Can't get external monitor to run at 144hz, 1440p off of laptop

Hey all,

I have an HP gaming laptop that has a 144hz, 1080p built in display. I also have a 1440p, 144hz external monitor that I use with my desktop, running through a displayport cable. 

The issue I am seeing is, even though I have the external monitor set at 1440p, 144hz in NVidia control panel and in Windows' display setting, this configuration is not available in games that I run. I have tried Overwatch, COD Cold War and Valheim. I am only able to select 1080p, 144hz or 1440p, 60hz in-game.

Now, I am using the exact same displayport cable that I use for my desktop through a USB C adapter - this problem actually did not exist prior to me sending my laptop back to HP for a bad NVME drive under warranty. But, since I have gotten it back, this problem persists. I have tried what I know and the only solution that I can find is only showing the display on the external monitor, ie. not duplicating the displays in Windows. This is fine I guess, but I like to use the 144hz, 1080p screen as a second monitor while I play (again, I used to do this prior to sending it to HP). 

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

[Desktop]  [Ryzen 5 3600 6c/12t Stock]  [2x8gb DDR4 @ 3200MHz]  [RTX 3070 Ti FE Stock]  [Oculus Rift S]

[Laptop]  [i5-10300h 4c/8c @ up to 4.5GHz]  [2x8gb DDR4 @ 2933MHz]  [1660ti Max-Q]  [Oculus Rift S]