What is the best budget Motherboard for Ryzen 5000s

I am looking at getting a Ryzen 5 3600x but want to prepare a potential upgrade route while saving a buck down the line when I (eventually) upgrade to a 5000 series. 

7BE190B9-30F8-45B9-8992-C8FD21BAE47A.png

B550 is probably your best bet. If you’re going to upgrade in the future you should go with the 3600 instead of the 3600x.

Affordable B450 motherboards are compatible, as well as X470. The MAX series from MSI is compelling.

That chart you have is out of date, AMD published a revised version that lists Zen 3 CPUs as compatible with 400 series chipsets.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Affordable B450 motherboards are compatible, as well as X470. The MAX series from MSI is compelling.

That chart you have is out of date, AMD published a revised version that lists Zen 3 CPUs as compatible with 400 series chipsets.

Should be better off with a 550 since it has support for pcie gen 4 and other new features

48 minutes ago, PlayerLoler said:

Should be better off with a 550 since it has support for pcie gen 4 and other new features

PCIe 4.0 hasn't proven to be too relevant to the average gamer, if OP wanted to expand into something professional that needed ultra fast storage that might be important but I would have assumed it would be mentioned in the original post if that were the case.

The only other feature I can think of is resizeable BAR support but if I recall that was back ported to older chipsets recently. Aside from that I'm not sure what the average B550 motherboard would offer dollar-for-dollar in this case.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Sorenson said:

B550 is probably your best bet. If you’re going to upgrade in the future you should go with the 3600 instead of the 3600x.

I had my eye on the ASUS Rog Strix B550-F because it has two m.2 slots and a nice touch of RGB but it’s quite pricey and I have a budget

B692BB16-C58C-4BB9-9D0A-F4A17CEF8B9D.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Celestial9087 said:

I had my eye on the ASUS Rog Strix B550-F because it has two m.2 slots and a nice touch of RGB but it’s quite pricey and I have a budget

B692BB16-C58C-4BB9-9D0A-F4A17CEF8B9D.jpeg

If you’re on a budget anything from Asus with “Strix” should be out. I would recommend MSI tomahawk.

I'd go for the B550-A Pro over the Tomahawk, it's basically the same board with a few less extreme overclocking features for a decent bit less.

The B550M Pro-VDH is a more budget-friendly mATX option if you want to save a bit more. It doesn't have quite as much power delivery but will still handle a 12 or 16 core just fine.

The B550 Tomahawk also has 2 M.2 slots 🙂

Ryzen 5 3600 | Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 | XFX 6700XT 319 Black | 16GB 3200Mhz CL16 | 600W BeQuiet  Pure Power 11

18 hours ago, Sorenson said:

If you’re on a budget anything from Asus with “Strix” should be out. I would recommend MSI tomahawk.

The Tomahawk or the B550-A?

1A59D340-FAE2-41C5-8944-A317F0CFE8D1.png

If you need wifi, go with the B550 Pro VDH-WIFI

If you are fitting a 5800x or 5600x a B550-A-Pro would be ideal. The B550 tomahawk is also a great option. I don’t see much of a reason to get the B550-F Gaming unless you have the budget and NEED wifi 6

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

2 hours ago, Celestial9087 said:

The Tomahawk or the B550-A?

1A59D340-FAE2-41C5-8944-A317F0CFE8D1.png

I personally like MSI’s bios for the fan control since Asus limits your control. I’ve used both MSI and Asus and they’ve both been good feature wise. However, my Asus mobo had an issue that took Asus 5 months to fix, which is why I’m now using an MSI mobo.