is 4 cores enough for recording gameplay?

hi. i'm planning on buying a gaming laptop (nitro 5) that has an i5-10300h and an rtx 3060 6gb... can it handle recording gameplay?

i was originally planning on building a desktop but i can't find any gpu's.. so i just settled on buying a budget good value gaming laptop instead.. i wish to record gameplay with my friends and edit photos and videos..

thanks in advance

Yes. Its not like world wasnt recording gameplay before we had 8 cores in "gaming" machines. 

1 minute ago, iCHeWiE said:

can it handle recording gameplay?

yes

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Depends on the games being recorded. 4core CPUs are pretty much obsolete for gaming in general and are a bottleneck in most AAA games these days. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Levent said:

Yes. Its not like world wasnt recording gameplay before we had 8 cores in "gaming" machines. 

yes

True, but games used to not be as demanding on the CPU in the past as well.

You might be able to pull it off with quad core, depending on the games you're streaming, but no, that's generally not considered enough. Though, if you have an Nvidia card with NVENC, then that will help considerably.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

3 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

True, but games used to not be as demanding on the CPU in the past as well.

You might be able to pull it off with quad core, depending on the games you're streaming, but no, that's generally not considered enough. Though, if you have an Nvidia card with NVENC, then that will help considerably.

the laptop i'm planning on buying has a 3060 6gb.. will that do?

Just now, iCHeWiE said:

It has NVENC, so as long as whatever you're using to stream supports that, you'll probably be fine.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

It has NVENC, so as long as whatever you're using to stream supports that, you'll probably be fine.

that's good to know... thank you , star lord

13 minutes ago, iCHeWiE said:

4 cores becomes irrelvant in this case, it has nvenc so the gpu will encode with barely any loss in performance

23 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

4 cores becomes irrelvant in this case, it has nvenc so the gpu will encode with barely any loss in performance

thank you. i totally forgot about nvenc when i posted this.

If you don't strictly need portability, you can get desktops with 30 series in prebuilts.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Depends on the game, some games yes, some games no, even with nvenc

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Depends on the games being recorded. 4core CPUs are pretty much obsolete for gaming in general and are a bottleneck in most AAA games these days. 

no that's not true, my i3-10100 is doing very well in modern games.

(my gtx 1070 though, isn't)

-> Moved to PC Gaming

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Also depends on what quality and resolution he is going to play and record. 720p - sure no problem, 1080p - it will be a struggle with most modern AAA titles. Cyberpunk for example at 1080p with High/Ultra details takes 7GB+ of VRAM. That's why the new gen of AMD cards have 16 and 12 Gigs of VRAM, cause you'll need 10Gigs+ for 1440p which AMD are focusing on. I really doubt that 6Gig 3060 is gonna handle everything fine at 1080p unless it's stuff like CS:GO, Fortnite and the usual low-tier games.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

4 cores and 8 threads is more likely....

Not a true 4 core.

Will run any recent game just fine on 60hz. Use NVENC or AMD-VCE