Quite literally the most embarassing story in the history of the PC Master Race.

derpkotacasper

First post, but I have been on the prowl for hardware all day and I'm a huge fan of the channel so I decided someone might get a kick out of this. My step-grandmother (we'll just call her grandma) lives literally right next door. My mom installed a gate in the fence so they could just walk on through and say hi whenever. Well... I recently moved back into town and grandma did what grandmas do to young tech guys. She asked me for help with her computers. She wanted the Windows widget popups to go away, she wanted Chrome to boot on start up (Run shell:startup, add Chrome shortcut.) She could not figure out why her printer would work from her husband's rig, but not scan and why hers just wouldn't work. Now, being that she's a grandma, that's an obvious answer.. Let's find out how old this thing is, and what kind of driver I need to install. Pulled up properties to look at Windows...

her email checking machine has the same FX-6300 processor my gaming rig does. I don't give a damn about the market anymore. It's time for an upgrade. I already bought a board and RAM...

PS. Her husband has a stock market rig set up. It has six screens. I'm not proud to say this, but I may have been aroused at grandma's house today.

Happy to help.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi6)\\Ryzen 3 3100 OC 4.5GHz @1.26V\\Corsair H60\\G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2666 CL19\\WD Black SN750 512GB PCIe 3.0 NVMe\\WD 1TB Storage HDD\\EVGA 600B\\Power Color Radeon RX6600 XT 8GB\\ASUS TUF Gaming 23.8" IPS 144Hz@1080p\\Corsair 220T RGB\\Corsair K55 RGB Pro\\Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury

I was humiliated that I'm using the same CPU to game as my grandma does to check her emails and was hoping someone might find it funny...

Happy to help.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi6)\\Ryzen 3 3100 OC 4.5GHz @1.26V\\Corsair H60\\G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2666 CL19\\WD Black SN750 512GB PCIe 3.0 NVMe\\WD 1TB Storage HDD\\EVGA 600B\\Power Color Radeon RX6600 XT 8GB\\ASUS TUF Gaming 23.8" IPS 144Hz@1080p\\Corsair 220T RGB\\Corsair K55 RGB Pro\\Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury

3 hours ago, derpkotacasper said:

I was humiliated that I'm using the same CPU to game as my grandma does to check her emails and was hoping someone might find it funny...

Thanks for updating us on your status.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

4 hours ago, derpkotacasper said:

her email checking machine has the same FX-6300 processor my gaming rig does. I don't give a damn about the market anymore. It's time for an upgrade. I already bought a board and RAM...

At first glance, I thought you're going to upgrade your grandma's computer lmao.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

5 hours ago, derpkotacasper said:

Yeah, that is extremely embarrasing. You're wasting her money. Instead of fixing her problems you just made her buy new parts. Good one.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yeah, that is extremely embarrasing. You're wasting her money. Instead of fixing her problems you just made her buy new parts. Good one.

I don't believe they are upgrading their grandmothers PC. They are upgrading their own PC because it has the same CPU that their grandmothers old low end system has and it made them realise how old and crappy their PC was.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 hours ago, derpkotacasper said:

I may have been aroused at grandma's house today.

This sounds so wrong out of context.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

33 minutes ago, Spotty said:

They are upgrading their own PC because it has the same CPU that their grandmothers old low end system has and it made them realise how old and crappy their PC was.

And yet they didn't think they needed an upgrade until seeing the Grandmother's PC, which if that was the trigger, then maybe they don't need an upgrade after all.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

What if your grandma has a badass rgb gaming rig and she hacks the world governments with it?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

And yet they didn't think they needed an upgrade until seeing the Grandmother's PC, which if that was the trigger, then maybe they don't need an upgrade after all.

He should've just downgraded his grandma's PC with a cheapo optiplex. 

Main Rig :

Laptop :

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

This is what makes this an embarrassing story for the OP

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

10 hours ago, derpkotacasper said:

First post, but I have been on the prowl for hardware all day and I'm a huge fan of the channel so I decided someone might get a kick out of this. My step-grandmother (we'll just call her grandma) lives literally right next door. My mom installed a gate in the fence so they could just walk on through and say hi whenever. Well... I recently moved back into town and grandma did what grandmas do to young tech guys. She asked me for help with her computers. She wanted the Windows widget popups to go away, she wanted Chrome to boot on start up (Run shell:startup, add Chrome shortcut.) She could not figure out why her printer would work from her husband's rig, but not scan and why hers just wouldn't work. Now, being that she's a grandma, that's an obvious answer.. Let's find out how old this thing is, and what kind of driver I need to install. Pulled up properties to look at Windows...

PS. Her husband has a stock market rig set up. It has six screens. I'm not proud to say this, but I may have been aroused at grandma's house today.

Wrong move buddy.Break your grandmas pc.Say that she should buy new one,and then as a good grandson you can offer her yours and say you are saving money for a new one anyway,since this one isnt good enough for studying/work,and you will somehow survive next couple of months without computer until you save money.She will refuse but you insist.

Then grandma ask you ''oh my sweet dear grandson,how much does a new computer cost'' then you say some nice amount but keep it realistic since well she is your grandma,aaaand then she gives you money and you buy a new pc.

10 hours ago, derpkotacasper said:

I don't give a damn about the market anymore. It's time for an upgrade. I already bought a board and RAM...

PC enthusiast mistake no. 1: comparing your own system to that of others and attempting to beat them.

I did the same thing for quite some time. Nowadays, I couldn't care less about the specs of my machine so long as it just does what I use it for. Who cares what PC your cousin, grandma, or classmate has, it's about the machine you use, and whether it's good enough for what you need to do. 

Now don't try and come up with some BS excuse to justify the upgrade, because it's unlikely you'll find a good one.

3 minutes ago, Zulu-Cheese-Alpha-IV said:

Whoever this person is, a shady and untruthful swine who targets others to gain from them, hopefully this person will get educated by people who know how to fight back.

The person above you? Use the reply function to avoid confusion. I thought you meant the OP.

Main Rig :

Laptop :

Just now, Fatih19 said:

The person above you? Use the reply function to avoid confusion. I thought you meant the OP.

I made a stupid post hence the edit.

"Quite literally" sounds a little hyperbolic :^)

It's not really embarassing to not be flexing high-end hardware, whether or not you even need it. Sounds like it hasn't been giving you much trouble by the way you came to realize it's a bit dated of a CPU

This thread has convinced me. I need to do something extra nice for my grandma.

Does anyone want to donate a 5950X and a 3090?

I want for her to be done checking her emails before she realizes she was checking her emails.

Happy to help.

FYI we have a dedicated topic for threads like this...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Pointless thread...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566