Why is the Ryzen 5 5600X so expensive

I can’t be the only that has seen the constant rise in price for the 5600x from $300 to near $450 now. This is concerning me because I wanna upgrade my CPU in a few months but I fear that the 5800x will also began to rise in price which means I won’t be able to. I can’t buy rn because I’m still saving. Does anyone know more specifically why other than just the overall shortages because they were fine in the past and recently they just began to jump

BTW my main source for this rise is Amazon but I think it has also happened on Newegg

What's your region?

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Just now, ScriptKiddo said:

Because it’s the best mid range cpu around right now.

Wouldn’t that mean that soon it will begin to happen to the 5800x. 

Just now, Fatih19 said:

What's your region?

North America, East coast of the USA

Is it just one store that is happening to, or all stores?

If just one, it could be their supplier may have hiked the price.

If all stores, it could be they share the same supplier, or they just thought "well people will buy it anyways".

I don't see a general price hike on the price history on the US version of PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/g94BD3/amd-ryzen-5-5600x-37-ghz-6-core-processor-100-100000065box?history_days=180

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Supply and demand.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, MaxTGG said:

BTW my main source for this rise is Amazon but I think it has also happened on Newegg

Amazon and Newegg are 1st and 3rd party sellers. Most of what is listed on there isnt actually Amazon's property or something Amazon is selling. Its a 3rd party vendor selling it on Amazon similar to how you could sell on Ebay. So chances are these are the price fluctuations you're seeing. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, minibois said:

Is it just one store that is happening to, or all stores?

If just one, it could be their supplier may have hiked the price.

If all stores, it could be they share the same supplier, or they just thought "well people will buy it anyways".

I don't see a general price hike on the price history on the US version of PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/g94BD3/amd-ryzen-5-5600x-37-ghz-6-core-processor-100-100000065box?history_days=180

I have seen it mainly on Amazon but I think it may have happened also on Newegg, I just haven’t checked those prices too often to verify

1 minute ago, MaxTGG said:

I only see an increased price, if I look at Amazon's third party sellers. Probably the same case on Newegg.

It looks like Amazon 3rd party has always been ridicilous in pricing for this product: https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B08166SLDF?context=search

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The problem is that the 5600X continues to be out of stock at most retailers. The price is from third parties trying to make a profit. It's kind of weird that this is happening, though, because the 5800X is pretty regularly in stock, and available for $450. That sets an upward limit on how much you can reasonably scalp the 5600X for. The 5800X will remain where it's at as long as stock continues, so I can only surmise that these scalpers are hoping potential buyers are just searching for 5600Xs and too stupid to realize that they can get a better chip for what the scalper is charging.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

19 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

The problem is that the 5600X continues to be out of stock at most retailers. The price is from third parties trying to make a profit. It's kind of weird that this is happening, though, because the 5800X is pretty regularly in stock, and available for $450. That sets an upward limit on how much you can reasonably scalp the 5600X for. The 5800X will remain where it's at as long as stock continues, so I can only surmise that these scalpers are hoping potential buyers are just searching for 5600Xs and too stupid to realize that they can get a better chip for what the scalper is charging.

There probably weren't enough defective 5800X to be turned to 5600X lmao.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

22 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

There probably weren't enough defective 5800X to be turned to 5600X lmao.

Yeah, that's the problem in general. 7nm has been refined nearly to the point of perfection now. Typically market segmentation will drive manufacturers to cut down for lower end SKUs, but when demand is high across the board, they're going to sell the most expensive SKU they can reliably create. That seems to be the 5800X.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

I got mine for retail. 5800X was on sale a few days ago $50 off.. I almost bought one lol.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

2 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

Ok, this makes me feel a little more secure. I was getting worried that if I didn’t but it today the price would begin to jump up rapidly