Which Linux distro is the best?

For my pc having specs, i3 6th gen with 4gb of RAM.

I was window user before but it was running very slowly so I decided to switch to Linux, but I was confused which distro is best for me.

Please someone help me to choose the best.

Really any of them should run fine on that system. That 4GB of ram will be your main limiting factor regardless of what you choose.

I personally recommend KDE Neon or PopOS! for new Users.

3 minutes ago, Zulu-Cheese-Alpha-IV said:

None of them in all honesty. They all equally have good points and sucky points.

sucky points ? 😠

Just now, Haraikomono said:

sucky points ? 😠

Awwww critic of a kernal hurts feelings?

Not here for this. Windows has good and sucky points too.

1 minute ago, Zulu-Cheese-Alpha-IV said:

Awwww critic of a kernal hurts feelings?

Not here for this. Windows has good and sucky points too.

😄 yes, youre right

5 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

sucky points ? 😠

Linux is thew worst "OS" of all time

aside from the other OSes, which are even worse  (to paraphrase Winston Churchill)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I vote Linux Mint.

Similar-looking to Windows, with Wine it can run most Windows programs, and it's not too hard to learn your way around.

elephants

4 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I vote Linux Mint.

+1 since the OP clearly is just starting to use Linux, he will feel most at home with Mint.

Oh I almost forgot, "btw I use Arch" 😜

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

Mint was awesome in my usage, just Steam would never install regardless.

My review from the Mint forums.

I wish to preface this that I have used Ubuntu before on and off and had the same or other problems.

So my aim for Linux was to use it to increase security, load Windows 10 in a VM with HyperV and play video games that way.
Little to no tutorials and no help with it, so found it overly complex, that failed as a plan.

So I went to install Steam from the software store. That failed to run after installation also after running the dependency checks too and fulfilling those. would show up as "Steam is updating" then after roughly 1-2 seconds would vanish and never see Steam again.

I went directly to the Steam site and got the .Deb package, same issues.
I ran it through terminal using SUDO apt, same problem again.

After spending roughly 9 hours trying to fix these issues, I gave up and went and installed Windows 10 again and felt smug and full of myself and happy again to be on an OS that works and is functional.

Now on the bright side, Mint is a great OS if you are only using it for office / multimedia purposes, I have no insight into the gaming side as it never worked for me.

Snappy, great customization, drivers were there and using my Nvidia card and installing the driver was an absolute cake walk, much easier than any previous Ubuntu experience I have had.

I love the OS, hate the way things work in it, want to use it, but can;t muster the time and energy, I have other priorities in life than sitting for hours troubleshooting 1 issue.

But I think Mint is a brilliant OS overall.

+1 for Mint. If possible, see if you can upgrade your RAM. It helps. A lot 😉

(no, I don't run Arch 😛 )

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Linux is thew worst "OS" of all time

aside from the other OSes, which are even worse  (to paraphrase Winston Churchill)

linux is the heartblood of all that exists in Technology

1 minute ago, Haraikomono said:

linux is the heartblood of all that exists in Technology

Unless it runs Unix or Windows.

Let's consider the usability here, people are not using these things as computers mostly, which is where Linux falls apart for most users.

But other than that, yes you are right.

Let's not make this a fight, let's make this a valid point thread to support the OP with real critique.

As you are a Reddit user.

Here is better as there is far less of a hive mind.

Has any of this fundamentally changed?

Ubuntu or POP OS are good starting points. Lots of documentation for ubuntu and related distros around since they're quite popular.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

14 minutes ago, Zulu-Cheese-Alpha-IV said:

Let's not make this a fight, let's make this a valid point thread to support the OP with real critique.

As you are a Reddit user.

Here is better as there is far less of a hive mind.

Has any of this fundamentally changed?

I wont go much deeper into this since this isnt the thread for it, but the free software part really hits me right in my heart...

2 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

I wont go much deeper into this since this isnt the thread for it, but the free software part really hits me right in my heart...

Fair play, for me it is practicality and time.

Fir someone's who's just getting into linux, id say ubuntu. It has a good gui, which makes  it easy for a beginner to learn... Or, you could go big and buy windows 12 lite(jk). That things a scam. DO NOT USE WINDOWS 12 LITE 

2 hours ago, Zulu-Cheese-Alpha-IV said:

None of them in all honesty. They all equally have good points and sucky points.

well you can make a recommendation for that hardware. since OP has low ram, a distro that's light on ram would be best here, like Xubuntu.

She/Her

2 hours ago, itsme_dark said:

I was window user before but it was running very slowly so I decided to switch to Linux, but I was confused which distro is best for me.

Manjaro KDE is my personal favorite. 

But do check if your HDD is dying before you jump to Linux or else you'll run into same performance problem.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

3 hours ago, itsme_dark said:

I am in a similar situation to you and it really depends how much time you need our you want to spend on making your os run better or have the features you want.

Something i would advise you NOT to do is to run a distro that doesn't have the firmware your laptop. Wi-fi drivers dont work that often on more open distros like Debian and OpenSUSE.

For Debian there's a "Non-free" version which doesn't mean you gotta pay a fee but it means that it has non-open/proprietary drivers (basically it includes drivers for wi-fi or network that doesn't work in standard debian).

As a newcomer to linux, i advise you to use Pop!_OS or Ubuntu. They include a lot of things and you don't have to waste your time finding the exact driver you need for wifi, etc.

If you feel a bit more adventurous then go with a different (but still popular) distro like Fedora or Manjaro.

As for performance i would recommend Lubuntu or Manjaro XFCE. or anything thats not based on GNOME (bc it takes a lot of resources from my experience)

For those specs, you cant go wrong with Lubuntu. It's ugly but it's lightweight and requires minimal setup (for a Linux distro).

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.