Can 2 nearly identical ssd drives be setup in raid 0

Hi guys 

I have 1 Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB and 1 Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB - Can a mix of 850 EVO and 840 EVO be used in RAID 0 ?

It will be a games drive, I have a M.2 SSD as boot drive (Windows 10 Home - 64bit)

In my mind I'm thinking why should it not be possible as the 2 drives are nearly identical, but then again ....

Hope some kind soul can lead me on the right path

It worked for me. I had an ADATA XPG GAMMIX S5 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive mix with a HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive. Two extremely different NVME drives.

Hope this helps.

1 minute ago, AIO H110I cool Dude said:

Could you shortly explain how it's done in windows 10 ?

Open control panel, go to storage spaces, create a pool with 2 drives. Then id use powershell to make a virtual disk with the 2 drives, and set number of columns to 2.

Thanks so much for the help.

last 2 fast questions

Why use storage spaces in windows, and not bios raid?

I found this guide, on how to set up 2 drives in raid 0 from windows disk manager, seams like an easy way, to do what I intended with the 2 SSD drives,

create 1 volume with all the space of the 2 SSD drives, and get the raid 0 read/write speed (Again it will be a game drive, if by some magic I play a game with local save files I will backup via Onedrive)

Link to guide 4 minutes long - worth a watch and a like I think

Thanks Electronics Wizardy for your kind help, this is why I love this community, people really care and will help if they can

• 2 weeks later...

@whispousThe speed .... The need for speed 🙂 

Well two things matter, I get 2 500GB SSD to "become" 1 1000GB SSD, and have the 2xread/write speed. Who can turn that down?!

And as it is a games drive, everything can be replaced, just takes the time to download, but I do not calculate with an error, in all my

time as a PC geek I never lost data from any HD, however I still backup everything I can't reacquire, both backup onsite and to the cloud.  

8 hours ago, AIO H110I cool Dude said:

@whispousThe speed .... The need for speed 🙂 

Well two things matter, I get 2 500GB SSD to "become" 1 1000GB SSD, and have the 2xread/write speed. Who can turn that down?!

And as it is a games drive, everything can be replaced, just takes the time to download, but I do not calculate with an error, in all my

time as a PC geek I never lost data from any HD, however I still backup everything I can't reacquire, both backup onsite and to the cloud.  

You're unlikely to see much noticable speed benefit from doing this, but you do you!

Don't forget that RAID0 Means you're now exposing yourself to double the risk of drive failure, which especially with striped data means total loss.