23-announcement/

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qm9Mwc

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

Other projects I am working on 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

When was the event supposed to be announced? Its not like knowing it now makes much of a difference as the event is in less than 10 days anyways. Part of me even wonders if this was 100% intentional. 

Digital Apple events are announced usually 7 days prior to the event, except for WWDC which is announced months before because it's a much larger event.

The only time this hasn't been the case was the Apple "One More Thing" event due to the US General Election being held on the day they were supposed to send out invites. So they sent it on a Monday.

Its likely some fired (or punished) engineer put in a wrong time zone when updating Siri's side of the event announcement. Funnily enough if Siri wasn't so garbage, this would never have happened since Siri would've been able to scrounge the web herself for the announcement and display it as soon as it updated on the Apple website. It's only because Siri is trash that they had to manually put it in.

14 hours ago, CarlBar said:

Yes and no. I'm maybe making a cockeyed assumption here about what you meant, but whilst i can see apple releasing somthing workstation level, i doubt they're looking to get into the server market. Server space just isn't somthing that fits into Apples ethos.

Before moving to intel chips apple was very happy int her server space, and unlike consumer spaces most servers are sold as single units. Most people just buy a server from Supper Micro or HP and never open it, if they do open it is is an onsite engineer sent out by one of these vendors. Appel have a partnership with IBM for this type of onsite support (not for consumers but if your a large company apple send them out) these same people do server work all around the the world. In many ways apple is more ready for the server market than the mid level consumer market.

They stoped doing servers when they moved to intel since they noticed the margins were very low due to most of the money going to intel for the cpu and the chipset. Not the case with their own chips, they might well use the server market as a place to sell of mac chips that did not bin well enough to meat the frequency they wanted on the consumer side. Note apple is not selling any M1 cpus will lower clock speeds.

14 hours ago, Commodus said:

Especially if Apple cuts prices and offers more value at the low end

My question is whether Apple sticks to the low end or replaces everything, and if it goes with everything, does it make RAM expansion available on at least some systems? My pet theory is that Apple doesn't want to upgrade much of the lineup until it has a solution for expandable RAM, but it might replace the smaller iMacs if it thinks buyers will be happy with on-chip memory.

So by updating the iMac they will be effectively cutting prices, the entry level iMac 24" that you should not even thing about buying starts a just $1100, if that is updated even with just an M1 chip it will be a effectively a massive price cut since many people would have before been getting a $2000 model. 

I think there will be ram expandably but only the top end, and it will really be ram extension. There will still be high bandwidth memory on the SoC package (you just can't do the bandwidth/latency apple will need for a large GPU using DDR dims).

But the `pro` lines will have the option to add memory (maybe not through DDR but something else proprietary...) that effectively turns the on package memory into a L4 cache. The lower end ones will not get this as it will increase the cost of making them a lot and a very small number of users will ever use it.

16 hours ago, hishnash said:

They stoped doing servers when they moved to intel since they noticed the margins were very low due to most of the money going to intel for the cpu and the chipset.

There were Intel Xeon Xserve's, 3 generations/years of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xserve#Intel_Xserve

They stopped when they gave up on enterprise OS management tools and moved to complete mobile OS management framework (yes Mac OS is managed as if it were a mobile device).

I want to see Apple put RGB in the Mac Pro.

Seeing the Mac World implode would be amazing. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

If they release an iMac and in turn a higher speced Mac Mini with the same chip that is rumored for the iMac my bank account will probably kill itself. 

EDIT:// And I really don't need a Mac Mini better than the M1 I got now, it just that I haven't felt this excitement with computer hardware as with the AS chips in probably 20 years. 

If they come out with the large iMac, or better yet a more powerful mini and consumer external display, I will buy immediately. 

... otherwise, the only thing that kinda interests me is the Air Tags. I'd buy 5-- one for the dog and one for each car. Budget (subscription free) low jack 😛