Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Intel Power limts and asrock bfb

Hi I have a 10700f with a Asrock b460 and I heard you could get more performance or something by disabling its power limit or enable bfb but I'm wondering if its worth doing so and how to do it if it is worth thanks!

its almost the same thing as just overclocking your cpu. you will get more performance, but your power usage will go WAY up as will temperatures and fan noise. its up to you. 

on intel systems when you first start doing something it will spike up and the cpu will use like 150W or something, then after 52 seconds i think it comes back down to the rated 95W or whatever it is and stays there until you stop doing that intensive workload. removing power limits will essentially mean that you will be running 150W at all times when you start doing something. 

if you want more info, GamersNexus did a really good video on this stuff. 

@MrColour The 10700F has a 65W TDP rating.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199318/intel-core-i7-10700f-processor-16m-cache-up-to-4-80-ghz.html

At default settings, the BIOS will typically set your long term turbo power limit to 65W. The CPU will be forced to slow down at full load so it does not exceed 65W. Depending on what app you are running, your CPU might slow down 500 MHz to 1000 MHz. 

For maximum performance, if your cooling is good, go into the BIOS and increase the PL1 and PL2 long and short term turbo power limits. Different manufacturers name these differently. The turbo power limits are not too hard to find in the BIOS of most motherboards.

3 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@MrColour The 10700F has a 65W TDP rating.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199318/intel-core-i7-10700f-processor-16m-cache-up-to-4-80-ghz.html

At default settings, the BIOS will typically set your long term turbo power limit to 65W. The CPU will be forced to slow down at full load so it does not exceed 65W. Depending on what app you are running, your CPU might slow down 500 MHz to 1000 MHz. 

For maximum performance, if your cooling is good, go into the BIOS and increase the PL1 and PL2 long and short term turbo power limits. Different manufacturers name these differently. The turbo power limits are not too hard to find in the BIOS of most motherboards.

39 minutes ago, The_Vaccine said:

its almost the same thing as just overclocking your cpu. you will get more performance, but your power usage will go WAY up as will temperatures and fan noise. its up to you. 

on intel systems when you first start doing something it will spike up and the cpu will use like 150W or something, then after 52 seconds i think it comes back down to the rated 95W or whatever it is and stays there until you stop doing that intensive workload. removing power limits will essentially mean that you will be running 150W at all times when you start doing something. 

if you want more info, GamersNexus did a really good video on this stuff. 

hmmm since I plan to use the stock cooler I probably shouldn't mess with it to avoid high temps