Where to download linux distro

Go to solution Solved by si1enze,

What distribution or version of Linux are you after ? They all have their own websites.

What distribution or version of Linux are you after ? They all have their own websites.

5800X3D -30 CO | 7900 XT | 2x32Gb Vengeance @ 3600 | MSI X470 | Sabrent Rocket 512 | 2x1Tb Vulcan T-Force | Seasonic Focus GX-750 Gold

Dell S3220DGF - curved 32" 1440p 165Hz

2 minutes ago, si1enze said:

All of them I have a toshiba satellite a135 s4527 with pentium dual core 32 bit running windows vista home

Those are all free and all will work with 1Gb of ram..

5800X3D -30 CO | 7900 XT | 2x32Gb Vengeance @ 3600 | MSI X470 | Sabrent Rocket 512 | 2x1Tb Vulcan T-Force | Seasonic Focus GX-750 Gold

2 minutes ago, si1enze said:

Also the only

Just now, si1enze said:

Those are all free and all will work with 1Gb of ram..

Linux mint needs four gb ram ubuntu does also the only distro I have found so far that will run is tiny core but I plan on doing retro gaming

Just now, Surestgarlic2 said:

Also the only

Linux mint needs four gb ram ubuntu does also the only distro I have found so far that will run is tiny core but I plan on doing retro gaming

You might want to put more detail into your OP. Stating you need a distro and then telling us you need X, Y and Z after the fact isn't too helpful

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

If you want a windows-like experience with Linux, yeah.  You're probably asking too much of that system to be honest.

12 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

All of them I have a toshiba satellite a135 s4527with pentium dual core 32 bit running windows vista home and I need some linux distro for it 

Lack of x86-64 limits your choices a lot.

If you're not familiar with Linux, I'd recommend Debian as your foray into it.

https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

Pick the i386 version. This version has a smaller download and will require internet connection to install.

Edit: Full install here: https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/#stable

Again, pick i386 DVD.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

You might want to put more detail into your OP. Stating you need a distro and then telling us you need X, Y and Z after the fact isn't too helpfu

I am making this for everyone to find website for ppl like me with trash laptops not just me

6 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Lack of x86-64 limits your choices a lot.

If you're not familiar with Linux, I'd recommend Debian as your foray into it.

https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

Pick the i386 version.

Edit: Full install here:  https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/#stable

Again, pick i386 DVD.

Thanks and I know about the x64 limitations I bought this pc when it came out it was my first system so I'm trying to keep it going I installed an ssd today but it is not recognize by my bios and I updated my bios but still no luck do you maybe know how to fix this

Just now, Surestgarlic2 said:

Thanks and I know about the x64 limitations I bought this pc when it came out it was my first system so I'm trying to keep it going I installed an ssd today but it is not recognize by my bios and I updated my bios but still no luck do you maybe know how to fix this

Which SSD did you install, and are you sure it's seated fully into the SATA connector?

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Just now, svmlegacy said:

Which SSD did you install, and are you sure it's seated fully into the SATA connector?

Kingston hdd replacement 120 gb I installed windows to the ssd when I booted from cd and if go-to the boot menu with my old hard drive installed and then take the hdd out and install the ssd with it on then boot from hitachi hdd it will boot that slot

6 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

Kingston hdd replacement 120 gb I installed windows to the ssd when I booted from cd and if go-to the boot menu with my old hard drive installed and then take the hdd out and install the ssd with it on then boot from hitachi hdd it will boot that slot

I'm sorry... are you hot swapping SATA drives?

Either way... enable AHCI in BIOS if available, install the SSD, and the load up a CD installer. The SSD should be available to install to, either via Windows or Linux.

29 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Either way... enable AHCI in BIOS if available, install the SSD, and the load up a CD installer. The SSD should be available to install to, either via Windows or Linux.

No bios does not have ahci and I need ssd to be recognized to my bios my laptop cannot be turned of until I get fixed

34 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

And yes I am hot swapping sata drives

I think you're approaching the whole topic from the wrong angle. 

Linux is GPL. All distributions are free. Always have been, always will. You can simply visit their respective websites and they will gladly direct you to the ISO downloads, and often have mirrors listed. There is no need to gather that info in a thread. Just find out which flavor tickles your fancy and one google search later, you can click download. 

There are special lightweight versions of most popular distros that are designed to run on older hardware. 

As to your SSD problem: If you simply copied all the data from the old drive to the new one, it will not boot. You need to make that drive bootable or use a tool to clone your drive. 

One gig RAM?

TinyCore

Slax

Slitaz

Puppy

To heck with 'popular' -- only one even close is Puppy and stll it is considered and arcane version.