Is Windows Command Processor A virus or is it an actual Microsoft application

fastdevastator
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

That's the command prompt, no it's not malicious at all.

Cmd.exe runs the Command Prompt, a command line interpreter for Windows. This is a system component.

It sometimes runs in my background processes in task manager while playing games such as cod cold war & overwatch and it is located in C:/Windows/System 32 and its properties say that it is Microsoft Corporation copyrighted. I've asked around on reddit and they said that its not a virus but why does it run in background application when doing certain things like gaming. Have I been given false advice and it is a virus, or is it just something that windows, games or drivers does anyways. Thanks

image.thumb.png.2edcdd9383a92c03bbec82f2ee6f4ea2.png

image.thumb.png.2cb9c1880c33617626cc2c6bfb2ced3d.png

image.thumb.png.80b9fa3f2c1c748ba9fd891297608b53.png

image.thumb.png.e3a77cd727d0adb30084ec199e9523cc.png

Here are some screenshots 

Cmd.exe runs the Command Prompt, a command line interpreter for Windows. This is a system component.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

That is most likely not a virus. It is built in to Windows and is the Command Prompt program (search for Command Prompt in your Start Menu and you will find it).

It can be seen running in the background if another program uses it for some reason, so most often it is legit and nothing to be concerned about. However, in some cases, it can be used by a virus to do something bad, so if you are unsure, then you can run a virus scan to be safe. The built-in Windows Defender is good enough for this. However, I don't think it is being used for anything malicious, it's probably just another program that is using it to run commands or something.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Thanks, My bad

1 hour ago, Husky said:

That is most likely not a virus. It is built in to Windows and is the Command Prompt program (search for Command Prompt in your Start Menu and you will find it).

It can be seen running in the background if another program uses it for some reason, so most often it is legit and nothing to be concerned about. However, in some cases, it can be used by a virus to do something bad, so if you are unsure, then you can run a virus scan to be safe. The built-in Windows Defender is good enough for this. However, I don't think it is being used for anything malicious, it's probably just another program that is using it to run commands or something.

thanks got it , ran scans with defender, mcafee and Malwarebytes and it says its all good so no need to worry 👍