What is the Difference between poster supply’s

JonJonBinkz
Go to solution Solved by minibois,
3 minutes ago, JonJonBinkz said:

I am looking for a 750 w power supply, and I’ve heard that a fully modular one is the way to go but, I was looking into some and I see there are different types. Could someone tell me the difference between a fully modular, semi-modular etc. And which one you would recommend.

A PSU uses wires to connect to the components in the PC.

When all cables are hard-wires to the PSU and cannot be detached, that PSU is not modular.

When those cables can be plugged in or detached from the PSU, that PSU is (fully) modular. The 'modular' part comes from the idea that you can choose what cables you do or not want/need in your PC.

A semi-modular PSU typically has the 24 pin ATX and 8 pin EPS connector hard-wired and the other wires detachable. These first two mentioned cables are needed in practically all PC's, so no use in having those detachable.

Modularity of a PSU is just one single thing to judge a PSU on. The main advantages to having a semi- or fully modular PSU is being able to leave out the cables you don't need. Don't have 6 SATA drives? Just leave out the SATA cables, so there is less cables to manage.

Another advantage would be easier swapping of cables, for some nice braided cables.

Do keep in mind, modular cables are not standard. Cables from one brand will likely not work on another brand's PSU. Not even within one brand, will you have all standard cables.

If you want recommendations on what PSU to get, please list:

- PC specs (at least CPU, GPU and case)

- Modularity preference

- Budget

- Any other preferences (like if silence matters)

I am looking for a 750 w power supply, and I’ve heard that a fully modular one is the way to go but, I was looking into some and I see there are different types. Could someone tell me the difference between a fully modular, semi-modular etc. And which one you would recommend.

FULLY MOD- all cables can be disconnected.

SEMI Mod- 24pin and cpu power cables are nonremovable but everything else IS.

Regular- all cables are attached and do not come off

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Fully Modular = no cables attached permantently to the PSU, you attach and remove cables as needed (all cables for the PSU are provided though)

Semi-Modular = some cables like the 24-pin, 4+4-pin EPS and sometimes a 6+2 GPU connector are connected and other cables can be attached/removed as needed

Non-Modular = All cables are fully fixed to the PSU so you have to find space to stuff all the excess cables in the case.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, JonJonBinkz said:

When all cables are hard-wires to the PSU and cannot be detached, that PSU is not modular.

When those cables can be plugged in or detached from the PSU, that PSU is (fully) modular. The 'modular' part comes from the idea that you can choose what cables you do or not want/need in your PC.

A semi-modular PSU typically has the 24 pin ATX and 8 pin EPS connector hard-wired and the other wires detachable. These first two mentioned cables are needed in practically all PC's, so no use in having those detachable.

Modularity of a PSU is just one single thing to judge a PSU on. The main advantages to having a semi- or fully modular PSU is being able to leave out the cables you don't need. Don't have 6 SATA drives? Just leave out the SATA cables, so there is less cables to manage.

Another advantage would be easier swapping of cables, for some nice braided cables.

Do keep in mind, modular cables are not standard. Cables from one brand will likely not work on another brand's PSU. Not even within one brand, will you have all standard cables.

- Modularity preference

- Budget

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

- Modularity preference

- Budget

I have an i7-9700, and a 2060 and price for the psu no more than 180 CAD, I would prefer a modular one and quiet if possible, thanks.

If you use most or all of the cables, i suggest getting a non mudular.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

41 minutes ago, JonJonBinkz said:

I have an i7-9700, and a 2060 and price for the psu no more than 180 CAD, I would prefer a modular one and quiet if possible, thanks.

The 2060 is not a high power card, so you don't need anywhere near 750W. The TDP is 160W, so expect the system to draw about 250W under a gaming load. The RM550x 2018 and Ion+ 560W are good options. The RMx is slightly cheaper (100 CAD vs 110 CAD), slightly quieter at higher loads, and is easier to get custom cables for, but only has a single PCIe cable with two connectors, and it has in cable capacitors. The Ion+ is very quiet (lower fan start speed, and just barely louder at higher loads), has two PCIe cables with four connectors, does not have in cable capacitors, and has particularly flexible cables. Both of them perform well, are fully modular, and are in stock.

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)