Everyone’s a winner in the PC market but Dell

Jet_ski

Summary

IDC has announced their quarterly report on the PC market [yes Macs are personal computers too] and it seems like every major brand but Dell has grown their market share since Q1 last year. The most notable is Apple’s 111.5% growth. While every brand including Dell saw overall growth, Dell saw their market share decline from 19.4% in Q1 2020 to 15.4% in Q1 2021.

1831331035_ScreenShot2021-04-12at1_49_55PM.thumb.png.59d35ff1fbc550502ec8b4715416965c.png

Quotes

Global shipments of traditional PCs, including desktops, notebooks, and workstations, grew 55.2% year over year during the first quarter of 2021 (1Q21).

My thoughts

Based on personal experience, I would have guessed Dell and HP do worse than other brands. I don't think their products make sense from a price+performance+service sense.

Sources

https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS47601721

2 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

Summary

IDC has announced their quarterly report on the PC market [yes Macs are personal computers too] and it seems like every major brand but Dell has grown their market share since Q1 last year. The most notable is Apple’s 111.5% growth. While every brand including Dell saw overall growth, Dell saw their market share decline from 19.4% in Q1 2020 to 15.4% in Q1 2021.

1831331035_ScreenShot2021-04-12at1_49_55PM.thumb.png.59d35ff1fbc550502ec8b4715416965c.png

Quotes

My thoughts

Based on personal experience, I would have guessed Dell and HP do worse than other brands. I don't think their products make sense from a price+performance+service sense.

Sources

I'm assuming this table includes desktops and laptops but omits all types of servers.

My guess is that this can mostly be thrown at nVidia and AMD's feet for not producing enough GPU's, as if you've looked at what was available for the entire Q1, HP was selling new parts, and Dell still isn't.

Might have been more of a supply/manufacturing issue than a sales issue. Or maybe a methodology issue that captured Dell's numbers differently? Seems a little strange, especially as Dell has been normally out of stock on almost everything for months.

32 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

Summary

Quotes

My thoughts

Sources

Where's ASUS? 

Sorry in advanced but I gotta do it...

double_facepalm.png.eba89e0bbe2d92fc1246bce041720122.png

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Dell is a logistics company when it comes to products. Just as with JIT (Just In Time) delivery, they don't want to warehouse anything if possible. They want the product to go from distributor to consumer. So with parts in short supply and the supply-chain all jacked up, I'm not surprised in the slightest that it's hurting Dell.

1 hour ago, Jet_ski said:

it seems like every major brand but Dell has grown their market share since Q1 last year.

By definition, you can't grow market share without taking someone else's share. It seems in this case, Dell was the loser in share, even if they still managed to grow overall. Just everyone else managed to grow faster.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 4/12/2021 at 8:30 PM, ABADDON Aamir said:

Where's ASUS? 

In "Other".

Asus might be big when it comes to gaming laptops, but that is a smaller part of the market as a hole.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

From a business perspective.

If I'm shopping for an Enterprise laptop right now, I'm looking for AMD CPU's. Better thermals and Performance for the price, I'm missing some the of the Intel Features, but its worth it.

Dell has a very limited selection of business grade laptops that have AMD chips inside them. But I can get Thinkpad X, T or E model Lenovo's or HP Probooks with Ryzen CPU's no problem. (Supply issue aside)

On the Server side, Dell has a decent selection of servers that support EPYC.

Why should I pay $1600+ for an XPS13 when I can get a better X1 for $1400, starting model(No Feature parity)

What are you talking about ? Dell is just a natural at this. Didn't you see secret shopper I or II ? they were so good at trying to sell financing services

On 4/13/2021 at 5:57 AM, Jet_ski said:

I don't think their products make sense from a price+performance+service sense.

HP Elite series desktops and laptops are excellent and as far as service and support goes none are a patch on HP and I've had to interact with them all (HP class companies that is). Of course this is all business support comments but HP really is a cut above the rest.

Lenovo loses your laptop for months, then send a new one because they have no bloody idea where it went. Multiple, multiple times this happened. This would never happen with HP as all repairs can and are done on site, or complete replacement with data/storage migration.

HP and Dell are cancer anyway. We had many HP laptops and all of them were malfunctioning and display inverter had to be replaced for many times.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

HP and Dell are cancer anyway. We had many HP laptops and all of them were malfunctioning and display inverter had to be replaced for many times.

Dell Latitude, Precision, OptiPlex, and PowerEdge servers are rock-solid reliable.

The only problem nowadays is the higher than normal SSD failure rates because of the low quality OEM drives used.

2 hours ago, StDragon said:

Dell Latitude, Precision, OptiPlex, and PowerEdge servers are rock-solid reliable.

The only problem nowadays is the higher than normal SSD failure rates because of the low quality OEM drives used.

Nah, battery problems are rampant with latitudes and precision laptops. I haven't hit a single problem with SSD's yet.

Honestly, Dell's support is pretty good as long as it's a warranty repair. It's absolute hell if you want to repair something out of warranty however, even if you're willing to pay for it, you end up playing phone tag with people who won't call you back.

Most warranty repairs have been 1-4 days. Out-of-warranty repairs? 2+ weeks, of which most of that was waiting for someone to actually generate something that can be paid.

5 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Most warranty repairs have been 1-4 days. Out-of-warranty repairs? 2+ weeks, of which most of that was waiting for someone to actually generate something that can be paid.

ProSupport is basically talking to someone in Texas. If you get Basic, they farm those calls out to India.

You can get 4 hour on-site mission critical for servers if needed. It all depends on how much you're willing to spend for warranty.

HP DELL, land E-waste.

some of their stuff is cool, but man, really wouldn't want them.

Although I heard some of the monitors from HP has been pretty good?

Isnt market share fractional?  For one company’s market share to grow another’s has to reduce.  Even if the size of the market grows.  For every other company to increase share, Dell would have had to have a gigantic share of the market to start.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

HP DELL, land E-waste.

some of their stuff is cool, but man, really wouldn't want them.

Although I heard some of the monitors from HP has been pretty good?

Their desktops tended to produce future problems for people upgrading them. You basically can’t upgrade a laptop though so theirs should be as good as anyone else’s

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 4/16/2021 at 11:15 AM, leadeater said:

HP Elite series desktops and laptops are excellent and as far as service and support goes none are a patch on HP and I've had to interact with them all (HP class companies that is). Of course this is all business support comments but HP really is a cut above the rest.

Lenovo loses your laptop for months, then send a new one because they have no bloody idea where it went. Multiple, multiple times this happened. This would never happen with HP as all repairs can and are done on site, or complete replacement with data/storage migration.

And both companies have excellent online documentation and self support available. I can look up disassembly directions for a PC that's 25 years old if I need to and still get drivers for them too.

On 4/13/2021 at 12:28 AM, StDragon said:

Dell is a logistics company when it comes to products. Just as with JIT (Just In Time) delivery, they don't want to warehouse anything if possible. They want the product to go from distributor to consumer. So with parts in short supply and the supply-chain all jacked up, I'm not surprised in the slightest that it's hurting Dell.

That model was adopted by nearly everyone. In fact, Tim Cook was hired to put in place a dell like logistics system in place at apple.

On 4/13/2021 at 2:04 AM, Mihle said:

In "Other".

Asus might be big when it comes to gaming laptops, but that is a smaller part of the market as a hole.

I thought that asus should have a share. I see a lot of asus laptops

On 4/17/2021 at 12:50 AM, StDragon said:

ProSupport is basically talking to someone in Texas. If you get Basic, they farm those calls out to India.

You can get 4 hour on-site mission critical for servers if needed. It all depends on how much you're willing to spend for warranty.

lmao. As an Indian, I guess I should take basic then. Will understand my Indian comrade on basic support XD

24 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

I thought that asus should have a share. I see a lot of asus laptops

If you walk in to any office building or similar (well, bit right now when people WFH, but usually), you will almost always see either Dell, HP or Lenovo. And PCs for offices is a huge market.

At least here, don't know about in Asia or whatever.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 4/13/2021 at 1:57 AM, Jet_ski said:

The most notable is Apple’s 111.5% growth

Apple definitely did right by switching away from Intel considering that the M1 is a 1st gen chip and will be the slowest Apple Silicon for Macs.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside